Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:54 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,943 times

Advertisements

Some people are rude to your face, some people buried their hatred to be pc, some people don't give a fock, some people are nice to certain races, genders, religous folks and not to others, some people try to be nice to all (but this does not last long). This happens in every city, town, village, etc. (to a greater or lesser degree in each case). You have to remember that NYC has 8.2 million residents + 40 million annual tourists. That's a lot of different personalities.

The rudeness that you see online has to do with the anonymity that you get via the internet and also the relief that a physical or verbal confrontation is not likely to take place. The anonymity gives people the chance to be the tough guy or gal that they can't be in the real world without risking the chance of a physical or verbal confrontation.

NYC is a melting pot of races, genders, lifestyles, cultures, religions, etc. Everything does not mix well nor is it expected to do so. My advise would be don't take it personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:04 PM

205 posts, read 507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
I keep seeing online that people from New York are rude. But how exactly are you guys rude? Or are yall even rude? I cant see a city full of people and everybody being rude.
I sure as hell think so. Lived in a couple different places and this one takes the cake.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:16 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
Yet another dead horse to beat.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:23 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,102 times
It depends who you talk to, where you go etc. you can't say 'New Yorkers are rude" and expect it to be 100% true... For example In washington heights and kingsbridge everyone is friendly to me. I go to SoHo and I have people following me and I've had people ask if I can afford what in thier store. THAT is rude. From my experience it's not so much being rude its people being assertive... when you have a city of 8 million people, ALL trying to get to work at 9 am, ALL rushing out to get their lunch on time, ALL rushing out to get home, you're going to think it's rude. People who live in NY don't care about the empire state building, wall street, the giant McDonald's or Madison square garden tourists do which is why people think NYers are rude. Yeah if you're walking in front of me at .0002 mph and stop while I'm behind you to take a picture I will get mad.

Check out the new Yorker, and tourist lane prank. 90% of people thought it was a great idea!

The Tourist Lane - YouTube

Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 PM

116 posts, read 232,721 times
Lol the video was funny, but yea I don't expect for it to be true about a whole city that why i wanted to get a perspective from native new yorkers.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:19 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,245 times
Yes New York is full of rude people.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:41 PM

84 posts, read 249,882 times
Why would living in one place make you rude? I hear this about Boston and Philly as well. I'm a New Yorker an I'm nice so I guess it varies.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
I confronted an old Chinese lady and told her that she shouldn't be throwing trash on the ground today. I pointed to it and said, you can't just throw trash on the ground here. She looked at me like she didnt care. I'm sure she knew exactly what I was talking about even if she didn't speak English. She had thrown her used plastic spoon right on the sidewalk of the farmer's market. Didn't even attempt to find a trash can.

Who was rude? Her or me?

Old 11-13-2011, 11:56 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I confronted an old Chinese lady and told her that she shouldn't be throwing trash on the ground today. I pointed to it and said, you can't just throw trash on the ground here. She looked at me like she didnt care. I'm sure she knew exactly what I was talking about even if she didn't speak English. She had thrown her used plastic spoon right on the sidewalk of the farmer's market. Didn't even attempt to find a trash can.

Who was rude? Her or me?

Old 11-14-2011, 12:50 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Who was rude? Her or me?
Her, yes. You understand the context of which it happened though--even though we all agree she was wrong. However, it's a personal matter mostly and she was wrong while most of us would agree with you. The thing is, when there's a lot of people who don't do that and a lot of people who aren't rude at all, the density of people means the ones who are a-holes are probably the ones who stand out and give the reputation while the rest of us are pretty nice in real life (and in that sense more forgettable) whose only real personal vice is their desire to sleep with you.

Oh hey, what's your number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: