Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:58 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooks View Post
Also, a thing about internships--don't they usually want college students or those just out of college? I'm (ehem) 33 and making a career change.
You'll just have to work that much harder because of your age. I hate to say it, but publishing in this town is mostly about taking advantage of the willingness of young (mostly) women to work for peanuts.

There is some small publisher out there who will take you as an intern. At this point with four months and no bites, you have to take anything in the field to start making connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Also, don't completely reject freelance work. It's a way to get your foot in the door. Companies will prefer having you as a freelancer because they don't have to pay you any benefits--but a good freelancer can usually press for a fulltime position.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:08 AM

55 posts, read 124,257 times
Chook i sent you a message

Old 07-30-2008, 01:22 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
Your only solution is to find work in another industry until you get your dream job

if you do not mind me asking but what does a publisher do exactly, what is the day to day routine, I am curious

Heck you may even find that you like another job while you are waiting to get into publishing

Old 07-30-2008, 01:53 PM

190 posts, read 814,240 times
Chook, what is it exactly that you do? Are you looking to get into editing? What is your published work? I worked for one of the majors and I'm still tight (I hope) with the VP of HR and her entire staff. Let me know what you want and I will try to arrange something. No promises though.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:06 PM

52 posts, read 256,908 times
Hi, Schiphol! My recent work has been in lifestyle, weddings and I've written a couple of advertorials for San Diego Magazine and Exquisite Weddings Magazine (published twice yearly). Eight years ago, I worked for a magazine called Asia in America, which focused on Asian issues/events in San Diego, so my portfolio contains approximately 20 published pieces. I sold a small business to move here, so I have marketing experience, as well. When I spoke to my contact at Harper's Bazaar, she looked at my experience and suggested getting in as an associate merchandising manager. I'm looking to get work as either a staff writer/assistant editor and eventually work my way up to an editor position at a national consumer magazine. Schiphol, can you send me a message with your email address? I really appreciate your offer to help someone you don't know! Very sweet!

Old 07-30-2008, 02:51 PM

274 posts, read 1,108,894 times
Quote:
What would one do in this situation? Keep plugging away until all the saving are gone? Be financially smart, move back home, and try to find a job from there? Either in NY or SoCal? I'm just really confused. Each month I write the rent check, I cringe, knowing that so much more $ is going out than coming in! I'm at a crossroads. Another thing, I don't want to feel like a failure, going home, facing friends and family after tooting my horn about moving to NYC and coming back not having found a job.
Congrats! It sounds like you're having the "Authentic Manhattan Experience" for Manhattan transplants that don't have a trust fund:

Handing over thousands to the landlord every month, being broke, unemployed/working at slave wages/slaving away for years at some BS job while waiting for your dream job, etc.

At least you aren't sharing your apt with 1 or 2 other dirty, ramen-eating roommates.

Now you know that the NYC hype is just a Manhattan ploy we use to lure transplants here to drain your savings into our pockets and replenish the army of office temps and restaurant workers who serve us.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:56 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,543 times
Quote:
What would one do in this situation? Keep plugging away until all the saving are gone? Be financially smart, move back home, and try to find a job from there? Either in NY or SoCal? I'm just really confused. Each month I write the rent check, I cringe, knowing that so much more $ is going out than coming in! I'm at a crossroads. Another thing, I don't want to feel like a failure, going home, facing friends and family after tooting my horn about moving to NYC and coming back not having found a job.
Hey don't feel so bad! I came from San Diego to make a living out here. At first the job market was crazy. I was getting calls up the wall! Now...it's slowwwwwww...and I mean BAD & SLOW. Thankfully I have a small savings but I was actually just telling my bf the other day that if I don't get something else..I rather GO BACK to SD and be poor and save money on college..all next to a nice beach..I mean..a lot of peeps struggle in SD..but b/c of the economy I think it's getting worse all over. It sort of scares me b/c if NYC is having a slow job market that means things are getting pretty rough.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:00 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Entry Level publishing jobs pay like $25-35k, no joke.
WOW that's crappppppy! What's the big deal about publishing anyway? Is it really realistic to think you will make it big?

Also, suggestions to chooks: Get a waiter/bartender job to cushion you. Can I ask where you live and what your rent looks like? If you want to stay you have to ration....and very hard at that!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,495 times
Quote:
Hey, y'all!

I fulfilled my NYC to move here from So Cal to find a job in publishing. I've a decent portfolio of published work, a couple of good connections and a million resumes sent out, yet still no job! Nay, not even an interview! I've even registered with a few temp agencies, and guess what? No temp work, either! Is it just the summer? Is it the economy? Is it the industry? Is it me? I'm open to constructive criticism, and I've had my resume professionally re-done. Not getting even ONE interview is extremely worrisome! I might have to move back to California and live with my parents if I don't find something soon! Any words of advice?
Just move to Buffalo NY - you will be employed immediately in any position you desire, AND Buffalo has the shortest commute times and cheapest cost of living than any other city in the US! - not to mention the cleanest city as well. Buffalo, New York is the city that never sleeps on the other side of New York State - (and it's the second largest behind NYC)!

Come share the Greatness of Buffalo!

Last edited by Buffalonian4life; 07-30-2008 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City