Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:05 PM

101 posts, read 562,749 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone i need some advice. I am on a rent program .It's called the advantage program for people living in shelters. I got my apartment and I thought everything was fine but I noticed shortly afterwards that there is constant music playing in my apartment..I tried to ignore it.

The music is constantly coming from my upstairs neighbor. This woman just does not care..I hear her music in my apartment everyday.I can hear every word ,beat bass EVERYTHING. I wrote the landlord several written complaints and never got a response..I called his management office and his cellphone directly. He would say oh Im sorry Im coming over Ill talk to her and he would never show up...I called him again and the same thing...I called him AGAIN after a long night of music blasting and I was very upset. He said umm well it's her apartment I cant really do anything but ill send the super over...The super never showed up...The next day I call again and he rushed me off the phone like im a nuisance and the super showed up at around 10:00 pm . She said she spoke to her and told her to be reasonable and try not to play it late at night..I was not satisfied with that answer!THAN to make it worse the super adds "Well hun this is Brooklyn , folks like to blast thier music..This is nothing In the summer it gets worse cause folks like to sit outside get high and blast thier music..You need to get used to it" I was dumbfounded! I was like OMG I HAVE to get used to this?

I did speak to the neighbor directly..It was around 1:00 pm and my son was getting therapy services (He's 18 months and has autism) and the therapist said she is tired of hearing the music everytime she comes for a visit and may shorten his services because she cant tolerate the noise! So I went upstairs knocked nicely and asked her to turn the music down (Her teenage daughter answered ) She argued with me saying she does'nt have to turn her music down..I went back downstairs ..We finished his session ..Later that night at around 6:00 pm I hear someone banging on me door..Its the neighbor.She gets right in my face yelling and screaming about how it's her apartment and she can play her music and she said if i knock on her door again Im going to be sorry. To prove a point she blasted her music all night ...I have two kids ..ages and 18 months..They have autism so they have sensory issues the constant music playing bothers them greatly and it breaks my heart to see them cover up thier ears and cry . As a parent I tried to appeal to her and tell her my kids are being bothered by the noise and she said it's not my fault your kids have a mental disability and laughed in my face. Im at my wits end!I called 311 and 911 MULTIPLE times and they treat me as if IM a nuisance! They dont even show up! I call 311 and 8 hours later I ask for an update and they have it down as the police stopped by and didnt hear any noise...The police never showed up!!!

Because of my rental program I only pay 50 dollars a month and the woman above me pays the full amount of rent which is around 1000 a month which is why I think the landlord is basically ignoring my complaints!I feel as though she has more rights than I do! His response was well she pays rent!Excuse me I do too!Yeah it may only be 50 bucks but at the end of the day you got your money for my apartment !

I dont know what to do ...I cant just move out..I dont have the money and I need my rental program.I stay home because my kids get therapy services for hours a day . My kids deserve to get this therapy and I need to make sure that they are getting the help that they need. I read in the sub lease that there was a clause saying no loud music playing and it's being ignored. I feel like I have no rights.The woman who lives above me is violatile and she has several people living with her. If I were to confront her I would get jumped. I live in Bushwick and people out here are wild and will not hesitate to seriously hurt you.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:38 PM

877 posts, read 2,767,898 times
Rough situation. It looks as if you have done everything that you can do. Maybe you can appeal to the people that run your program and explain the situation to them and how it is unbearable for you and your kids.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
Rough situation. It looks as if you have done everything that you can do. Maybe you can appeal to the people that run your program and explain the situation to them and how it is unbearable for you and your kids.
I second that idea. Maybe they can help you find another place. You don't have to stay in that apartment forever, right? It's not a good fit for you (or anybody) but especially for you because the noise and chaos aggravates your childrens' conditions.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:27 PM

39 posts, read 196,364 times
Maybe you should try to get help from the program your in. Seems like a bad situation. I can not stand it when neighbors blast there music. If it's late at night could you just call the police on them. I am not sure how it work in New York but where I live in Oregon you can get fines for having your music loud enough for others to hear it in other units.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:35 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedParrot View Post
Maybe you should try to get help from the program your in. Seems like a bad situation. I can not stand it when neighbors blast there music. If it's late at night could you just call the police on them. I am not sure how it work in New York but where I live in Oregon you can get fines for having your music loud enough for others to hear it in other units.
Ha. No such luck in NYC. Even if it's on the books, no such law is usually enforced.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 PM

It's a program ran by HRA...They are really strict . I want out of this apartment ASAP . Im listening to music blasting as I speak . I got a lil good news today. I got the mail and it said that my application to section 8 has been accepted. I should be getting a voucher soon. However with this program Im supposed to renew the lease with section 8 and stay here and I would HATE to do that . I hope that when I go to the section 8 office I can tell them that I would like to move because of the noise. Im so angry at the landlord...He is a slum lord. He doesnt care that I have to deal with this crap . When I first moved in there were rats running around and he said "calm down Ill be there in a WEEK to take care of it with some weather stripping" Fortunately I already bought the weather stripping AND patched holes that were all over the apartment. He makes me SICK...He feels like he doesnt have to do anything but sit on his arse and collect his rent payments.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Ha. No such luck in NYC. Even if it's on the books, no such law is usually enforced.

It is on the books ..It's not enforced and I wonder why. I looked all over the net and it says that nothing over 10 decibels should be in your apartment yet Im dealing with music and bass blasting constantly ..If I had the money I would move out and sue the landlord and that ghetto troll who lives above me.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:04 PM

39 posts, read 196,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Still, probably would not hurt to try. Does NYC have a a place to get free legal advice. Take them to small claims court if you can. The judge may not be able to make them turn down the music. But make them pay daily fines for nuisance. I don't know New York law but I always heard they had tough renter rights.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,985 times
Quote:
Still, probably would not hurt to try. Does NYC have a a place to get free legal advice. Take them to small claims court if you can. The judge may not be able to make them turn down the music. But make them pay daily fines for nuisance. I don't know New York law but I always heard they had tough renter rights.
One can persist and insist and go the full ten yards....but it's such a prevalent common problem here in the city with noises from above, below, outside, within, that most law enforcement look the other way..but I think the OP's situation calls for persistence to remedy the situation.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:40 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,756 times
Quote:
In the original post, the poster indicated that she was concerned about the neighbor physically harming her. Snitches get stitches and all that,right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: