Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:00 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times

Advertisements

Mexicans are not a well-established group here in NYC. However, they tend to work hard, keep to themselves, and to not cause a lot of crime. If you guys want to talk about "Hispanic" groups, there are too many bad Dominican and Puerto Rican neighborhoods for anyone to really be worried about a Mexican area. There are very, very few Mexican-Americans here, and I only hope that when that generation grows up, they will not buy into the whole second generation "Latino"-American street culture of which so many Puerto Rican and Dominican youths are part. Plenty of good PR's and Dominicans in this city but I have to be honest, there is a terrible, terrible "ghetto" street culture that affects many youths of those groups and thankfully Mexican kids don't really seem to be part of that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:21 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Mexicans are not a well-established group here in NYC. However, they tend to work hard, keep to themselves, and to not cause a lot of crime. If you guys want to talk about "Hispanic" groups, there are too many bad Dominican and Puerto Rican neighborhoods for anyone to really be worried about a Mexican area. There are very, very few Mexican-Americans here, and I only hope that when that generation grows up, they will not buy into the whole second generation "Latino"-American street culture of which so many Puerto Rican and Dominican youths are part. Plenty of good PR's and Dominicans in this city but I have to be honest, there is a terrible, terrible "ghetto" street culture that affects many youths of those groups and thankfully Mexican kids don't really seem to be part of that here.
The ghetto street culture affects many youths in any culture. If you've lived in NYC since you were young, you'd know what I'm talking about.

I've seen Mexican gangbangers threaten another Mexican kid with a knife because of the color of his beads. The kid then ran into my store for safety. And even with a group of grown P.R's grilling them down, the gangbangers said "i'll cut you open, ****!". lol at the moment it was serious, but afterwards it was funny

Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
Quote:

You bring up something interesting. I lived in Birmingham, Al for a while b/f moving to NYC. There is a large Mexican area in that city, (as with many cities in the South) they even call it "little Mexico" Most of it is low income housing or cheaper apartment housing. The area is very low income, but is in no way ghetto. It is clean and relatively crime free. The people are hard working and stay out of trouble, but most are illegal. What is the difference do you think? Urban vs semi-urban (Birmingham is 2mil I think)? Or does it have to do with the different cultures?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
You bring up something interesting. I lived in Birmingham, Al for a while b/f moving to NYC. There is a large Mexican area in that city, (as with many cities in the South) they even call it "little Mexico" Most of it is low income housing or cheaper apartment housing. The area is very low income, but is in no way ghetto. It is clean and relatively crime free. The people are hard working and stay out of trouble, but most are illegal. What is the difference do you think? Urban vs semi-urban (Birmingham is 2mil I think)? Or does it have to do with the different cultures?
I think it has to do with the different cultures. NY is like no other C

Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM

That is a good point. However, if what crisp444 said is true, then the different cities would not be the difference. When I said cultures, I was referring to P.R. vs Dominican vs Mexican, and also illegal (growing up elsewhere) and legal (growing up in America)

Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 PM

Rudbeckia, culture is exactly what I meant. First generation Mexicans do not have a violent, ghetto culture that unfortunately characterizes African-American, Dominican, Jamaican, and Puerto Rican neighborhoods here in New York. Even working class Cuban neighborhoods in South Florida are DRASTICALLY different places than working class Dominican or Puerto Rican neighborhoods (in my opinion). Cuban neighborhoods are generally safer, cleaner, better maintained, and have little to no gang violence. I grew up in South Florida and though there aren't many Mexicans, the areas with large Mexican presence aren't known as dangerous. There's one area that is predominately Mexican / Central American that borders an area that is African-American. The two neighborhoods feel very different. As one poster said in the Miami forum, one may be the "barrio," but the other is "da hood," and feels like it. Crime rate and unemployment are probably the biggest indicators of these differences.

Mexicans were smart for moving to Queens; it's smart for them to try to keep their children away from the ghetto "Latino"-American street culture that unfortunately has such a presence in northern Manhattan and the Bronx. Like I have said and will repeat again, though there are PLENTY of good Puerto Rican and Dominican young people, much too high a percentage of these groups fall victim to this culture to which I am referring. As much as it would be nice to talk about "Latino unity," I would have to advise against it in the case of Mexicans because they are just establishing themselves here and will probably want to distance themselves from the bad northern Manhattan and the Bronx neighborhoods that give Puerto Rican and Dominican youths such a bad rap in this city.

Last edited by Marlin331; 06-03-2008 at 09:22 PM..

Old 06-03-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Rudbecking, culture is exactly what I meant. First generation Mexicans do not have a violent, ghetto culture that unfortunately characterizes African-American, Dominican, Jamaican, and Puerto Rican neighborhoods here in New York.

Mexicans were smart for moving to Queens; it's smart for them to try to keep their children away from the ghetto "Latino"-American street culture that unfortunately has such a presence in northern Manhattan and the Bronx. Like I have said and will repeat again, though there are PLENTY of good Puerto Rican and Dominican young people, much too high a percentage of these groups fall victim to this culture to which I am referring. As much as it would be nice to talk about "Latino unity," I would have to advise against it in the case of Mexicans because they are just establishing themselves here and will probably want to distance themselves from the bad northern Manhattan and the Bronx neighborhoods that give Puerto Rican and Dominican youths such a bad rap in this city.
For some reason I cant agree with anything you are talking about because its all subjective

Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 PM

That's fine; it's all my opinion anyways... I'm not stating as fact what I'm saying.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Rudbeckia, culture is exactly what I meant. First generation Mexicans do not have a violent, ghetto culture that unfortunately characterizes African-American, Dominican, Jamaican, and Puerto Rican neighborhoods here in New York. Even working class Cuban neighborhoods in South Florida are DRASTICALLY different places than working class Dominican or Puerto Rican neighborhoods (in my opinion). Cuban neighborhoods are generally safer, cleaner, better maintained, and have little to no gang violence. I grew up in South Florida and though there aren't many Mexicans, the areas with large Mexican presence aren't known as dangerous. There's one area that is predominately Mexican / Central American that borders an area that is African-American. The two neighborhoods feel very different. As one poster said in the Miami forum, one may be the "barrio," but the other is "da hood," and feels like it. Crime rate and unemployment are probably the biggest indicators of these differences.

I think you make some interesting observations. I am not sure it is fair though to say that Mexicans didn't grow up in the New York ghetto culture, so that in some way contributes to their lower crime, higher employment way of life. The environments they are fleeing from (where they grew up) are not much better in many cases. Ghettos in Mexico, from what I have read and from what Mexicans I have worked with have told me, can in some ways be much worse.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:58 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
..... illegal (growing up elsewhere) and legal (growing up in America).....
Legal and illegal refers to how you "enter" the country or your status IN the country and not neccessarily where you grow up. For example with the DV Visa Lottery, someone can "grow up" in mauritania, "win" the lottery and emigrate here. That's a legal immigrant..... Some enter without any documentation and some enter with legal documentation which may expire and at that point, they become illegal. There are people who grow up elsewhere and end up as U.S citizens e.g Terminator X

CRISP - The "latino" culture you're referring to is quite broad I think - there are serious gang feuds in jackson heights for example and it involves lots of ethnicities and not just Dr/PR - MS-13 is spreading over there if I'm not mistaken and they are mainly Elsalvadorans..... I have seen some things in the high 80s and 90s and massive HUPS in Jackson heights/corona and even in Queens Bridge, so, it's in no way restricted to the bronx and the heights. Over all it's really pathetic and sad how many lives are lost to thuggery and street life - any life lost to that "lifestyle" is such a waste...which should be the concern really and not necc which ethnicity is good or bad - a life is a life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City