Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 PM

197 posts, read 636,360 times

Advertisements

From places Ive visited or lived in
Probably the majority of Albany (Ghetto or college ghetto)
Newburgh- Whole City
Middletown- Most of the city,lots of town of wallkill have Middletown address those areas are fine mostly.
Peekskill- Mostly ghetto.
Beacon- Small ghetto area
Village of Haverstraw.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:37 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
From places Ive visited or lived in
Probably the majority of Albany (Ghetto or college ghetto)
Newburgh- Whole City
Middletown- Most of the city,lots of town of wallkill have Middletown address those areas are fine mostly.
Peekskill- Mostly ghetto.
Beacon- Small ghetto area
Village of Haverstraw.
Isn't Peekskill's crime rate below the national average? Albany is bigger and has its good an bad neighborhoods. Haverstraw is all bad?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:53 AM

I wouldnt believe for one second Peekskills crime is below national level mabye 20 years ago, A lot of illegals dont report crime for fear of being deported. Pretty much all of Haverstraw Village is bad place, again more illegals that dont report crime. The Town outside of the village is ok for the most part excluding some small sections.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I wouldnt believe for one second Peekskills crime is below national level mabye 20 years ago, A lot of illegals dont report crime for fear of being deported. Pretty much all of Haverstraw Village is bad place, again more illegals that dont report crime. The Town outside of the village is ok for the most part excluding some small sections.
That could be the case with Peekskill, but it seems like it's also had a resurgence due to a growing arts scene. Here's information on Peekskill: http://www.city-data.com/city/Peekskill-New-York.html Even if there are underreported crimes, it still seems like the rate would be below the national average from looking at that information. Some would debate if it's even Upstate NY too.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 AM

36 posts, read 118,733 times
Quote:
I know what you mean like I said before about Binghamton, NY having a lot unreported crime, but I have a hard time believing a City with $55,000 as the median household income and only 13.7% below poverty as being terrible with crime.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity10 View Post
I know what you mean like I said before about Binghamton, NY having a lot unreported crime, but I have a hard time believing a City with $55,000 as the median household income and only 13.7% below poverty as being terrible with crime.
Good point, but some will say that the cost of living in Westchester County is higher anyway. So, they might say that the income there isn't as high as it would be in Upstate NY.

As for Binghamton and unreported crime, is it due to say illegal immigration or is it something that the PD is hiding? It's not like it is a bigger city where it is easier to hide crime, but it could still happen.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:31 PM

36 posts, read 118,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good point, but some will say that the cost of living in Westchester County is higher anyway. So, they might say that the income there isn't as high as it would be in Upstate NY.

As for Binghamton and unreported crime, is it due to say illegal immigration or is it something that the PD is hiding? It's not like it is a bigger city where it is easier to hide crime, but it could still happen.
I think unreported crime happens generally due to the high drug activity. And I know a lot of people talk about cost of living and things like that but to me $58,000 is $58,000, a pretty good salary, and poverty is poverty.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I think unreported crime happens generally due to the high drug activity. And I know a lot of people talk about cost of living and things like that but to me $58,000 is $58,000, a pretty good salary, and poverty is poverty.
Ive lived in Albany, and if lived in Rockland (Town of Haverstraw) and believe me they are only 2 hours away, but $58,000 in Albany you live like a king, $58,000 in Rockland is a totally different story. Illegal immigrants are hesistant to report crime, lots of PD's will downgrade crime, Lots of murder victims are found out in the middle of nowhere, like the cab driver from newburgh was found in new windsor a few months back, thats going to count to new windsor crime rate, that was a product of newburgh and not new windsor etc.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I understand your first sentence as Binghamton has had a rep for such activity due to it's location in relation to bigger cities like NYC, Philly and some of the bigger Upstate NY cities. So, I can understand that. If that was minimized, crime in that city would be very low for an urban center, to be honest, considering the rate now. I just think it is tough to compare considering the unfortunate reality of drugs literally being everywhere.

BTW-I think I would take 58k anywhere myself.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Ive lived in Albany, and if lived in Rockland (Town of Haverstraw) and believe me they are only 2 hours away, but $58,000 in Albany you live like a king, $58,000 in Rockland is a totally different story. Illegal immigrants are hesistant to report crime, lots of PD's will downgrade crime, Lots of murder victims are found out in the middle of nowhere, like the cab driver from newburgh was found in new windsor a few months back, thats going to count to new windsor crime rate, that was a product of newburgh and not new windsor etc.
I believe the homicide numbers can change if they find the suspect and get the facts of the incident or say someone dies from injuries incurred from violence. I've seen that happen here in Syracuse where a kid died a year later and counted that against that year's count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York