Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 11:12 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,147 times

Advertisements

And since we are quoting..here is one of my favorites:

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste." And that really has become the root problem of everything...let's think about what we do, what we say, and how we treat people. Raising kids to value themselves, their families, their peers, and life will pay dividends and make everyone's lives better...and that all starts as home. We have lalready lost too many potentially great minds...

And that's my lecture for the day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 PM

49 posts, read 300,416 times
Smile I love El Barrio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
From my understanding a lot of Mexicans live in Spanish Harlem. As far as melting pot is concerned, it is not Utopia but a lot of people from different cultures intermingle with each other and get along pretty well.

It is a very people oriented community. People get along with one another when they respect others backgrounds.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:28 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,967 times
Puerto Ricans and Dominicans can afford to look down on Mexicans? LMFAO!!!! Yeah ok. Puerto Ricans are no longer illegal because Puerto Rico is now a territory of the US genius. Dominicans- different story. I think it's HILARIOUS how any of these races think they are better than the other. They all reproduce like flippin' rats and while UNFORTUNATELY there is a stigma against mexicans (and yes there are plenty of them-so you would fit in) when I'm at the grocery store all of them (not just mexicans) are pulling out their WIC slips and sliding their food stamp cards. So if any of you other races think you can "look down" on Mexicans take a quick look at yourself and realize..you're all on the same boat! LMFAO.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:36 PM

Wink This Is Hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
That does not allow Nuyoricans to be rascist, pompous and rude towards other. Its funny that everytime im on a full train or bus and people are trying to make their way through, the only people who say something are the Ricans or the Blacks. Or when buying something in a store, Ricans and Blacks are usually ones with the negative response. It's unfortunate that they became so dependant on the government but that doesn't mean that they cant go out and work and stop living off the government. Its all about progression. Dominicans first got here were dirt poor. They didn't have the government to rely on so they were forced to work. Decades later they are now the majority of people working in Bodegas, Barbershops, Beauty Salons, Taxis, and street vendors. Furthermore, their kids are getting the message. 22% of second generation Dominicans go on to graduate while its 11% for Mexican-Americans and 9% for Nuyoricans. It's little things like that, that Im looking for. Improvement of one's race and not the same constant struggle with poverty, crime and drugs that have plagued Nuyorican culture. One would think that after all these decades that Puerto Ricans have been here that they would improve their financial situation just like the Italians, Irish, Germans, Chinese etc did after a few generations. This is not the case. As they are still the poorest ethnic group in the city and the group that relies the most on public assistance. One would also think that they would hang on to their culture. All this flag waving and merchandise signifying Puerto Rico isn't going to cut it. Most of these people have never been to Puerto Rico and dont know jack **** of spanish. Dominicans have been coming here since the 60's. And yet most of the population knows spanish well. Most of the people go back to DR for the summer and send money back home to their families. PR's have been here for a couple of decades longer, since the 40's, and have completely abandoned the spanish language. All they know is a few words, like "Bendito", "Loca", or "Sala". You do not see this happening with no other group. And I guarantee you that 4 decades after this one, Dominicans would still know spanish. It's entrenched culture pride that Dominicans have and NuyoRicans falsely portray.

Im not going to say anything about the Puerto Ricans who improved their situation and moved elsewhere. Although they are still rascist, they are doing well. I admire that and wish them the best. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are cut from the same cloth and we share many of the same culture and ideals. I have family in Puerto Rico and have a cousin who is Puerto Rican. I have gone out with many Nuyorican girls and enjoyed them thoroughly. So its not hate that I have for them. I am just dissapointed and let down by them. Unfortunately, many Nuyoricans forget this and choose to fall further towards obscurity sorrounded by negative stereotypes and a long lost culture.
But damn! It sure seems like the truth. I hate to say it..lmfao..but I gotta agree with your SuperMario

Old 06-28-2008, 08:42 PM

Wink Unfortunately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxPride View Post
First of I just want to welcome all Mexicans and Mexican Americans to NYC. We love your food and culture. Cinco de Mayo is catching on in NYC! Replying to the original thread starter, I think there are many Mexicans in NYC, but mostly in Queens. I know there is also a substantial Mexican population in East Harlem.
..this isn't true. How do I know? I live in Corona...one of the biggest areas for mexicans...ecuadorians and dominicans. I was surprised that NOTHING was going on for Cinco De Mayo. Yes, I love mexican food..but culture is a different thing. Anyhow.I can't wait to move out of this HELL HOLE aka Corona. It's a soso area..not the worst..but it's semi-shady and DIRTY!!!... I live off the 111th stop and the dominicans are always pulling the cap off the firehydrant and running around like loudass savages, which makes it feel like more of a ghetto. I rather live back in Middle Village!
C ya

Old 06-28-2008, 09:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
..this isn't true. How do I know? I live in Corona...one of the biggest areas for mexicans...ecuadorians and dominicans. I was surprised that NOTHING was going on for Cinco De Mayo.
C ya
I guess you didn't know where to look. Huge cinco de mayo celebration in Flushing Meadows Corona Park
Eating In Translation: Cinco de Mayo Festival

Old 06-28-2008, 09:23 PM

Talking LOL If that's what you call a celebration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I guess you didn't know where to look. Huge cinco de mayo celebration in Flushing Meadows Corona Park
Eating In Translation: Cinco de Mayo Festival
I live one stop from there...NADA. One park get together doesn't equal a party for the whole city. When I have gone to other parts of the US, where Mexican's are somewhat dominant, it's MUCH more apparent that it is Cinco De Mayo. But anyhow...I'm not on here to talk about Cinco De Mayo per se...I celebrate the 4th of July lol. NOT Cinco De Mayo. My previous comment was an observation of my surroundings on Cinco De Mayo.

Last edited by Viralmd; 06-29-2008 at 05:39 AM..

Old 06-28-2008, 09:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
I live one stop from there...NADA. One park get together doesn't equal a party for the whole city. When I have gone to other parts of the US, where Mexican's are somewhat dominant, it's MUCH more apparent that it is Cinco De Mayo. But anyhow...I'm not on here to talk about Cinco De Mayo per se...I celebrate the 4th of July lol. NOT Cinco De Mayo. My previous comment was an observation of my surroundings on Cinco De Mayo.
BTW...do I have a little fan or something? You seem to go into to my profile and follow me onto every board I post. Welcome! LOL
Just trying to stem the tide.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:26 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,596 times
Quite a few in Sunset Park, BK. Also moving into Spanish Harlem.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:19 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times
I don't think Mexicans really celebrate Cinco De Mayo, its more of an Americanized-Mexican holiday. (It does exist in Mexico, but it isn't a big deal like in the USA). The Mexicans in NYC are usually precent recent arrivals, and haven't been Americanized too much, while those in places like Texas and California have often been here for decades. As a result many Mexicans in the rest of the country will celebrate our Americanized Mexicans holidays and eat at Americanized Mexican fast food joints (Del Taco, etc).

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City