Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:14 AM

78 posts, read 316,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
By the way, I just posted a bunch of photos (on another thread) of the types of white guys and gals that hang out regularly in Mott Haven. Care to tell me which ones are the drug dealers and which are the social workers...
How do we know where they live? You could photo some kids in the east village or les.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 AM

78 posts, read 316,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I've got to comment here ecraw.

We've passed the stage of presidential campaigning and a president has been democratically elected. Leading up to the elections and fresh in the aftermath of the results there has been much anxiety, hype, and unfair characterizations coming from both sides. And especially since America will now have its first non-white/African-America/Biracial President, the inevitable racial innuendos against geographical areas, regions, even individuals have had their play. Now, I daresay it's time to move on.

The president-elect will be the president for all of America and as such one need not challenge the neutrality of a teacher who wishes to secure a book about an incoming president of our great country. The issue of partisanship has long passed its due date and we are now in another arena.

We've moved from campaigning to soon-to-be inauguration and to moving forward together to address and solve the pressing issues affecting us all - the economy, our jobs, relations with other countries, the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. The latter especially have both exacted a heavy toll on our national pyche, our faith in our government, and in human costs in lives forever lost, maimed, and in emotional, physical, psychological scars that for some will never go away.

Let us move forward and learn as much as we can about all our elected officials - and especially our presidents. Reading about them can only make us better educated citizens as we exercise our rights to express ourselves in all legal ways to help our country to be the beacon of hope that it has been for so many generations.

Yes, ecraw, Rachel is in good standing to teach her young students about an American president and to have them learn by reading and as they grow older they will have the tools to make their own judgments.

To recognize Mr. Obama as our president does not mean that we ought to give him a free ride, that we must remain muted and voiceless as decisions are made and policies are being addressed. It does not mean that we cannot or should not critique his presidency. The greatest respect one can give our incoming president is to treat him as we Americans have always treated our presidents in the past - we respect the high office of the presidency, we honor its occupant, but we speak out loudly when we feel that errors in judgment, policies, and decisions will have an adverse consequence for us.

So ecraw, let's move past the need to chastise a teacher for recommending a book about a president-elect to our high office. In fact, why not PM the teacher, befriend her, and perhaps ask her to secure a copy for you too? And happy reading!
You call that chastising? I was asking her if she had to get an ok from the board? She still didn't answer my question regarding the racial makeup of her school. And yes, there are still (although precious few) areas of brooklyn where that simply wouldn't fly. I'd be willing to bet she doesn't teach in howard beach.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times

Old 11-12-2008, 11:26 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Agreed NYer...that one is clearly one of them.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Hmm...Sha83...you know not what you speak...throwing around racist and WRONG information based on your prejudiced views does not make them right. Facts do not corroborate your perception, but someone of your view need no facts..they just get in the way of your biggotry. Regarding the assertion that there were "gunshots all night" is HOGWASH and the usual lies. I live in Mott Haven..and there was NO SUCH THING OCCURING. What was occuring? People celebrating and enjoying the change that has overcome our country. Furthermore, are we going to continue to indict an entire race of people based on the actions of a very small few? How long will that mentality continue..it is nonsense and the breeding ground for hate....let it go. If you are desperate for something/someone to hate..I am sure you have plenty of family for that.
Well, I never said I lived in Mott Haven, I live in the MORRISANIA area. Secondly, the racist accusation really detracts from your argument. How is it racist? How do you know what I saw or heard? I have friends in those projects on Webster Avenue & Third Avenue who reported the same thing I did. You make me laugh. Please stop trying to discredit people by playing the race card because it really is a tired excuse and quite juvenile.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I wish some of the parents in the area I teach in would do that. A lot of my kids tell me that their parents don't have jobs and do nothing all day, yet they collect money from us taxpayers. Maybe there will be less people like that.
Don't plan on it. The plan is to tax the rich more and to give "tax credits" even to those who contribute nothing in income taxes (i.e., are on welfare or don't work).

Old 11-12-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Just for my own info and guidance, is this kind of personal rhetoric against a fellow poster acceptable? I must admit ignorance on this, and need to know so I can adapt my own posts if need be. Thanks, admin.
Gotta love overreactive bigots. And WHO is racist? Who is ignorant?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is interesting that you find my post REBUKING hate speech as "personal rhetoric against a fellow poster", but stay quiet when posters are filling the forum with hate speech and ignorance. Your personal agenda has been noted. I shall continue to rebuke such offensive hate speech and stereotypes everyway I can.
Wel, since there is not hate speech but you're own, you'll be talking to the wall.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
OP here!
Lets just live in the moment in this thread.
Be happy that people are so happy about the election that they are driven to dance in the streets.
Never in the history of America has there been a reaction such as there was on Tuesday night.
No, my problem is not with celebration or even dancing in the streets. My issue is with peopel partying, shooting guns, blasting radios, and screaming until 3 AM on a weeknight when others have to go to work. No, it is not anybody's God-given right to make so much noise all night that people cannot sleep to get up for work the following morning and that is exactly what happened. The irony is that while this behavior that occurred Tuesday night is being alibied and excused, the querstion still remains: what kind of jobs do people have where they can party all night, drink, smoke weed, and shoot off guns and still manage to get up?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:33 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
No, my problem is not with celebration or even dancing in the streets. My issue is with peopel partying, shooting guns, blasting radios, and screaming until 3 AM on a weeknight when others have to go to work. No, it is not anybody's God-given right to make so much noise all night that people cannot sleep to get up for work the following morning and that is exactly what happened. The irony is that while this behavior that occurred Tuesday night is being alibied and excused, the querstion still remains: what kind of jobs do people have where they can party all night, drink, smoke weed, and shoot off guns and still manage to get up?
First of all you are generalizing that everyone out there was smoking weed and shooting guns. that was a few bad apples.
a majority of the people are law abiding citizens who work everyday jobs that make the city go round. In addition there were wealthy NY's with Doctor and Lawyer jobs as well.
Whats most amazing is that even though people had to get up to work the next day( which I did for my Optician job) they felt the need to go out and celebrate with their neighbors and strangers. Then they got up the next day bright and early with a giant smile on their face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City