Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:06 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times

Advertisements

I just read this in About.com says asthma rates high in Astoria due to the Con Ed plant. There are also stories about Con Ed toxic waste facility.

Is this true?

What are the prevailing winds- certainly all of Astoria can't be impacted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 06:09 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,462 times
I wouldn't count on it being true, and if it is true the asthma probably takes a long time to enter ones systems from years and years of exposure to whatever the waste Con Ed lets out, kind of like the correlation between mesopheleoma and asbestos exposure.
Not only is Astoria/Ditmars close to the Con Ed plant but its also close to La Guardia Airport which may add to the affect. Again I'm being very skeptical, its all just a theory.
It's funny you mentioned this, I heard a few weeks ago on the local news (Fox 5 NY) about researchers at Sloan-Kettering that are trying to prove that people living in New York are more prone to cancer than suburban or rural residents. The researchers claim that apparently the pollutants in the air contribute to development of cancer.
Another funny thing....I watch Fox 5 mostly everynight at 10 and haven't seen another story in this topic. I guess its just another health scare released by the media. Who knows...

Old 07-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Actually since i posted this I found the EPA site and some other articles on NYC Air Pollution.

NYC isn't the worst in the US but its pretty bad.

Three of the top 4 polluters are in Astoria.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:04 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,186 times
Still Astoria and NYC in general isn't as bad as the air in Los Angeles and other parts of California.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:55 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
I've read several articles that say Astoria has the worst air quality in the US, but I just simply can't believe this. If that's what bad air is like... then there's really no difference at all between that and good air!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:38 AM

analytical -Here's something you don't understand but would HOPE you think about. Smog - smelly crap in the air is bad but that's not necessarily what does all the harm. For example certain plutonium the size of a pinhead could kill thousands.

Many of the chemicals put out by plants are toxic in small amounts,and can not be detected by the human or even dog nose. The smelliest stuff may not even be harmful -stand next to a cow sometime, you may think that's the number one most polluted place. Its the chemicals mixed in all the soot etc that are doing the damage.

Having said that I agree its hard to believe Astoria is the worst in the US, but if its bad and people are suffering who cares if its the worst.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-04-2009 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: The reference to gangs and killings is off topic. Seriously.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:46 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
analytical -Here's something you don't understand but would HOPE you think about. Smog - smelly crap in the air is bad but that's not necessarily what does all the harm. For example certain plutonium the size of a pinhead could kill thousands.

Many of the chemicals put out by plants are toxic in small amounts,and can not be detected by the human or even dog nose. The smelliest stuff may not even be harmful -stand next to a cow sometime, you may think that's the number one most polluted place. Its the chemicals mixed in all the soot etc that are doing the damage.

Having said that I agree its hard to believe Astoria is the worst in the US, but if its bad and people are suffering who cares if its the worst.
Your last point is ultimately true in any situation, and I wish more people would think about that. I guess I expected a more noticeable effect, because I've spent most of my life in Astoria, and near that plant as well, and people don't seem to have anymore health problems than anyone else in the city. But you've certainly made a valid point.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-04-2009 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 AM

I did read there are more respiratory diseases in Astoria-- the reason I'm concerned is because in many ways I think Astoria would be an ideal part of NYC to live in.

Maybe the old con ed plant will eventually close- but there are 3 big point sources for polltion in Astoria.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:50 AM

346 posts, read 1,256,777 times
The Con Ed plant will not close. The city needs those transformers. I'm sure that someone will develop it someday, just like how people chose to live in toxic Williamsburg.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:00 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
L.A. is much worse than Astoria. The air is very "thick" over there. I can tell the difference, but I had Asthma when I was younger so I might be a bit more aware of this type of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City