Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you welcome new developments (jobs, housing, more residents) to the Upstate NY Region?
Yes, I believe that the Upstate NY region has the potential for new development. 37 71.15%
No, I do not believe the Upstate NY region has the potential for new development because the region is dead or dying. 15 28.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:26 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,528,285 times

Advertisements

this state is taxed too much and business really have no incentive to open up as opposed to a state like Texas or the south. I dont think things will ever change in NY State due to this problem. Lower all the taxes and make it business and regulations friendly and things will improve. Also the union issue, must have union workers do alot of the jobs/construction/work so this is another problem. This is the result of social engineering by the government. They destroyed NYS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 04:56 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,870,631 times
Before HSR ever comes to Upstate which is at least 2 decades away for 150mph+ , Buffalo , Syracuse , and Rochester need to build a hybrid of a commuter Rail / Light Rail system connecting the core with suburbs. There is still alot of lightly used / Abandoned lines upstate that you can convert to LRT. The good thing about upstate NY is the population isn't as wild as downstate in sprawl layout...its seems to be trapped within borders. Another good thing is the streets are wider upstate , thus allowing for 1-2 lanes to be converted to BRT or LRT without any issues.... aside from Regional Rail / LRT each city will probably get BRT or express bus. I think a decent ridership with come out each system....at 70-90,000 for Rail and another 100,000 on the buses... After each line is built , core will become more dense and developments will appear along the line.

Some Examples...

Rochester - This city would probably benefit the most with a transit system next to Buffalo

Commuter Rail / Regional Rail

Downtown Rochester - Rochester In't Airport
Downtown Rochester - Ontario Beach
Downtown Rochester - Niagra Falls via Lockport

Light Rail / Light Metro / Streetcar

Downtown Rochester - Monroe Ave
Downtown Rochester - Main Street (Through Rochester)
Downtown Rochester - Lake Ave

Syracuse

Downtown Syracuse - Oswego via Phoenix
Downtown Syracuse - Downtown Utica via Rome
Downtown Syracuse - Watertown

Downtown Loop
Salina Street south
James Street
Genesee Street - Fairmount - Syracuse - Dewitt

Albany - You should probably tear down I-787 , its holding back the Albany Riverfront from Developing

Albany - Amsterdam via Schenectady
Albany - Troy via Rensselaer
Albany - Poughkeepsie via Hudson

Madison Ave
Western Ave / Washington Ave
Delaware Ave / Lark Street
Pearl Street

Buffalo

Buffalo Exchange Street Station - Depew
Buffalo Exchange Street Station - Niagra Falls via Tonawanda
Buffalo Exchange Street Station - Niagra Falls International Airport
Buffalo Exchange Street Station - Erie,PA via Dunkirk

University line extension
Airport Corridor
West Seneca Extension
Tonawanda Extension

Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 AM

93,546 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Nexis, what about the North Country towns and cities like Plattsburgh, Canton, Potsdam, Malone, Madden's, Ogdensburg and maybe even the Trial Lakes area(Lake Placid, Saranac Lake and Tipper Lake)?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,806,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately when someone else is footing the bill their requirements are going to dominate the policy. Trying to have more direct control over economic policies without first being able to pull your weight will continue to fall on death ears. That is like putting the cart before the horse....it will not work.

The only way to have more direct control over economic policies is to first develop and make the region attractive for business's and newcomers. The revenue they will bring will make lawmakers take notice and begin to do things differently. I am not aware of all the ins and outs of upstate NY policies but I am sure that there are some things at the local level that residents will find easier to change. NYC is a good marketing machine....this is how it came to be in its current form today....selling itself. There is no reason upstate NY cannot do the same thing. Will never get solutions to problems by focusing on things that have already been tried and have failed.

Then the next time when upstate NY residents say that they want more control over economic policy those in the government will really have their ears open because upstate NY will be a money maker. Begin with the small policies that upstate NY controls....once those things have changed move on to changing the bigger things.

There is another saying "pay the cost to be the boss"!
Upstate NY residents and businesses pay taxes. It's not as if we aren't paying any. NYC is of course going to pay more of the revenue because they have a much bigger resident and corporate base. Would have to breakdown the stats of how much each citizen and business earns (NYC vs. Upstate) on average and how much the average each takes in revenue.

Statehood will be the only way for upstate NY to really reach its full potential. Anything less than that, it's always going to be a long fight uphill.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 AM

93,546 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
this state is taxed too much and business really have no incentive to open up as opposed to a state like Texas or the south. I dont think things will ever change in NY State due to this problem. Lower all the taxes and make it business and regulations friendly and things will improve. Also the union issue, must have union workers do alot of the jobs/construction/work so this is another problem. This is the result of social engineering by the government. They destroyed NYS.
I don't know if there is NO incentive to opening a business, as the location, educated population, water access, abundance of colleges, diverse population and other factors can be used to help start or bring prosperous businesses here. I go back to consolidation of services, to some degree, has to occur in Upstate NY. Whether it is school districts, village, fire or police departments or other entities, it has to or should occur in some instances.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:40 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,550,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Upstate NY residents and businesses pay taxes. It's not as if we aren't paying any. NYC is of course going to pay more of the revenue because they have a much bigger resident and corporate base . Would have to breakdown the stats of how much each citizen and business earns (NYC vs. Upstate) on average and how much the average each takes in revenue.

Statehood will be the only way for upstate NY to really reach its full potential. Anything less than that, it's always going to be a long fight uphill.
Of course upstate NY residents pay taxes....no one implied that you don't! As I said a couple of posts ago....NYC as the breadwinner carrying most of the revenue for the entire state will of course demand that its interests come first. My mother used to tell us that if we wanted to be grown and not follow her rules we should move out and pay our own bills! The analogy is the same here.....upstate NY residents want to control policy, do not want NYC telling you what to do then it must first develop itself so that it can stand on its own economically and get out of NYC's house! We have a political system in this country where the majority rules!

Splitting the state will NEVER HAPPEN. We will just have to agree to disagree on that. Upstate NY will reach its full potential when public transportation becomes a priority. One of the many reasons so large of a population have chosen to live in NYC is because of the abundant transportation options....no one wants to be isolated, have to depend on a car to get everywhere or have no choice but to spend hours everyday commuting for work.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:42 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,870,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Nexis, what about the North Country towns and cities like Plattsburgh, Canton, Potsdam, Malone, Madden's, Ogdensburg and maybe even the Trial Lakes area(Lake Placid, Saranac Lake and Tipper Lake)?
A Regional Bus or limited Rail network will used for those towns and small cities. The Southern Tier will get a Rail link from Elmira to Binghamton and Binghamton to NYC via Scranton.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:48 PM

466 posts, read 983,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Of course upstate NY residents pay taxes....no one implied that you don't! As I said a couple of posts ago....NYC as the breadwinner carrying most of the revenue for the entire state will of course demand that its interests come first. My mother used to tell us that if we wanted to be grown and not follow her rules we should move out and pay our own bills! The analogy is the same here.....upstate NY residents want to control policy, do not want NYC telling you what to do then it must first develop itself so that it can stand on its own economically and get out of NYC's house! We have a political system in this country where the majority rules!

Splitting the state will NEVER HAPPEN. We will just have to agree to disagree on that. Upstate NY will reach its full potential when public transportation becomes a priority. One of the many reasons so large of a population have chosen to live in NYC is because of the abundant transportation options....no one wants to be isolated, have to depend on a car to get everywhere or have no choice but to spend hours everyday commuting for work.
Speak for yourself. I commute 10 minutes to work every day and love depending on my car. I hate public transportation.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:02 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,550,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Speak for yourself. I commute 10 minutes to work every day and love depending on my car. I hate public transportation.
You are only one person! If you like having to depend on a car then good for you.

There are a lot of other people who have decided not to live in the upstate NY region because they look at it as being too isolated, car dependent and lacks employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York