Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:55 AM

10 posts

Advertisements

Hi, this is susangggggg. I moved again, in 2015, this time to Florida and immediately found my husband. Actually I met him while visiting and looking for housing. We're going to an airbnb with his parents this weekend.

This was never my fault. The ADHD, Autism and CPTSD were undiagnosed and untreated for a long time and making it very hard for me to function adequately and develop healthy and realistic activities/career aspirations/relationships. Even my female relationships were toxic and abusive towards me. Looking back they were always far worse than my dating experiences overall.

I knew something was wrong with how scattered, scared and lost I was but instead I (in my 30s, understandably hyperfocused on romantic partnership, sex and family, energetically lashing out when I was really just angry about my childhood and needed therapy and vocational training.

Well, I was also angry about how difficult a place NYC is overall to live in... That no one earlier told me everywhere else is not like this. I was trapped, frustrated as hell and had failed at literally.everything I ever tried to do because I could never get what I needed and never knew how to ask for it, to procure it.

As a result people were treating me poorly and even discriminating against me left and right which I may have not recognized at the time. This fueled my obsessions and created a negative feedback loop where burnout, overwhelm, self-imposed isolation just spiralled downward into severe nutritional deficiencies and medical crisis lasting over a year.

I still to this day don't have an apology from anyone in my life from my childhood besides one, my primary abuser. No wonder I was angry.

So angry.

Within a month of moving here I had friends donate a bed, big thai basil plant, a dining room table& chairs, blanket, ride from the airport and an entire new wardrobe. Later, I received covid funds to pay back rent. I have been helped over and over and over here including by people who barely even know me, who just wanted to help.

Don't think for a minute that your environment is tangential or that where you belong is randomly assigned, or that there isn't such a thing as home.

There is.

I'm glad for my teens and early 20s to have lived in NYC as the 90s were an amazing time for bohemian arts and culture in the U.S. there, but the rest was a hellish mess. I never belonged there.

I'm from Florida originally.

Last edited by persephone0; Today at 02:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:59 AM

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
it has been roughly 7 months now since i moved and my dating life is 10x better than it ever was back in LA.

so for me, the NYC dating scene ain't that bad after all
To be clear as day, this ^^^ is a man. He's posted pics of scantily clad, random women in another thread.

He made our point for us.

Old Today, 07:20 AM

2,651 posts, read 1,248,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
so whats the dating scene like in NYC? easy/hard to meet ppl? for both men and women.
Lots of people so it's easy to "go on dates" but the quality of dates (i.e. they lead to something lasting and meaningful), not so great really.

As they say "the odds are good, but the goods are odd."

Old Today, 04:53 PM

15,881 posts, read 14,526,814 times
Anyone else notice this is a 15 YO thread? I think it wins the necro award for the year

Old Today, 07:52 PM

61 posts, read 10,997 times
It's real simple. If you're a woman, it's real easy. If you're an average or below average dude, it's rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City