Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:43 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times

Advertisements

Sunset Park in Brooklyn also has a significant Mexican population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:09 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Crispy: I have to disagree greatly with you about your assessment of Miami Cubans. They are in fact notorius for deadly street gangs involved in the drug trade...ever seen Scarface? The gang problem is quite serious in Miami, and South Florida for that matter, and Cubans are at the center of it. Although the Cuban working class neighborhoods look nice and well maintained, and no doubt the sunshine, palm trees, and tropical breezes enhance the neighborhood in ways that NYC neighborhoods could not, nonetheless the gang culture is pervasive and entrenched. A little off topic....but something that should be noted and it quite prevalent and strong today.
Specifically Marielitos were known for that and that was pretty much contained to the 1980's. You really don't hear about gangs in Cuban neighborhoods anymore; I would say that most Cuban-committed crime is more white collar (money fraud, corruption, etc.) and less street. Not many muggings, beatings, shootouts happen in Cuban neighborhoods, at least not in South Florida.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
I have read that the Mexican population is most concentrated in Queens. However, you guys are right that Sunset Park Brooklyn, East Harlem, and parts of northern Manhattan and the Bronx have lots of Mexicans as well. Though I don't doubt that some of the Mexican youths are up to no good up in the Bronx, everywhere I have ever been (I am just speaking from my own experience, I'm not trying claim that this is a fact) pretty much any young mestizo/indigenous-looking man is WORKING and not milling around the streets on the corner causing trouble, being loud, and harrassing people. Contrast this to what Guy says about young, male members of certain other groups up in the Bronx / northern Manhattan. Maybe I just don't know the "bad" Mexican areas; I could be totally wrong but I'm just saying what I've observed in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Quote:
Crispy: I have to disagree greatly with you about your assessment of Miami Cubans. They are in fact notorius for deadly street gangs involved in the drug trade...ever seen Scarface? The gang problem is quite serious in Miami, and South Florida for that matter, and Cubans are at the center of it. Although the Cuban working class neighborhoods look nice and well maintained, and no doubt the sunshine, palm trees, and tropical breezes enhance the neighborhood in ways that NYC neighborhoods could not, nonetheless the gang culture is pervasive and entrenched. A little off topic....but something that should be noted and it quite prevalent and strong today.
LOL, what? Scarface isn't reality, at least not any more. Most nicer Cuban areas around Miami look like they belong in Westchester they're so nice. Have you ever been to Coral Gables? It looks like Scarsdale down there.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:12 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
Scarface was in fact reality...as the Cuban controlled drug trade in Miami was as bad as the mafia up here...and more deadly in fact. The gang existed..and they exist..although to a lesser extent today. Crime rates in South Florida, and Miami in particular are quite high...due primarily to major entrenched gang controlled drug trade.

Yes there are wonderful areas in Miami...like Coral Gables...there are also wonderful areas in the Bronx like Riverdale...but this has little to do with the stark reality of drugs and crime in both NYC and Miami. It is totally off topic..but just want to maintain a reasonable perspective...Miami is in fact a drug infested high crime area....don't let the excellent tourist marketing, palm trees, and beautiful beaches fool you, anymore than 5th avenue in Midtown, Riverdale, or the Village should fool you about the real problems in NYC.

Regarding Mexicans...the only ones I am aware of are those in my community in the Bronx...and they are very busy working hard to support their large families..leaving little time for them to do much else...at least that has been my perception.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:42 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,219,784 times
Scarface lives in Juarez Mexico now!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:16 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times
Watch the documentary Cocaine Cowboys and you'll see how those Cubans really got down in the 80s.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:51 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Scarface was in fact reality...as the Cuban controlled drug trade in Miami was as bad as the mafia up here...and more deadly in fact. The gang existed..and they exist..although to a lesser extent today. Crime rates in South Florida, and Miami in particular are quite high...due primarily to major entrenched gang controlled drug trade.
Yeah but most of the crime commited in Miami nowadays are by the carribean drug cartels. Mostly the Jamaicans and the Haitians. The Cubans there are actually very well off. Maybe in the 80's the Cubans had the drug trade down but its no different that the Dominicans in the 80's up in NYC. Most low income groups turn to drug trafficking. Which is why the two poorest groups in Miami, the Jamaicans and the Haitians are the ones commiting most of the crimes.

Quote:
Yes there are wonderful areas in Miami...like Coral Gables...there are also wonderful areas in the Bronx like Riverdale...but this has little to do with the stark reality of drugs and crime in both NYC and Miami. It is totally off topic..but just want to maintain a reasonable perspective...Miami is in fact a drug infested high crime area....don't let the excellent tourist marketing, palm trees, and beautiful beaches fool you, anymore than 5th avenue in Midtown, Riverdale, or the Village should fool you about the real problems in NYC.
Yeah but you fail to mention that Riverdale is a primarily white. The group your attacking, the Cubans, make up the majority of Miami. So these wonderful areas are inhabited by them. I would like you to name me one Puerto Rican or Dominican or even Mexican neighborhood in NYC that you would call wonderful?

South Bronx, Washington Heights and East Harlem sure as hell aint wonderful.

Quote:
Regarding Mexicans...the only ones I am aware of are those in my community in the Bronx...and they are very busy working hard to support their large families..leaving little time for them to do much else...at least that has been my perception.
Dominican and Mexican parents are hardworking. The kids are troublesome. Puerto Rican parents AND kids are rats. Just like black parents and kids. Nasty attitudes by the later two. It has something to do with the fact that Dominican and Mexican parents cant rely on government help and therefore must make ends meet on their own. Puerto Ricans and Black parents can sit on their lazy asses and recieve help while shoving their superiorty and snotty attituteds to the new immigrants.

Of course, the kids of all dont have to worry about none of that. That is why they're all scums.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
Isn't that an interesting concept, people not eligible for welfare are forced to get off there asses and go find a jobs, which they do, instead of hanging out on street corners being losers harassing people that walk by.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:03 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
SuperWario..I think you went alittle overboard on your post. I am not attacking anyone, or group..I am just adding a dose of reality...as Miami was and is a major drug trafficking area due to Cuban gangs. This is not an attack..just reality. Other groups no doubt have their hands in the pot too and are supplanting Cubans..nonetheless...crime is high in Miami.

Regarding "wonderful" communities of color, there are none that are not white..whether they are hispanic, black, caribbean, whatever...PR, DRs, and Mexicans don't have the market cornered on bad neighborhoods. If you want to see nice communities of color...go to Atlanta, many cities across the southwest, Central Florida, etc. NYC is the mecca of poverty for people of color, while other cities have flourished with middle class enclaves of every denomination. And by the way...go to little Havana and tell me how wonderful and well off Cubans are...they have their low income communities also...and it sure ain't pretty..even with the palm trees.

Furthermore, Cubans, PRs, DRs, Mexicans, etc are all hardworking...the problem lies in the complete ghettoization of entire populations of our society...when these immigrants arrived to NYC..they came by plane , at least the PRs did, wearing suits and ties, with smiles, with families, and eager to work, and work hard...and were happy to do so. However, they were met with anger, hostility, hate, violence, and extreme segregation...and were stripped of their culture, self-esteem, education and employment opportunities, and denied any and all resources to help them improve themselves in anyway.

So you may believe they just sit around and are lazy....but the fact remains...this problem has nothing to do with being PR, for example, and everything to do with being PR in NYC .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City