Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,295 times

Advertisements

My friends and I just signed a lease for an apartment on west 176th st. Im not from NYC (this is probably obvious) but someone advised me that this section of harlem was safe. It may be too late now, but in general, do you suppose this area is relatively safe for walking at night etc. Obviosuly caution would be taken as it would be in any city at night, but in this particular place? Other posts have led me to believe I may have my face slashed with a razor if I go out after dark. Is this really so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 11:50 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoharlem View Post
My friends and I just signed a lease for an apartment on west 176th st. Im not from NYC (this is probably obvious) but someone advised me that this section of harlem was safe. It may be too late now, but in general, do you suppose this area is relatively safe for walking at night etc. Obviosuly caution would be taken as it would be in any city at night, but in this particular place? Other posts have led me to believe I may have my face slashed with a razor if I go out after dark. Is this really so?

Your doing things a bit backwards. You usually want to do your research before signing a lease.

Washington Heights is a separate neighborhood from Harlem. If people hear you calling it Harlem they will know your a noob, and lol, you don't want that. You wanna blend in, if possible.

176th and Amsterdam is the hood, ghetto, what have you. However, there are different degrees of ghetto. To answer your question, no it is not the type of place where you get your face slashed (well maybe if your a gang member) if your out late at night, but that being said try to keep your late night ventures to a minimum.

Most of the crime there is drug related. So if you are not a drug dealer it mostly doesn't affect you. However, the summer's tend to be very loud and a lot of quality of life issues arise.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Your doing things a bit backwards. You usually want to do your research before signing a lease.

Washington Heights is a separate neighborhood from Harlem. If people hear you saying its Harlem they will know your a noob. lol, you don't want that. You wanna blend in, if possible.

176th and Amsterdam is the hood, ghetto, what have you. However, there are different degrees of ghetto. To answer your question, no it is not the type of place where you get your face slashed (well maybe if your a gang member) if your out late at night, but that being said try to keep your late night ventures to a minimum.

Most of the crime there is drug related. So if you are not a drug dealer it mostly doesn't affect you. However, the summer's tend to be very loud and a lot of quality of life issues arise.
Agreed with this. Is not nearly one of the best areas of the Heights. Im not to fond of the mid 170's in the Heights. I think Fort Washington consolidated are located there. This houses low income people and the area is very gritty as you can tell by all the graffiti on those rehabbed buildings. You won't get your face slashed, but it's the hood. And there is drugs in the neighborhood. But as long as you mind your buissness, you'll be fine.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
This address isn't in Harlem, as other posters have stated: it's Washington Heights, and not where I'd live in Washington heights. Did you not visit the area before you signed?

Old 03-28-2009, 04:57 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,196 times
You should haven chosen Fort Washington Avenue, north of 181st Street. That's about the best part of Washington Heights. Always has been.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
You should haven chosen Fort Washington Avenue, north of 181st Street. That's about the best part of Washington Heights. Always has been.
It's not easy to get an apartment there. They don't often go on the market. People hold on to them or keep them in family because they are usually huge, Fort Wash is close to a lot of parkland, and it's quieter than the surrounding area.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post

Washington Heights is a separate neighborhood from Harlem. If people hear you calling it Harlem they will know your a noob, and lol, you don't want that. You wanna blend in, if possible.

I have to agree with everyone, I used to live there back in the day and during summer it can get loud, but you get used it...just keep your nose clean and to yourself, but hell it's NYC you gotta keep your nose clean.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,101 times
Cool the 33rd precinct

Dear all who live in the WHoooWhooo Heightsssss area...

This area is very controlled by a faction of folks that have many hands in strange activities. While the rent may be affordable, you get what you pay for. The 33rd precinct is not all that healthy and knows the drug dealers by first name and jokes with them on a regular basis.

I would stay close to the subway lines, west of Broadway and keep your eyes open.

I have been there, and seen that personally.

Good luck.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:15 PM

503 posts, read 898,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoharlem View Post
#1. Never ever call your area Harlem. Anyone who knows English in that environment (not all of them do) Will know you're a noob. It's the Washington Heights section and as everyone else has stated, it is not a great one.

#2. You should have done your research beforehand but that statement doesn't help you at all since you are already in the situation, I don't think you will be gravely miserable in your area, you should be fine if you heed the aforementioned advice.

#3. We are in Spring and the hot weather will kick in along with the Summer. Be prepared for loud music during weekend nights, people sitting on their stoop, folded chairs being stationed and sat on by various tenants in front of the building, loud groups of people walking towards restaurants and gathering on corners, thugs, drug dealers and of that sort.

#4. If you are not an idiot, and you keep your business to yourself and do not outright provoke anyone of these labeled civilians, you will be just fine. Many people in this area are friendly and mostly are flawed with just one thing: Noise. If you are going to try and shop weed or get involved in any illegal activities in this area you are going to face an issue sooner than later.

#5. The populace is mostly Hispanic, great deal of Dominican Republic transplants ( I doubt you knew this already, since your friends called this Harlem ) So expect a lot of loud and foreign music to your ears. Mostly by cars passing through if you're lucky. A lot of working people reside here, but a lot of passive parenting takes place here as well, leading to plentiful loitering. I used to live in the complex on 179th and St. Nicholas for many years, so I know this well.

Edit/In Addition: If you are walking midnight in this area you won't necessarily get slashed in the face; However it's a pretty happening place, closer to 181 on weekend nights and fights break out all the time. I was eating at 'Casa De Mofongo' quite a while back and one of the bouncers were stabbed right in front of the restaurant. This happened on St. Nicholas avenue though. I wouldn't be necessarily afraid to leave the 1 train after a night of partying in the city, but don't push your luck.

Last edited by itsideal; 04-28-2014 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Answer to Second Part of your Question

Old 04-28-2014, 12:28 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,914 times
lol @ signing a lease before even seeing the place/area and gambling whether its safe or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City