Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,886 times

Advertisements

How can I prepare for the MTA May 2017 train operator exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,805 times
TWU is offering a prep course starting tomorrow Th, April 27 thru June 22. If you qualify go for it, it can't hurt. Otherwise, work on your reading comprehension, basic math, military time, spacial orientation and the multiple choice test taking techniques.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,649 times
Hey MotorMan MIke.....I have a train operator test coming up real soon and I want to know what to expect on the test. I know its multiple choice, and have know important destinations. If you can help me out with any info I might need, I will appreciate it. Hopefully I will be called Motorman Ray.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:37 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfrombk View Post
Hey MotorMan MIke.....I have a train operator test coming up real soon and I want to know what to expect on the test. I know its multiple choice, and have know important destinations. If you can help me out with any info I might need, I will appreciate it. Hopefully I will be called Motorman Ray.
The recent MTA Train Operator exam is all common sense, reading comprehensive, and basic math. There's nothing you need to prepare for yourself.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 6,687 times
I just took my exam yesterday. reading through this thread im seeing that there wasn't a list established for the 2009 test til 3 years later? is this for real? that is insane. will it be the same or is that just something that went down at that time? it has been 8 years since then so im hoping its different.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabral136 View Post
I just took my exam yesterday. reading through this thread im seeing that there wasn't a list established for the 2009 test til 3 years later? is this for real? that is insane. will it be the same or is that just something that went down at that time? it has been 8 years since then so im hoping its different.
Base on what I observe from forum posts, I think MTA only hire candidates that are on the top of the list, and not just one list, it seems like they are picking it off on multiple list.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Base on what I observe from forum posts, I think MTA only hire candidates that are on the top of the list, and not just one list, it seems like they are picking it off on multiple list.
thanks but that doesn't answer my question, maybe I wasn't clear.

do they always take 3 years after the test to establish a list?

I feel confident that I did pretty well but I didn't know it could take that long to establish a list and start calling from it.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:17 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times
Quote:

I feel confident that I did pretty well but I didn't know it could take that long to establish a list and start calling from it.
It'll be hard to get a time frame for when they'll hire people from the test you just took because they're doing things differently this time around and handling their exams in house instead of relying on DCAS. You guys can get get lucky since they're hiring off of a promotional exam now and then they'll possibly get to the test you took soon after, or they could extend the life of the last open competitive exam before they get to yours like they did for the last conductor exam.

Patience is the name of the game with these city jobs especially the MTA.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
It'll be hard to get a time frame for when they'll hire people from the test you just took because they're doing things differently this time around and handling their exams in house instead of relying on DCAS. You guys can get get lucky since they're hiring off of a promotional exam now and then they'll possibly get to the test you took soon after, or they could extend the life of the last open competitive exam before they get to yours like they did for the last conductor exam.

Patience is the name of the game with these city jobs especially the MTA.

ah ok I see. Thanks man.

I do notice the 2012 list is supposed to be expired as of last September so hopefully that bodes well for us.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:

The answer is no one really know how long it takes for a list to be establish because part of it depends on the Protest Review. The more people protest on the answer key, the longer it will take for the list to be establish. I wish there's is an absolute timeline I can tell you, but that's not the case here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City