Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 07:34 PM

130 posts, read 236,033 times

Advertisements

Yeah best of luck with that!!!

@blackcard I know what your saying everychild deserves to grow up in a safe and comfortable enviroment. I'm from the projects to and although much of my area changes for the better a lot of it has more improving to do. That pissing the elevator is the truth. I breathe easy knowing that I don't have to lay paper down before I step in my elevator anymore.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:41 PM

Oh and for the record there is nothing wrong with living in the "hood" (projects). I know a lot of people (myslef included) who grew up their and never ever had any major issues, besides **** in elevators lol.

That's for the readers who think me or blackcard are trying to run anyway from the community. In fact, when I get more established I'd love to give back.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 PM

270 posts, read 748,832 times
Well speaking of projects, we received a letter today from NYCHA for a special "out-reach" ( sort of like a lottery as well). We've been on their waiting list 5 years. They are offering us a 3 Bedroom at 142nd street. I grew up in projects as well, and I know what you mean. The trains we "need" are like 5-6 blocks away ( A,B,C,D) @ 145th street ,so not bad.
Again we would've liked to remain in lower manhattan, but its all good. We should do just fine up there and like I said before, this won't stop us from sending as many lotteries as possible. My ultimate goal would be to achieve an affordable apartment in the city similar to riverplace one day.
I was skeptical about moving to brownsville although they ARE new developments and in the end, if we passed the interview with them, we would've just taken it anyway. But since this has come up, although its projects, it may be more convenient as far as commute to and from work +school+babysitter. SO this year has been a busy interview year lol.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:47 AM

684 posts, read 1,820,543 times
Thats crazy that all of us grew up in the projects lmao !! I too remember the pissy evelvators all too well. smh. But I had a good strong loving family so I never got into any real trouble either

@ Emulator..are you talking about Drew Hamilton over on 8th?

Old 08-26-2010, 06:48 AM

@ emualtor I understand completely. There's a lot of things that go into looking for an apartment besides neighborhood: trains, schools, parks all that is taken into consideration. Brownsville really has come ago way but like most parts of broken needs more people like us to move back in ( after we enjoy the city) to help fix it up. A three bedroom isn't bad at all tho but I know ur holding out for the 42nd st development and I don't blame you. Nycha can be very expensive for a family of one so I can only imagine how much rent there try to suck out of you guys.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:00 AM

@jkid yes , the drew hamilton.. if you have any info for me on that area..please let me know now lol..i "STREET VIEWED" via google..looks ok to me..just another neighborhood.. you cant always go by what people say sometimes ( not that I have asked anyone yet about the area lol), but the usual responses are.."oh thats a bad area, oh dont move there" yet they have NEVER lived there lol

@johnjose actually I'm expecting from $700-$1000 max? , it cant really be more than that, this is NYCHA, not Riverplace LOL( the rents are very decent at RP2, I would've gotten a 2 Bedroom for $770! that woul've been nice), so the rent cant be too crazy. PLus Heat and Electric are included in the rent. I grew up in one of the worst area of projects of the LES, in Alphabet City, AVE D.. it has since gotten a bit better though.. and now I'm in a nicer building ( not nycha) , love this part of the LES. Going uptown will take a little bit of time to get used to, and living in the project should be easy to get used to since I already know how it is to live in projects. We pretty much keep to ourselves, depending on how the neighbors are of course. If they seem nice of course we are going to say HI and stuff hehe.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:47 AM

684 posts, read 1,820,543 times
I know the area pretty well...but not really drew hamilton. Like I have friends that live there but I personally never hung out there so I cant tell you exactly how they are. From my understanding its like most projects..has its gang activity..drugs etc. The area around it is like your regular hood..but its cool though. And you already being familiar will be fine. Its not bad at all. Plus on 145th you have pathmark (which my family shops at a lot because they always have great deals). 145th is a main street from riverbank..all the way to the bridge on Lenox..so its never deserted.

But yea its your regular hood..but nothing crazy. But again im speak from someone who has hung out over there a lot not lived there on an everyday basis

Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 AM

Thanks man, Gives me the general idea, I'm aware of the usual activities around projects. Where I used to live , it was pretty bad, but it sort of works itself out when the people from the neighborhood know you are from there they don't really bother you. You just go about your business and everything will be fine and dandy lol.
Like I said my ultimate goal would be apply for lotteries as usual. Getting this apartment would give us a chance to relax and do so without the pressure of being rushed out.
After a year we are going to file for a transfer to try to get an apartment downtown or at least from 26th street down to the seaport area would be great. However long it takes, it will be ok, because we will at least have our apartment where nobody is telling us we have to leave.

edit: yeah i street viewed the area and noticed the pathmark lol. The would be a great place to do our quick shopping, but we love to shop at wholefoods. At least wholefoods does deliveries though.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:25 PM

Whole foods is pretty good, For the prices they want they better do delivery lol.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:40 PM

They sometimes have good deals too, but ever since we went organic with most stuff, we cant go back..and their meats and puoltry and fish are extra fresh.. we definitely taste the quality. Also everything else is great too. We'd have to go to the nearest one which is like 92nd street I think for delivery, but its cool.
Right now we're just happy that SOMETHING finally came up in our time of need. I still cant stop imaging how we'd be if we would've made it into RP2. To think, we would've already been living there by now. But , I'm not stopping once I hopefully get into nycha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery