Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:05 PM

73,145 posts, read 62,828,648 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say NYers are any less or anymore tougher than other people. My experience with people from NYC is that many of them have a "just do it" mentality and tend to be more "to the point".

Old 04-19-2009, 04:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,272,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
sorry but this happens in most big cities in america. Street smats is street smarts. Anybody from any city can have it. When I was living in chicago I saw some crazy stuff that nobody would want to see but that doesn't make me different or more "tougher" than anyone else from any other city just because it was in chicago.

-mas23-
Yep, some dude tried to break in our house at like 4 in the morning but the alarm scared him off. It taught us to turn the alarm on more.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:17 PM

475 posts, read 686,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
What I am try to say is that, growing up in NYC you learn certain things. They call it street smarts. You aren't afraid at the time, because you just react. Instinct takes over. You learn many things as a young child and you just expand on them as you get older.
- you learn certain things
- you aren't afraid all the time
- instinct is...instinct
- you learn as a child and increase the depth of your knowledge over time

Ditto for growing up in all major cities, if not all cities.

Lack of fear in-and-of itself doesn't prevent anything from happening to you. There are a lot of deceased NYers who died in neighborhoods around the country while being fearless.

"Tough" people, for whatever that's worth in adulthood, generally don't sit around editorializing about how tough they are. Those are the people you need to be least concerned with.

It's almost akin to someone touting all the fabulous things there are to do in a 24/7 urban paradise, but seemingly never being off the internet long enough to do them.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:57 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,685,508 times
Default Yes, it probably is in any big city

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
sorry but this happens in most big cities in america. Street smats is street smarts. Anybody from any city can have it. When I was living in chicago I saw some crazy stuff that nobody would want to see but that doesn't make me different or more "tougher" than anyone else from any other city just because it was in chicago.

-mas23-
although NYC is distinct in some respects. Apart from 9/11, there were the major blackouts that I lived through in the 60s and 70s, especially the first one when it had never happened before. I was only a kid at the time, but I have the memories of what my Dad, and my Uncle working in a very tall building, experienced. Not all cities experienced these.

I was also very sickly as a child. I later learned that the federal government experimented on us back in the 50s. Yes, specifically NYC. They spread around viruses in the subways, and with exhaust from taxis, to see what the reactions to these germs would be.

Did you know this?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:00 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,329,050 times
Quote:
although NYC is distinct in some respects. Apart from 9/11, there were the major blackouts that I lived through in the 60s and 70s, especially the first one when it had never happened before. I was only a kid at the time, but I have the memories of what my Dad, and my Uncle working in a very tall building, experienced. Not all cities experienced these.
ok i must say that is something most cities do not expirience but as far as street smarts, you can get that from living in any city

-mas23-

Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,329,050 times
Quote:

I was also very sickly as a child. I later learned that the federal government experimented on us back in the 50s. Yes, specifically NYC. They spread around viruses in the subways, and with exhaust from taxis, to see what the reactions to these germs would be.

Did you know this?
I wasn't even born
but for real, that seems kinda nasty and sad.

Last edited by mas23; 04-19-2009 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 05:20 PM

811 posts, read 2,166,838 times
hey let's not forget all the poor 3rd world immigrants in nyc that make it tough
nyc is losing toughtness because of the decreasing crime rate.

people from detroit must be really tough.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:20 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,972,479 times
I must admit, at some point you have to admire NYC's sheer, blind faith in who they are (or who they think they are supposed to be).
With that said, I remember swaths of kids from the BX & Harlem moving into my neighborhood in Jersey when I was younger. Most were cool, but there would be a large percentage who truly believed their previous NYC address made them untouchable. Walking & talking like they owned the block, trying to establish a dominate presence & they only been in the neighborhood a month.
Needless tho say, these types went home with no sneakers & no lunch money in their pockets. We called it the "sock hop". Hilarious........
My point being, yes, a dense, diverse environment like NYC (or anywhere of the like) will most certainly teach you to be adept & thicken your skin. But it also creates many facsimiles & people who try & present a particular facade. It becomes clear however, the impostors from the fakes quite quickly. I've met scores of NYC natives who are nothing more than a thin veneer of a personality, and it's usually the ones who boast & try to showout.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:37 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,822,737 times
When I was in the military humping 60 pound packs on twenty mile road marches through 115 degree heat (Mohave desert), it was the NYC'ers that were crying like school girls....I found the tough talkers were all talk till they got knocked out with one punch..ONE PUNCH WONDERS is how we refered to the psuedo bad a.. talking New Yorkers..'
"New York is a bunch of tough guys" that's a myth at best.LOL

Old 04-19-2009, 05:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,685,508 times
Just thought of another example. I can remember as a child back in NYC during the Cuban Missle Crisis, when we had bomb drills. We had to crawl under our desks and put our arms over our heads. Like that would do any good against an atomic bomb? We were told that the missles were pointed straight at NYC. If that could have been accomplished, I am sure we would have been the target over any other city excepting maybe DC, especially in light of 9/11.

Any idea how atomic bomb drills makes a young child feel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: