Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:18 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davckid View Post
I work as an instrumentation/electrical controls technician in the oil and gas business, also have a Bachelor degree in IT (little computer experience). I own a home 2600 sqft (payed $162,000, property tax $1800 a year) live in a nice suburban neighborhood (Oklahoma). I enjoy the outdoors, love fishing, golfing, and camping. My main concern is being close to family in Long Island, having two small children that needs to be closer to grandma and grandpa. However, because Long Island is extremely expensive, im not sure that would ever be possible. Trying to find a location that is within driving distance, however, a great place to raise children. I am looking at either PA or Upstate NY, just started my research. Just trying to decide if relocation in this economy is crazy or actually possible. I would appreciate any feedback....Thanks

Assuming your crib is nice in a nice area then in my area of Upstate NY that many sq/ft on a 1/3 acre lot will run a quarter mil plus 4 times the taxes (7500$). Thats about six hours from LI. Closer and you can double both numbers.

Link to first big house that came up on Goggle. Search Oneida, Canastota, Sherrill Real Estate Listings For Sale

You can buy alot of plane tickets by staying put and avoiding NY taxes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 06:08 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Not necessarily true Sean: CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S234127

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S255760

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S244171

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S237604

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S254056

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S245911

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S242048

http://www.cnyhomes.com/Listing/Sear...?mlnum=S254867

I can post more and I searched for homes from 120-180,000 at 2000 to 3000 sq.feet. Keep in mind the offerings of Upstate NY compared to Oklahoma, as well as location in proximity to great world class cities, mountains, generally good schools, 4 seasons, different cultural offerings, plenty of water and so on. Most of all, you would be closer to your wife's family and since she is of the Jewish background, it would be easy for her to adapt culturally. Here's some great information on that from the Syracuse area: Jewish Musical & Cultural Festival

Syracuse Jewish Federation (http://sjfed.org/about/about.html - broken link)

Syracuse Jewish Federation (http://sjfed.org/links/synagogues.html - broken link)

JCC of Syracuse

Syracuse Hebrew - Home

Also, Syracuse University is known for having a relatively large percentage of it's students coming from a Jewish background(20% roughly). Most of the Jewish community is concentrated on Syracuse's East side and the Eastern suburbs, particularly in the Jamesville-DeWitt SD and the Fayetteville-Manlius SD, to a lesser degree. Some Jewish families send their children to Manlius-Pebble Hill, a private day school in DeWitt.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 AM

37 posts, read 86,909 times
if you are into oil and gas.. relocate to northern PA, there are hydrofracking natural gas jobs everywhere. Places like Chesapeake.. and further more you could live somewhere upstate and commute to both Long Island and work easily.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse132 View Post
if you are into oil and gas.. relocate to northern PA, there are hydrofracking natural gas jobs everywhere. Places like Chesapeake.. and further more you could live somewhere upstate and commute to both Long Island and work easily.
True and it's making its way to the Elmira area. Even if the job is in Northern PA, you could still live in the Southern Tier of NY.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:37 PM

The 8 houses you linked to have an average tax burden of $6345.

His current is 1800. Thats an extra $4545 beans a year.

While its true many people believe government can spend there money best others do not. What if he put that money in a 401K?? Or even a checking account.

Maybe he is ok with quadrupling his property tax and thats his bussiness I'm just pointing out that taxes in NY aren't just a couple bucks.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:45 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
You do realize that Upstate NY weather sucks, right?

Here's a run down of some average monthly temps

January

Syracuse
Avg high: 31
Ave low: 15

Tulsa:

March
Syracuse
Tulsa

November
Syracuse
Tulsa

Do you like having 3 or 4 extra months of Winter?

And that doesn't take into account less days of sunlight and the huge amounts of snow.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:53 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You do realize that Upstate NY weather sucks, right?

Here's a run down of some average monthly temps

January

Syracuse
Avg high: 31
Ave low: 15

Tulsa:

March
Syracuse
Tulsa

November
Syracuse
Tulsa

Do you like having 3 or 4 extra months of Winter?

And that doesn't take into account less days of sunlight and the huge amounts of snow.
I like how you chose winter and early spring specifically.

How about the absolutely beautiful cool summers where the weather likes to hover around the seventies instead of rocketing upwards to the nineties on average?

What about being safe from frequent natural disasters?

Old 06-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Lots of NY is prone to flooding.

Assuming he's not getting wiped out by tornadoes everyother day he's got a 50/50 shot at being worse off in NY.

You guys do know Tulsa is exactly Mayberry right?? If Tulsa was in NY it would be the second biggest city.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:14 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I like how you chose winter and early spring specifically.

How about the absolutely beautiful cool summers where the weather likes to hover around the seventies instead of rocketing upwards to the nineties on average?

What about being safe from frequent natural disasters?

Nobody moves to Upstate New York because of weather unless they like snowmobiling. I love it in the summer too, but the winter is very, very long in comparison to most of the country.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:18 PM

Maybe this list will help understand.

If you don't absolutely live for snow your not gonna like it here.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York