Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:38 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I dont see why anyone would want these stadiums to fail..and it is NOT TRUE that it costs a family "hundreds of dollars to see a game"...more disinformation. You can ALWAYS sit in the bleachers for $15 each, so a family of four can see the game for a grand total of $60. Whats the problem here? The problem is people want to pay whatever it is they deem fair and reasonable, and anything over that is "evil" and they are the "victim." It is a very American-victimization mentality and when you actually introduce the REALITY of $60 for a family of four to see a game....the comments are clearly just silly. So if you don't WANT TO pay $95 bucks for a hamburger, DONT...the same way I don't WANT TO pay $200 for 4 pieces of sushi at Nobu. I don't call them evil or that I am somehow the "victim" because they charge that much...I just dont eat there. So again I ask..what is the problem here? Beer too much? DONT BUY IT! Drink before/after you go! Food too much? DONT EAT IT...eat before/after you go. We as a society are not entitled to seats behind home plate, 4 beers, 3 hot dogs, fries, sodas, and everything else for $30 bucks! You want it..pony up!

But where do you think you draw the line?? I am just curious. I went to a game Saturday. The stadium is in fact very beautiful, but I thought the prices were RIDICULUS. $12 for a beer?? $30 for 2 hotdogs, a water, and some chips.

I am not suggesting that everyone has a right to sit behind home plate and a family of four eat and drink for 20 bucks, but geez.

What would be too much? If they charge 20 a beer and $10 a hotdog? Would that be okay? The bleacher seats are an option of course, but this particular day was very cold and they placed the bleachers in an area that gets the most wind, it’s literally like a wind tunnel, quite miserable.

Is there not some responsibility to keep the prices such that the majority of people can at least go and have lunch and watch the game without taking out a loan?

We did not sit in the bleachers, and our section was only about 50 percent full.

The analogy to the resturaunt is a bad one I think, its not the same thing.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
BMW this is nothing unique to the new yankee stadium...if it had received 0 tax breaks, you think everyone would be saying YES to the $95 for 2 hamburgers? You think they would not be complaining about the "hundreds of dollars to see a game" (which of course is wrong). They would still have these exact same complaints...thats what a society built on entitlements does..complain and whine..when the reality is that the games are still quite affordable AND the stadium is FAR BETTER..so what's the problem here?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:44 PM

check out this article Yankees want taxpayers to chip in for new stadium

this is why the Nobu analogy does not really work, Nobu is 100 percent privately funded correct?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
BMW this is nothing unique to the new yankee stadium...if it had received 0 tax breaks, you think everyone would be saying YES to the $95 for 2 hamburgers? You think they would not be complaining about the "hundreds of dollars to see a game" (which of course is wrong). They would still have these exact same complaints...thats what a society built on entitlements does..complain and whine..when the reality is that the games are still quite affordable AND the stadium is FAR BETTER..so what's the problem here?
I disagree, the regular game experience is NOT "quite affordable" and just b/c other teams are milking the tax payers then making the game unaffordable for them, does not mean NY should join the band wagon

Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
[quote=Rudbeckia;8211361]But where do you think you draw the line?? I am just curious. I went to a game Saturday. The stadium is in fact very beautiful, but I thought the prices were RIDICULUS. $12 for a beer?? $30 for 2 hotdogs, a water, and some chips.

Just curious, I was reading the Daily News over the weekend and they broke down a cost comparison between Yankee Stadium and Citi Field. Beers were listed at $6 each, hot dogs at Citi Field were listed at $4.75 and $3.00 at Yankee stadium. Was that a misprint in the paper? I'm going to a game at Citi Field on the 15th and I'm just curious what the actual costs are. There is no way I'll be knocking back beers all game if they are $12 each, that's insane!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:10 PM

[quote=Coolhand68;8211774]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
But where do you think you draw the line?? I am just curious. I went to a game Saturday. The stadium is in fact very beautiful, but I thought the prices were RIDICULUS. $12 for a beer?? $30 for 2 hotdogs, a water, and some chips.

Just curious, I was reading the Daily News over the weekend and they broke down a cost comparison between Yankee Stadium and Citi Field. Beers were listed at $6 each, hot dogs at Citi Field were listed at $4.75 and $3.00 at Yankee stadium. Was that a misprint in the paper? I'm going to a game at Citi Field on the 15th and I'm just curious what the actual costs are. There is no way I'll be knocking back beers all game if they are $12 each, that's insane!

$3 for a hotdog and $6 for a beer is a misprint, at least thats not what the cost in the section of yankee stadium i was in, maybe
I should have explored further

Last edited by Rudbeckia; 04-06-2009 at 01:21 PM..

Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 PM

[quote=Coolhand68;8211774]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post

Here is an article that might help you, its comparing the two.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/dining/03food.html

Old 04-06-2009, 01:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
If the enterprise had no tax breaks and a sweetheart land deal, then charging whatever they wanted would be akin to a private restaurant that sets high prices for its wares as said restaurant is footing the bill. Gouging the public while being a corporate welfare recipient is not the same argument as a private restaurant. People would still gripe at high prices, no doubt, if there had not been public funds committed to the project, but at least the higher prices could be argued to be footing the bill for the stadium in that respect, an argument that holds no water because of the massive amounts of public money and land poured into this deal.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Okay here are my comments...ALL companies in the US are corporate welfare recipients..so let's just set the record straight here. Secondly, we all draw the line where we can afford. I don't live in Soho and pay $3,000 for a studio apt because I drew the line at $1,200...no complaints here nor do I expect the city or anyone else to subsidize my desire to live where I want at the price I deem fair and reasonable, same goes with restaurants, cars, hotels, clothing, and everything else in life. You live where you can afford, you eat where you can afford, you go to school where you can afford..see a trend here? I think the beer prices BEFORE the new Yankee stadium opened were too much! So guess what I did? I drank somewhere else..case closed...I drew the line long before. It is all a function of the market, and if they cannot sell beers for $15 a pop, then they will lower the price..and if for some reason people want to pay $25 bucks for a beer..guess what will happen? The price will go to $25. Since all companies receive corporate welfare (google it and see how deep that rabbit hole is), they are doing the same as every other company..gauging for as much as the market will bear. And only time will tell whether prices will stay the same, go up, or come down.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:48 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,242 times
we can debate this until the cows come home and my main point is that there are still ways to enjoy the game if you like baseball as much as I do. You can sit in the cheapest seats, get your hot dog from the cart on 161st street, which is two bucks, bring in your food, support the businesses in the neighborhood which need your dollars more than the Yankees ever will. Of course you might get hungry or thirsty during a long game, so you can bring in your stuff or make a one-time purchase of something. Yes,the way the stadiums were built was not appropriate, but that's been going on for years in good economies and bad economies.

If you're willing to find ways to eat cheaper and willing to walk around the surrounding area, then you'll be fine. But as long as there are people willing to pay for the overpriced drink, the teams can charge that. I for one will not let that deprive myself of enjoying the game and neither should you if you like baseball since the game itself is bigger than the nonsense that has gone on over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City