Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 12:15 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1in View Post
I do enjoy both cities but I always choose New York. It has so much more to offer. L.A. is nice for a weekend. To Me L.A. seems to much like a very party oriented vacation spot then a full on city,I mean how can people live their focused with the whole party atmnesphere. plus the people in L.A. are much more plastic and superficial as a whole. In New York you will once in a while find those people but overall new york is a real city built with real people not a fake hollywood playland. This is just my opinion. What do you think?
Both cities have their pro's and cons's. LA and New York City actually have a lot of similarities. Both are large cities with plenty of options for nightlife, shopping, entertainment, ect. Some have more specific choices, like NYC has theatre, LA has Hollywood. Too close though to make that much of a difference unless you are a buff with a particular interest. I would have to give housing to LA. A little cheaper and homes are worth their asking price most of the time. LA is a city of private homes. Schools, both suck. NY gets a plus for a decent rail rapid transit system in terms of area coverage. As for density, people here act like in L.A. homes are miles apart. Houses are as close as you would find in parts of Queens.

I think the primary questions the average person should ask themself are:

-Weather... Hot humid summers, mild falls/springs and a cold winter. A change of seasons. Or mild tempertures all year.

-Depend on public transportation (pros, save money), or depend on car (pro's, less bull****, not at the mercy of the transit system).

Old 08-17-2007, 12:25 AM

186 posts, read 1,118,797 times
Doesn't anyone worry about an earthquake wiping everything out in Los Angeles since the pressure's been building up in the San Andreas fault for QUITE A WHILE NOW, so the next earthquakes gonna be BAAAAAD

Old 08-17-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
Doesn't anyone worry about an earthquake wiping everything out in Los Angeles since the pressure's been building up in the San Andreas fault for QUITE A WHILE NOW, so the next earthquakes gonna be BAAAAAD
That's true, Peru had a major earthquake today. Many dead. It can happen just like that. However, the next Hurricane that hits NYC is also going to cause major devastation. So in the end you can't win. You just deal with it.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:39 AM

157 posts, read 675,450 times
I worried more about a terrorist attack on the packed local 1 train, than an earthquake in LA.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockx View Post
I worried more about a terrorist attack on the packed local 1 train, than an earthquake in LA.
Don't worry, random bag checks will protect us all...

Old 08-17-2007, 01:32 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
This debate is becoming alarmingly well-researched, with great maps in the last post.

Haven't you all got better things to do?
Which is why I'm the stupid one here. I'm stupid because I don't know California is the 7th largest economy in the world. Let me be the one to tell you, the average American DOES NOT KNOW THAT. I don't sit on the computer all day looking up economy stats. I go to school! Economics isn't until my Senior year.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:34 AM

Most people would neither want to live in NYC or LA. Many people would love to visit both though.

How can I back this statment. Look at all the long time New Yorkers fleeing the city. Who's replaceing them? Immigrants. I guess the same can be said for L.A.

Housing is important. Who the hell wants to raise a family in a cramped apartment? ****ty schools in both cities. Loud, stressful lifestyle. These cities are rip offs. I can see how they appeal to a young single with a decent income, but to everyone else they just don't.

Nice places to visit, but most people would NOT want to live in them.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:36 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Which is why I'm the stupid one here. I'm stupid because I don't know California is the 7th largest economy in the world. Let me be the one to tell you, the average American DOES NOT KNOW THAT. I don't sit on the computer all day looking up economy stats. I go to school! Economics isn't until my Senior year.
Hey I learned that too, last year as a freshman. Are you gonna be a sophomore this year.

And for those who said don't compare LA County to Manhattan, well according to Wikipedia, Manhattan IS New York County. Manhattan has 1.5 million people. LA County has 10.2 million people.

Also, according to Wikipedia, NYC has 22,000,000 in its metro. LA has 18,000,000 in its metro. And, LA was discovered 155 years after NYC had been discovered. And, LA has no more room to grow. Does that kind of tell you that many people want to live here. That is another reason our population is not as high-we can't fit as many people as NYC b/c the NYC metro area can extend very far into NY state, NJ, and CT while LA cannot do that b/c of our mountains.

And about the education thing-

WP Students scored this on the SAT:
Reading 570-680
Math 590-680
ACT 26-29

73% graduated in top 10th
93% top quarter
99% top half

They only offer a Bachelor's

UCLA
Reading 570-690
Math 610-720
Writing 590-700
ACT 24-30

91% had GPA of 3.75+

97% top 10th
100% top quarter
100% top half

offer Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral, and 1st Professional degrees

Last edited by jessemh431; 08-17-2007 at 02:00 AM..

Old 08-17-2007, 01:45 AM

29 posts, read 151,819 times
Quote:
Yes, I prefer our new apartment to our large home in Brentwood ANYDAY.

NYC will always be a much more desirable place to live than L.A. End of story.
Yes to you, I've been to NYC countless times and I prefer living in Southern California any day. That's my personal preference. I'm sorry if that offends you. NYC has posher suburbs that LA ? Based on what, because you said so? LA has Bel Air, Beverly Hills, San Marino, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa, Rancho Palos Verdes, Palos Verdes Estates down in OC there's Newport Beach, Newport Coast, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, Anaheim Hills etc etc. There's millionaires and billionaires who live on both coasts, your not proving anything with your 100 million dollar homes statement.lol. I seriously doubt every suburb in the Hamptons is "posher" than the suburbs here. I've seen the Hamptons, there are some extremely nice homes and some not so nice homes.

And I seriously doubt everybody living here would rather live in NYC. Look NYC is a wonderful city,and theirs millions of people who would love to live there, but it's not for everybody, I'm sorry if that comes as a surprise to you. end of story.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 AM

29 posts, read 151,819 times
Quote:
And for those who said don't compare LA County to Manhattan, well according to Wikipedia, Manhattan IS New York County. Manhattan has 1.5 million people. LA County has 10.2 million people.
Yea it's kinda confusing. The geographic setup is different from Southern California. LA is a city within LA County. Manhattan is a borough within New York City but it's also its own county. So New York County which is synonymous with Manhattan is smaller than New York City. I think I got that right. Is that how it works New Yorkers ? But if your comparing population density, there's really no contest, New York is definitely more dense, you don't even need to look up stats, its fairly obvious if you've been to both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City