Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,594 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've tried searching forums but couldn't find much info but i'm moving to Greenpoint next month and know that people constantly complain about the G Train. I've used the G Train a few times and the wait is usually 20 mins which isn't that bad for me. I'll be working downtown close to Broadway and Chambers so I wonder if would be better to take the G train down to the A/C at Hoyt-Schmerhorn (after 9 stops) connection and then take the A or C into downtown which would only be 2 trains. Another option which may be faster is the take the G up to the E which is 2 stops to the north and then take the E downtown. Honestly, I don't think it would be that bad at rush hour. Nightime on the other hand could be a drag though.

Any other suggestions, bad experiences, or other input?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 10:27 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
Take the G to Hoyt/Schermerhorn. You'll be dealing with a lot less crowding than if you had to take an 8th Avenue train through midtown. (And don't listen to the whiners and complainers; the G isn't a bad line at all. I know; I've worked it!)

Old 09-01-2009, 05:42 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Take the G to Hoyt/Schermerhorn. You'll be dealing with a lot less crowding than if you had to take an 8th Avenue train through midtown. (And don't listen to the whiners and complainers; the G isn't a bad line at all. I know; I've worked it!)
E train is very frequent at rush hour, but I agree that it is very crowded at that time.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
IMO based on my experiences, it's one of the least reliable lines in the system. I've had a couple of ridiculously long waits for the G train.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-01-2009 at 09:43 AM..

Old 09-01-2009, 06:07 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,621 times
I worked in Greenpoint of 6 years and never had a problem. (You'll always get a seat!)
If the train is not working you could always hop on the 63 bus and take it to Broadway and hop on the j/z train to chambers. I did this maybe 5 times in a 6 years spand.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 PM

214 posts, read 1,005,167 times
I never used to take the G train... but now it's become pretty useful since it was extended a bit deeper into Brooklyn. I can now get from Park Slope to Queens and back without going through Manhattan!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,594 times
Thanks everyone, I guess I will find out for myself next month. According to the MTA schedule, they run every 10 mins or so at rush hours. We shall see if they ever come on time.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Thanks everyone, I guess I will find out for myself next month. According to the MTA schedule, they run every 10 mins or so at rush hours. We shall see if they ever come on time.
Trust me; they're on time much more often than not. You have to remember that New York is the complaining capital of the United States--and there's very little around here generating more complaints than our transit system.

The one thing you do have to keep in mind about the G line is that it runs four-car trains (we can get into this more later if you like). Several of the stations on the line have entrances at the ends of the platforms--which means if you're on the stairs when a train is pulling into the station, you may have to do some running. Not all the conductors on the line are as good about waiting for passengers to reach the train as I was.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:17 PM

6 posts, read 14,550 times
I live off the G, too, and no, it's not as bad as people make it sound like. It runs much more often than 20 minutes, it only runs every 20 minutes after midnight (or is it 11 pm?). Usually I wait 5 minutes or less for a train, rarely more than 10. It's nice that they extended it to Church Ave, but still a bummer it doesn't run out as far into Queens as it used to. If it's not going to run into Manhattan it could at least run for more stops!

Like Fred314X said, the four-car bit kind of sucks because you definitely have to haul if you come in and the train is on the other side of the station.

I don't like to ride it super late at night, but normally it is fine. I just wish it had more transfer points to other trains, because sometimes you have to take three trains to get somewhere.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsdief View Post
It's nice that they extended it to Church Ave, but still a bummer it doesn't run out as far into Queens as it used to. If it's not going to run into Manhattan it could at least run for more stops!
I agree, I'd love the G so much more if I could just take it from 74th rather than having to go to 23rd/Ely... have to ultimately go in that direction either, but it's just easier taking one train. Also, I think part of the reason the G runs so frequently is because the line is so short! Compared to MOST of the other trains, it doesn't make even close to as many stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City