Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 PM

169 posts, read 419,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
which means the area would continue to decay.
First of all, my neighborhood is not decaying. It is thriving. There are few vacancies. It is filled to the brim with people. If you actually knew what you were talking about, you would understand clearly how overcrowded the parks are. I'm not complaining that the bx doesn't have adequate parkland; it does (in pelham bay, an hour from this neighborhood, or van courtlandt park, 45 minutes, which, if you want to compare to manhattan, is way further btw than anybody there has to travel). But as someone who lives across the street from Mullaly park, it makes no sense why possibly the most crowded park in the city just got reduced by nearly half for a smaller, more expensive stadium that exists across the street from the house that ruth built... explain that one. And oh yea, speaking of government watse, that project cost our federal state and local governments almost 1 billion. And you say it is being replaced by more parkland... that is simply an incorrect fact. First of all, almost none of this has been created, and the site they selected turns out to be contaminated, which will only cost our government more money. Second of all, we already have access to the river. We've had it forever, you can go there anytime you want. It just so happens that a park hasn't existed there because of the simple fact that is not located close to any neighborhood. Nobody in this neighborhood ever asked our government to spend money on building a park so far away. This is not the result of a community effort, and to note, our coummunity board voted against it. So if you want to say that me, my community board, and everybody in the neighborhood are wrong being somebody who doesn't even live here, go ahead. And one more thing to note about the stadium--they are building a whole food court inside, which essentially means that fans will be held captive to buy way more expensive food, which will take costumers away from businesses around the stadium. So I'm sorry MH dude, but I'm not convinced.

And for the record, I'm all about some of the new housing developments, even though clearly many of these new townhomes and affordable housing is in worse condition than the buildings built nearly a century ago, as you can see from the rust, the falling bricks (which is not even used structurally, just as a fake and poorly constructed facade). But am I bothered that speculative investors from overseas are buying huge swaths of apartment buildings in the BX for more money than they can possibly make from current rents? Hells yea.

You want to see good development? its not happening in this neighborhood. But go to andrews place in university heights. Look at those buildings... that's some solid investment, at no cost to our government. But you haven't convinced me that our government has invested wisely in the stadium redevelopment project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 PM

173 posts, read 192,669 times
The area around you was anything but thriving. Are you kidding? You think because the area is heavily populated it is thriving? In that case every city in India is thriving! It is brimming with people...poor people with few amenities or services to support them..that is not thriving, that is disinvestment, segregation, and abandonment. And back to the usual gripes about the park...we have discussed this arleady..guess what...you gave up some parkland but are getting ALOT more of other lacking things that are far more important to the health of the community! Guess what....if you want to enjoy a large park with less poeple...you should probably not be living in NYC...but if that is not an option for you...you can also travel to the many parks that are available to you..like Pelham Bay Park, Van Courtland Park, Central Park...etc. And like almost every other New Yorker..we travel for parks too. Get over it! It is unfortunate that all you can see is a new stadium going up and a loss of some parkland. This indicates to me that you will only see the negative in all things surrounding you, because the fact remains...and which I have spoken to over and over again but you choose to ignore...IS THAT THERE IS MORE THAN JUST A STADIUM GOING UP. YOU ARE GETTING A BRAND NEW RETAIL CENTER THAT WILL BE TAILORED TO THE COMMUNITY INCLUDING A MARSHALLS, TARGET, TOYS R US, AND RESTUARANTS LIKE APPLEBEES. YOU ARE ALSO GETTING A BRAND NEW METRO-NORTH STATION TO ALLEVIATE THE CONGESTION AND ALLOW YOU BETTER ACCESS TO DIFFERENT POINTS IN THE CITY. YOU WILL NOW ALSO HAVE THE WATERFRONT ACCESSIBLE TO YOU WITH A BRAND NEW PARK/ESPLANADE THAT WILL RUN FROM 149ST THROUGH 161ST, AND THERE WILL BE ADDITIONAL WATERFRONT SEGMENTS COMING ONLINE. YOU ARE ALSO GETTING BRAND NEW INFRASTRUCTURE, INCLUDING SIDEWALKS, STREETS, LANDSCAPING, PLAZAS, TREES, ETC. But hey..its just a stadium versus losing some parkland to you. I am not trying to convince you of anything as you will keep your blinders on no matter what anyone says.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:10 PM

169 posts, read 419,046 times
Quote:
This indicates to me that you will only see the negative in all things surrounding you, because the fact remains...and which I have spoken to over and over again but you choose to ignore...IS THAT THERE IS MORE THAN JUST A STADIUM GOING UP. YOU ARE GETTING A BRAND NEW RETAIL CENTER THAT WILL BE TAILORED TO THE COMMUNITY INCLUDING A MARSHALLS, TARGET, TOYS R US, AND RESTUARANTS LIKE APPLEBEES. YOU ARE ALSO GETTING A BRAND NEW METRO-NORTH STATION TO ALLEVIATE THE CONGESTION AND ALLOW YOU BETTER ACCESS TO DIFFERENT POINTS IN THE CITY. YOU WILL NOW ALSO HAVE THE WATERFRONT ACCESSIBLE TO YOU WITH A BRAND NEW PARK/ESPLANADE THAT WILL RUN FROM 149ST THROUGH 161ST, AND THERE WILL BE ADDITIONAL WATERFRONT SEGMENTS COMING ONLINE. YOU ARE ALSO GETTING BRAND NEW INFRASTRUCTURE, INCLUDING SIDEWALKS, STREETS, LANDSCAPING, PLAZAS, TREES, ETC. But hey..its just a stadium versus losing some parkland to you. I am not trying to convince you of anything as you will keep your blinders on no matter what anyone says.
You are a big contradiction. One one hand, you say "no biggie, hop on the train and you can enjoy tons of parks." On the other hand, you say the community is not well serviced (which is a half truth) yet a target, marshalls, applebees exist only ten minutes further by train than the mall will provide. All of that stuff exists in kingsbridge right now. And again, if all that stuff is available in one location, whats to say people wont buy all their goods there, in one stop, as opposed to contributing to the multitude of local business that provide most of that stuff to begin with? hmmm.... But I'm not complaining about the new station, the trees (which are unrelated to this project, and oh yea, houndreds of them were cut down in the park). I'm saying that 1 billion for the stadium was a terrible investment. Who are you? you don't even live in this neighborhood, and you haven't addressed the fact that people here think its bs, and so did the community board. Are we just all wrong, and for some reason you are right? My neighborhood is poor, like you said. But we are thriving, not starving or without electricity and water like the cities you mentioned in 3rd world countries. You speak of integration, which is great, but that can only happen if people here are forced out. That sounds like something thats a step below segregation, which will really not end segregation, because the people who will be forced to move are the ones that have the fewest options. But no worry; with loss of parkland, throngs of police that give the feel of a police state, and overcrowded schools, and the elevated subway line will serve to moderate housing prices so that probably wont happen anytime soon. I'm not the one with the blinders, unless you are referring to me, my community board, and the majority of people in my neighborhood.

and perhaps the new park will increase the property values around it, but oh yea... there aren't properties around it!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 869 times
What ever happened to the westchester square area? where the fire was and burned down my favorite restaurant ( National coffee shop) That place was amazing and the workers were unreal how brilliantly they worked....

Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous500009 View Post
What ever happened to the westchester square area? where the fire was and burned down my favorite restaurant ( National coffee shop) That place was amazing and the workers were unreal how brilliantly they worked....
Westchesters square area looks like a dump now, parks department fenced up the park for whatever reason. Police patrol the park telling lehman students to please go home or face arrest. Slowly things in the Bronx may reverse but I dont know how long things will switch from south bronx being good, cool, hot and safe, and north and east bronx decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City