Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:37 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Two words about Whitestone: Cherry Valley.
I love Cherry Valley! Thanks for reminding me.. I haven't been there in a while, and I definitely need to go back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 05:56 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,130 times
^^^ Yeah. Amazing that one pair of delis can make the entire counties of Queens and Nassau salivate with the mere mention of its name.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 16,204 times
there is black and spanish folks dont forget were still in the qu

Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,972 times
It probably has something to do with the fact that most black people in NY aren't well educated and can't afford the high prices in the neighborhood. No offense, but it's the reason there aren't many white people in the south Bronx, they can live better.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:44 PM

142 posts, read 418,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguyfromQueens View Post
Im a black man living in whitestone Queens and wondering why there isnt so many black folks in this area i like it here alot its just like any hood in queens
I'm from ATL, black and I live in Queens... and I've noticed that there aren't many black people in NYC in general. I have yet to visit Harlem or The Bronx. This may be a generalization but it seems that most of the educated blacks have moved back to the south for economic oppurtunity.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM

201 posts, read 619,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaha View Post
It probably has something to do with the fact that most black people in NY aren't well educated and can't afford the high prices in the neighborhood. No offense, but it's the reason there aren't many white people in the south Bronx, they can live better.

I would'nt go that far. Harlem is coming up, even Bill Clinton bought a house there.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:07 PM

615 posts, read 545,324 times
I've always been against living in diverse areas, because it causes people to lose their identity. People in diverse areas are less likely to associate with their neighbors and have a strong community. The increase in diverse neighborhoods has been destructive, and created a generation of lemmings. You can be friendly with people of other cultures, races, and religions without having them as a neighbor, these kind of relationships can only flourish when everyone has their own space.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
It's one of those places that has historically not been diverse. Those black people with the financial clout to afford Whitestone probably live in the 'burbs.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
Default the irony of diversity

This is the irony of diversity; it supposedly celebrates different cultures but it does nothing but foster alienation and cultural homogeneity. With that in mind Whitestone is a semi-urban ethnic neighboorhood and diversity is not clebrated there. Mostly Greeks and Italians with a growing group of Koreans moving in. The correct description here would be cultural pluralism. Whitestone is a stronghold of ethnic New York; the way New York was before it was flipped into a bohemian-trustfunder playground. Whitestone may look like a middle class area but it really is a working class area with its traditional families, blue color workers and strong morality. Not a good place for someone just moving to the area looking to meet transient hipsters or yuppies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I've always been against living in diverse areas, because it causes people to lose their identity. People in diverse areas are less likely to associate with their neighbors and have a strong community. The increase in diverse neighborhoods has been destructive, and created a generation of lemmings. You can be friendly with people of other cultures, races, and religions without having them as a neighbor, these kind of relationships can only flourish when everyone has their own space.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noladarling View Post
I'm from ATL, black and I live in Queens... and I've noticed that there aren't many black people in NYC in general. I have yet to visit Harlem or The Bronx. This may be a generalization but it seems that most of the educated blacks have moved back to the south for economic oppurtunity.
What part of Queens are you in? I live in Queens and my area (zip 11413) is around 92% black according to the last census. Generally speaking you'll find the majority black areas (over 70% black) in eastern Brooklyn, central Harlem, south-east Queens and the north-east Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City