Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:00 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,107 times

Advertisements

This thread is one of the most racist threads. When they are refering to natives(they mean black) when they are refering to hippsters(they mean white). I cant believe people are defending the views that hipsters(whites) cant move where ever they want and live in quiet and peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
I'll speak for myself here. My advice to people who are naive to the neighborhoods of NYC is to beware of moving to the 'hood. I am black and an old-timer, and I chose not to live in certain neighborhoods because they didn't meet my quality of life standards. I am also suggesting that for the sake of one's safety, it may be better to live in a neighborhood that's a bit further out that is equally as cheap as the 'hood, even if it's not as hip or trendy. I give this advice to people regardless of race, ethnicity or gender. Finally, it isn't just hipsters that should be able to move wherever they want and live in quiet and peace -- everyone should be able to.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:28 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
People need to be respectful of each other, PERIOD.

I don't agree with your statement that "locals are used to it and have no problems." You may get used to it but you don't want it. Do you really believe that the 75-year-old couple who has owned their home for 40 years wants to listen to blasting music on their block all night long?
C'mon, man ...

This is what I see ...

1. No one enforces ordinances and nothing changes;
2. Folks complain, get harrassed as a result of complaining, and are afraid;
3. After complaining and nothing changes, you feel defeated and give up;
4. New people come and complain, and you see action (e.g., running operation impact in gentrifying neighborhoods).

Makes you go hmm ...
i clearly stated that people should respect each other, so no point of telling me.

and im pretty sure the 75 year couple who has owned their house for 40 years are probably the main ones who allowed their children and family to blast the music

but as i and others have agreed on above, if you know the area does not have what comforts you then why move??

so your telling me you will purposely move to an area that is noisey just so you can complain about it??

sounds very lame to me.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
good points but the truth is if nyc was an utopia we would all be living in safe comfortable places that we can afford easily, with no nuisances. this is not the case. nothing is perfect, but why compound issues by not doing your homework before you move somewhere? thats all im saying...

for example lets say i was a big foodie and i really liked to eat out a lot...it would only make sense that i would choose a neighborhood that had a lot of restaurants instead of the neighborhood that only had fast food and chinese takeout as an option.

the thing about it is these people move to the hood because thats all they can afford but here's the famous line, "i have to be 20 minutes away from work." there are plenty of safe affordable neighborhoods while although father from manhattan, you dont have to feel like a prisoner in your house...we have the best transportation system in the world....is it that serious to live on manhattan island? so you can tell people back home my address is ny, ny? there's 4 more boroughs by the way...

ok finished with the rant.
I wonder how many elderly people you have in your life?
Most people stuck in crappy neighborhoods don't want to live in those conditions. They would certainly move if they could. Old people have problems going up and down stairs in the subways. They like to/have to live near the doctors and dentists and drug stores that they frequent. They like to be near the grandkids - the only pleasure that some of them have.

Good people who are stuck there should not have to put up with the selfish abuse of others.

Sure, people should research neighborhoods, but the minute after you move in some idiot may move in on top of you. You don't really have that much control of these things. That's why you depend upon fair laws and their enforcement. You cannot keep moving every time some bad guy moves next door.

Have you ever heard that the only way evil can succeed is that good people do nothing? It's true.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
This thread is one of the most racist threads. When they are refering to natives(they mean black) when they are refering to hippsters(they mean white). I cant believe people are defending the views that hipsters(whites) cant move where ever they want and live in quiet and peace.
That's not what I mean at all.
Your comment sounds racist to me.
You are seeing 'codes' when there are none.
I can understand that, but it might be that you're a bit too sensitive.
Noise and crappy behavior know no race. Just lack of respect for others and probably ones self.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
i clearly stated that people should respect each other, so no point of telling me.

and im pretty sure the 75 year couple who has owned their house for 40 years are probably the main ones who allowed their children and family to blast the music

but as i and others have agreed on above, if you know the area does not have what comforts you then why move??

so your telling me you will purposely move to an area that is noisey just so you can complain about it??

sounds very lame to me.
You've twisted my message. So, again ...

1) The 75-year-old couple could have have been hard-working, law abiding homeowners. They stay in the area because their support network (family, church and friends) are nearby. They hate disrespectful neighbors MORE than the newcomers because their property value (their investment) is at stake.

2) Newcomers need to do some exploration BEFORE moving to find out if an area suits them. Everyone should be doing this. Based on what I've read here, people are relying on other people's opinions of neighborhoods based on some arbitrary "coolness" factor. Not wise. They need to physically check out these places. I have lived here most of my life and each time I've moved, I took the time to visit every prospective area.

3) I never said that. I'm saying don't move to the 'hood at all. Move to a quieter neighborhood that's safe but that might require you to travel a bit further to work or to entertainment. I sense that newcomers feel the absolute need to live "close in" and they are sacrificing their safety by doing this. My suggestion is, instead of moving to Central Harlem, where you're more likely to have noise, people hanging out and maybe getting harassed, move somewhere else. Neighborhoods that come to mind are Maspeth or Glendale, Queens.

Last edited by queensgrl; 06-08-2010 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-08-2010, 09:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I wonder how many elderly people you have in your life?
Most people stuck in crappy neighborhoods don't want to live in those conditions. They would certainly move if they could. Old people have problems going up and down stairs in the subways. They like to/have to live near the doctors and dentists and drug stores that they frequent. They like to be near the grandkids - the only pleasure that some of them have.

Good people who are stuck there should not have to put up with the selfish abuse of others.

Sure, people should research neighborhoods, but the minute after you move in some idiot may move in on top of you. You don't really have that much control of these things. That's why you depend upon fair laws and their enforcement. You cannot keep moving every time some bad guy moves next door.

Have you ever heard that the only way evil can succeed is that good people do nothing? It's true.
my post had nothing to do with the elderly that have been here for years. i was specifically referring to newcomers.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post

2) Newcomers need to do some exploration BEFORE moving to find out if an area suits them. Everyone should be doing this. Based on what I've read here, people are relying on other people's opinions of neighborhoods based on some arbitrary "coolness" factor. Not wise. They need to physically check out these places. I have lived here most of my life and each time I've moved, I took the time to visit every prospective area.

3) I never said that. I'm saying don't move to the 'hood at all. Move to a quieter neighborhood that's safe but that might require you to travel a bit further to work or to entertainment. I sense that newcomers feel the absolute need to live "close in" and they are sacrificing their safety by doing this. My suggestion is, instead of moving to Central Harlem, where you're more likely to have noise, people hanging out and maybe getting harassed, move somewhere else. Neighborhoods that come to mind are Maspeth or Glendale, Queens.
my sentiments exactly

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
I'm just gonna add this to the thread; people may hate when rents go sky high, but high rents rents tend to keep a certain element away. The newcomers probably moved in on the cheap and are now paying the consequences. Moral of the story is, don't move into certain neighborhoods regardless of how cheap it is. Best to go sleep on the beach in a good area.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I'm just gonna add this to the thread; people may hate when rents go sky high, but high rents rents tend to keep a certain element away. The newcomers probably moved in on the cheap and are now paying the consequences. Moral of the story is, don't move into certain neighborhoods regardless of how cheap it is. Best to go sleep on the beach in a good area.
Right.
'Cept for some drug dealers, low lives generally cannot afford the more expensive housing. On the other hand (here goes) years back good decent hard working people could live in poorer areas and save money to improve their station in life. This is much harder to do now because often they either have to move far away from where they work, paying high commuting costs, or they must move into a safer and more quiet area, paying higher rents.

If laws were enforced these decent people would be able to have a better quality of life. Silly me, I thought that laws were made to help the majority, who are decent and hard working.

I don't like the idea of good people having to bow to thugs all the time. Thugs, when you give them a little slack, will often escalate. Some people are like children, always testing limits and pushing to get away with more and more.

Everyone should check things out before they move, but areas can degenerate quickly, because it only takes a few abusive loudmouths to irritate a whole neighborhood.

What does a person do - just keep moving away whenever a miscreant moves in?

There are more decent people than creeps. The government and law should be forced to represent those people and not be permissive towards the nut-jobs.

Maybe a compromise would be to look for/provide venues for these 'parties'?

I remember, in suburbia, an ill person who subsequently died was at home and complained that she could not sleep during the day due to kids playing in the street. Legally kids are not supposed to play in streets. This issue didn't concern me, but I was surprised to hear, later, that the school playground, not far away, was closed so kids could not play there. Everyone is so afraid of lawsuits. No one can provide supervision to prevent drug dealers from congregating in such places.

It seems sad to me that there are no easy solutions for these sorts of problems. We live in a world in which often our only concern is to take care of ourselves, and not each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City