Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post

Don't get me wrong, NYC is a fine city, in my opinion a good city but not the best. But in other like Paris, Rome, Sydney, London, Dubai, Hong Kong and Mumbai, and lots more cities...most places are becoming like NYC now - 24/7, multicultural, etc.
While I'd say * MORE * cities are becoming like NYC, I'd hardly say "most". But I think a lot of it is in regards to other Americans, not the world and I don't think any other US city is like NYC. The only other one in the US that really "looks" like it is Chicago and maybe San Fran or Philly or to some extent Boston. L.A. is completely unique in its own way and is big enough I could see this kind of superiority complex coming out of there instead in future decades (or course, this economy really brought the "California dream" to it's knees, LOL!).

Old 03-27-2010, 04:48 PM

16 posts, read 20,872 times
Quote:
Not to troll, but I wish to ask rational people in the city the logic to this stupid, snobby and obnoxious mentality so many adopt.

Firstly, the premise that you're from a place and using this as argument that you're better than others is just plain arrogant.

Secondly, people saying NYC is not like *anywhere* else - seriously? Have you travelled the *whole* earth to be able to warrant yourself this statement? Again, stinks of stupidity and arrogance.

Don't get me wrong, NYC is a fine city, in my opinion a good city but not the best. But in other like Paris, Rome, Sydney, London, Dubai, Hong Kong and Mumbai, and lots more cities...most places are becoming like NYC now - 24/7, multicultural, etc. Yet in none of those other places you will see people making arrogant statements saying 'we're better than you'. I just want to know what's with the chip on the shoulder and portraying the bullying NY stereotype. Do they enjoy being bullies? Just because you're from XYZ place, doesn't make you 'better' than anyone.

Would these same NYers say they're 'better' than members of the military who aren't from NYC but are fighting and dying in Afghanistan?

Again, what explains the logic behind this obnoxious attitude that has become almost commonplace? City pride? Because people in other cities have city pride too, but are nowhere near as obnoxious about it. Why are so many (not all) NYers cocky and full of themselves?
Because we are better than you. New York still remains the center of energy, culture and prosperity/wealth. New York City is the Alpha city and it's about time you got used to it.

"If I'd lived in Roman times, I'd have lived in Rome. Where else? Today America is the Roman Empire and New York is Rome itself."

-- John Lennon

Old 03-27-2010, 04:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Why would you put a post like this on a New York City forum? It would be one thing to ask - "Everyone in New York City is so proud. Can you explain to me why you are so proud?" - as opposed to basically saying "All New Yorkers are arrogant, egotistal maniacs but your city is nothing special." I think most people are proud of the city that they live in. There just happens to be a whole lot of us living in this city as compared to other cities in the United States. And no other city is like New York. That isn't to say that other cities are amazing and great in their own way - but they are all different. Every city has it's own feel, it's own flavor. I love Montreal, London, Paris, Venice, Shanghai, Tokyo, Kyoto, Sao Paolo, Toronto, Boston, Chicago, Savannah, Los Angeles, Innsbrook, Munich, etc. - and yes - I have been to all those places and had an amazing time - but there is nothing like New York. I have actually been to all 50 states - and most of the big cities are all unique in their own way. But which city is my favorite???? NEW YORK!!!! And am I proud? Yes. Is that wrong? I don't think so. I would never hold it over anyone else - but I do think it's the best city in the world to live in.
It basically sounds like you hate New York and New Yorkers. Maybe you should post this thread on a forum that isn't made up of New Yorkers. Maybe you'll have more people who will ***** about this with you. But not here. Not with New Yorkers.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:18 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
Quote:
Secondly, people saying NYC is not like *anywhere* else - seriously? Have you travelled the *whole* earth to be able to warrant yourself this statement? Again, stinks of stupidity and arrogance.

....Yet in none of those other places you will see people making arrogant statements saying 'we're better than you'.
Oh, have you spoken to everyone in every city on the Earth to warrant yourself that statement?

Old 03-27-2010, 05:28 PM

324 posts, read 668,831 times
Quote:
Not to troll, but I wish to ask rational people in the city the logic to this stupid, snobby and obnoxious mentality so many adopt.

Firstly, the premise that you're from a place and using this as argument that you're better than others is just plain arrogant.

Don't get me wrong, NYC is a fine city, in my opinion a good city but not the best. But in other like Paris, Rome, Sydney, London, Dubai, Hong Kong and Mumbai, and lots more cities...most places are becoming like NYC now - 24/7, multicultural, etc. Yet in none of those other places you will see people making arrogant statements saying 'we're better than you'. I just want to know what's with the chip on the shoulder and portraying the bullying NY stereotype. Do they enjoy being bullies? Just because you're from XYZ place, doesn't make you 'better' than anyone.

Would these same NYers say they're 'better' than members of the military who aren't from NYC but are fighting and dying in Afghanistan?

Again, what explains the logic behind this obnoxious attitude that has become almost commonplace? City pride? Because people in other cities have city pride too, but are nowhere near as obnoxious about it. Why are so many (not all) NYers cocky and full of themselves?
The same question can be asked about many places. Dallas, Houston, the whole state of Texas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, the whole state of California and Atlanta come to mind quickly. Therefore, New Yorkers are not the only ones. NYC is recognized interchangeably as the most important city in the world with London......year after year after year after year for a reason.

Last edited by TheCity; 03-27-2010 at 05:36 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 06:18 PM

25 posts, read 130,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTSS1 View Post
Because we are better than you. New York still remains the center of energy, culture and prosperity/wealth. New York City is the Alpha city and it's about time you got used to it.
You're not better than anyone. I'm sure other cities like Tokyo etc have as much energy, London/Paris/any european city for that matter has as much culture and Moscow and further east with wealth. You're not the best at everything. Take sport. I love what you call 'soccer' (football to the rest of the world), yet if I go to NYC, you have no 'soccer' stadiums, so you fail in that regard. So you're not the best at everything. Get over yourself. Alpha city? Who cares about that? I certainly don't.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
And no other city is like New York. That isn't to say that other cities are amazing and great in their own way - but they are all different. Every city has it's own feel, it's own flavor. I love Montreal, London, Paris, Venice, Shanghai, Tokyo, Kyoto, Sao Paolo, Toronto, Boston, Chicago, Savannah, Los Angeles, Innsbrook, Munich, etc. - and yes - I have been to all those places and had an amazing time - but there is nothing like New York. I have actually been to all 50 states - and most of the big cities are all unique in their own way. [..]
It basically sounds like you hate New York and New Yorkers. Maybe you should post this thread on a forum that isn't made up of New Yorkers. Maybe you'll have more people who will ***** about this with you. But not here. Not with New Yorkers.
I post here hoping that genuine NYers who don't follow the stereotype as the arrogant loudmouth type would give a more reasonable answer.

And I smell BS in your statement of travelling to all 50 states, sorry.

And 'no place like NY'? True its a fine city, I don't 'hate' it as you say (just not my favorite, sorry), but who else do you see has the arrogance to label their place as 'the center of the universe' or 'capital of the world'? Noone. Thats why I question this as opposed to say Texas which is not my subject of discussion (by the way, Texas does not interest me at all). NY as no other city - well I know plenty other cities that have skyscrapers, multiculturalism, bars, clubs, nightlife, tattoo parlours, theaters, HQs of companies, museums, libraries, restaurants, train services, etc etc..NY is just another city, in all honesty. It's a good city but does get seriously overrated and overhyped more than any other place I know (for example I don't see people hyping up places like Shanghai or Vancouver or London the way they do NYC), and after while this just gets really, really, annoying. You know?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Youre-...7.408000573..1
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Im-fro...7.408000573..1
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Im-fro...7.408000573..1
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi....4282646924..1
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2217910680&ref=search&sid=1060270757 .4282646924..1 (broken link)
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17059520506&ref=search&sid=106027075 7.4282646924..1 (broken link)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Im-fro....4282646924..1

Just some examples. Find me a place that does it worse.

Last edited by Nihilanth; 03-27-2010 at 07:14 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Maybe you should post this thread on a forum that isn't made up of New Yorkers. Maybe you'll have more people who will ***** about this with you. But not here. Not with New Yorkers.
Maybe I should. And I invite NYers to come along also. What's the best board to go to for this?

Last edited by Nihilanth; 03-27-2010 at 07:14 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 07:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
I usually have a lot of fun on these forums. But not when you insinuate that I am a liar. I most certainly have been to all 50 states. I'm a performer and have done 3 national tours. I have performed in every state except for Nevada, Maine, and Vermont. However, I have been to those 3 states on vacation many times. I have even performed in Hawaii and Alaska. So you may smell BS but it is not coming from me. And just so you know - although I am happy that I have been to all 50 states - I in no way shape or form think that it is such an unusual feat that I would call someone a liar who claims to have done the same thing. There are probably many, many people who have been to all 50 states.

I think the best board to go to would be the "I hate New Yorkers Forum."

Seriously, I never said it was THE BEST CITY AT EVERYTHING. I think most New Yorkers just love their city and would rather live here than anywhere else. I appreciate all other places - I'm a huge traveller - it's one of my favorite things to do. But New York is my favorite city. What is so wrong about that? What is so wrong about having pride in your city? And EVERY city is unique. Not just New York. That's what I said before, that's what I'll say again.

I have a great answer for you - just don't ever come to New York or talk to New Yorkers. Problem solved.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:15 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
i see nothing beneficial about this thread. closed.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City