Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I have fond memories of that area. Our family used to go camping at Moreau Lake State Park. I remember going on the bike trail to Lake George, visiting Great Escape and going to the Aviation Mall in Queensbury.
I loved The Great Escape when it was Storytown. I still remember the year the Steamin' Demon opened up. I went on that thing 13 times in a row. I can't imagine being able to handle it once now...LOL

Lake Moreau was such a great park! I haven't been there in years. it had so many trails. A good sized lake. Not too crowded. It's on my list of places to camp again once I move back to NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Queensbury is VERY touristy. Lake George is just a few feet away and they have The Great Escape. Queensbury and Glens Falls are very used to new people coming to town. Both are also very different from Vermont. There is a bit of a New England vibe, but they are definitely New York.
Queensbury can be touristy in the summer and the fall foliage season, but its also a working town. Many people live there year round and commute to the Capital District. Glens Falls is very much a working town, but the downtown has improved A LOT and now its attracting some tourism. I'd nominate Glens Falls for the most improved downtown in Upstate NY, hands down. Lake George, the town, is very touristy, but the Lake is used by locals galore. Lake Luzerne was another non-touristy area used by locals that I enjoyed. Aviation Mall was anything but a touristy mall, and actually pretty dismal. I refuse to shop at Walmart, so my options were pretty limited there (outlets), but it was fine and I liked that the area didn't explode into some shopping mecca for downstaters.

I think what I liked about the area was the fact that it was more cosmopolitan than a small Upstate town that size should be. It was a great mix of touristy areas like Saratoga and Lake George, with working class areas like Glens Falls and Hudson Falls. Plus the VT border is only 30 minutes away and there clearly was a Vermont feel to the area, IMO. So, you have touristy areas mixed in with people who live and work there- it makes a nice combination. Its not Orlando or Martha's Vineyard. I think the tourism brings the area happy people who are on vacation too. I used to like eating breakfast at places like Suttons and eating lunch at the Sagamore, because you'd always run into travelers and interesting people.

Based on all of this, I have actually started looking at real estate up there again and considering it as a potential relocation spot, as I think it might fit me better than Syracuse. It would be a hardship for my job commuting requirements, but I realized that I enjoyed my time there more than I have in my recent trips to Syracuse. I have another trip to Syracuse coming up and I'll probably make a final decision at that point, but I think the hard commuting trips might be worth living in the area that I really like.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Vintage, have you checked out Ithaca? I think you may like it as well.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Queensbury can be touristy in the summer and the fall foliage season, but its also a working town. Many people live there year round and commute to the Capital District. Glens Falls is very much a working town, but the downtown has improved A LOT and now its attracting some tourism. I'd nominate Glens Falls for the most improved downtown in Upstate NY, hands down. Lake George, the town, is very touristy, but the Lake is used by locals galore. Lake Luzerne was another non-touristy area used by locals that I enjoyed. Aviation Mall was anything but a touristy mall, and actually pretty dismal. I refuse to shop at Walmart, so my options were pretty limited there (outlets), but it was fine and I liked that the area didn't explode into some shopping mecca for downstaters.

I think what I liked about the area was the fact that it was more cosmopolitan than a small Upstate town that size should be. It was a great mix of touristy areas like Saratoga and Lake George, with working class areas like Glens Falls and Hudson Falls. Plus the VT border is only 30 minutes away and there clearly was a Vermont feel to the area, IMO. So, you have touristy areas mixed in with people who live and work there- it makes a nice combination. Its not Orlando or Martha's Vineyard. I think the tourism brings the area happy people who are on vacation too. I used to like eating breakfast at places like Suttons and eating lunch at the Sagamore, because you'd always run into travelers and interesting people.

Based on all of this, I have actually started looking at real estate up there again and considering it as a potential relocation spot, as I think it might fit me better than Syracuse. It would be a hardship for my job commuting requirements, but I realized that I enjoyed my time there more than I have in my recent trips to Syracuse. I have another trip to Syracuse coming up and I'll probably make a final decision at that point, but I think the hard commuting trips might be worth living in the area that I really like.
Actually, Queensbury and the entire area is pretty touristy year round. Winter brings the snowbunnies out. There's snowmobile trails and skiing locally. They also get folks during Saratoga's Track season besides the amusement park and lake visitors.

Glens Falls is definitely a working town, but there are a lot of tourists who stay there during the year. Aviation Mall is owned by Pyramid. If you know anything about Upstate, it's that Pyramid is known for ummm....wrecking malls shall we say. Congel is only interested in how to scam the state and feds and not actually retain great tenants and keep the properties updated and clean. Check out Crossgates in Guilderland. They built that and wanted to turn that into Destiny USA before they went to Syracuse with it.

One thing that the area really has going for it is that it's not stuffed full of chain restaurants. Yes, there are many there. The areas first Olive Garden and Lowe's were there before moving south to the Capitol Region. There are sooooooo many mom & pop places to eat. Ice cream and burger stands. There's no shortage of places to dine when visiting. Many places have been open for ages. Crap places don't survive.

Interesting tidbit....Lake George is home to one of only three of the original Howard Johnson restaurants. There are rumors that it will close the end of this summer. The story is the owner wants to retire. So if you want to check it out, it could be your last chance. It's right on Canada Street.

Over the years, I've known several people who have commuted from Glens Falls to Clifton Park, Guilderland, and East Greenbush. They all say you get used to the commute. In the winter, it can be a challenge because of the snow and ice storms, but you'll have that anywhere in NY. If you can work outside of the 9-5 with flex hours, it's not too bad. If you can telecommute, it's a piece of cake.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Vintage, have you checked out Ithaca? I think you may like it as well.
Ithaca is really nice and it would work way better for my job but I just never "felt" it there. Its a bit isolated for me and I found the preachy uber-liberal feel of the town a little off putting. I am a Democrat, with libertarian leanings, and even I found it a bit much. Same goes for Burlington, VT. I dreamed of living there years ago, and finally stayed there for a week once and it wore me out. Rich kids from downstate all over pretending to be bohemian and "poor". I couldn't take it! I guess what I'm looking for is great outdoor access combined with being close to a city and all of the shopping, airport, hospitals, amenities, etc. I guess I want a place that's a little more family oriented, less college oriented, with access to hiking, fishing, rafting, etc close at hand. Queensbury/Glens Falls fits that well, its further from my job sites but closer to family, the ocean, and some of my favorite places in New England too (Cape Cod to surf, NH for skiing, the Maine coast, sick whitewater rafting on the Dead River in Maine, yeah!)

Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Actually, Queensbury and the entire area is pretty touristy year round. Winter brings the snowbunnies out. There's snowmobile trails and skiing locally. They also get folks during Saratoga's Track season besides the amusement park and lake visitors.

Glens Falls is definitely a working town, but there are a lot of tourists who stay there during the year. Aviation Mall is owned by Pyramid. If you know anything about Upstate, it's that Pyramid is known for ummm....wrecking malls shall we say. Congel is only interested in how to scam the state and feds and not actually retain great tenants and keep the properties updated and clean. Check out Crossgates in Guilderland. They built that and wanted to turn that into Destiny USA before they went to Syracuse with it.

One thing that the area really has going for it is that it's not stuffed full of chain restaurants. Yes, there are many there. The areas first Olive Garden and Lowe's were there before moving south to the Capitol Region. There are sooooooo many mom & pop places to eat. Ice cream and burger stands. There's no shortage of places to dine when visiting. Many places have been open for ages. Crap places don't survive.

Interesting tidbit....Lake George is home to one of only three of the original Howard Johnson restaurants. There are rumors that it will close the end of this summer. The story is the owner wants to retire. So if you want to check it out, it could be your last chance. It's right on Canada Street.

Over the years, I've known several people who have commuted from Glens Falls to Clifton Park, Guilderland, and East Greenbush. They all say you get used to the commute. In the winter, it can be a challenge because of the snow and ice storms, but you'll have that anywhere in NY. If you can work outside of the 9-5 with flex hours, it's not too bad. If you can telecommute, it's a piece of cake.
I'll be commuting from Queensbury to Philadelphia mostly. How's that trip sound? Sometimes to DC/Baltimore as well. And Syracuse. And Long Island.

But- its only 2-3 times a month and the rest is telecommuting. Its all outside of 9-5 for sure, and I stay in hotels a lot. I fly sometimes too, to other locations, but almost always out of PHL.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Ithaca is really nice and it would work way better for my job but I just never "felt" it there. Its a bit isolated for me and I found the preachy uber-liberal feel of the town a little off putting. I am a Democrat, with libertarian leanings, and even I found it a bit much. Same goes for Burlington, VT. I dreamed of living there years ago, and finally stayed there for a week once and it wore me out. Rich kids from downstate all over pretending to be bohemian and "poor". I couldn't take it! I guess what I'm looking for is great outdoor access combined with being close to a city and all of the shopping, airport, hospitals, amenities, etc. I guess I want a place that's a little more family oriented, less college oriented, with access to hiking, fishing, rafting, etc close at hand. Queensbury/Glens Falls fits that well, its further from my job sites but closer to family, the ocean, and some of my favorite places in New England too (Cape Cod to surf, NH for skiing, the Maine coast, sick whitewater rafting on the Dead River in Maine, yeah!)
Queensbury/Glens Falls is DEFINITELY not a college town. Yes, Queensbury ia home to Adirondack Community College, but it's not like having a 4 year school where 5,000 kids come to live and party for 9 months of the year. It is also very family oriented. Part of that is because it's such a tourist destination, but they also have some families that have been there for ages. The whole area around Albany is pretty family oriented especially compared to some other parts of the country.

Personally, I think Vermont is a little too Vermonty. It's nice to visit, but I think I would lose my mind. Too much granola for me in one boat. If you catch my drift.

It's not a bad drive to the Cape, NH, or Maine from the area either. I'm from southern Saratoga County so I've done those drives more times than I can count.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I'll be commuting from Queensbury to Philadelphia mostly. How's that trip sound? Sometimes to DC/Baltimore as well. And Syracuse. And Long Island.

But- its only 2-3 times a month and the rest is telecommuting. Its all outside of 9-5 for sure, and I stay in hotels a lot. I fly sometimes too, to other locations, but almost always out of PHL.
My other half telecommutes and travels. Next week there's an Ohio trip. I get to go to the airport at 4 am....oh joy! Hotel life gets old quickly. Eating out becomes very mundane. I totally understand where you're coming from. Due to the travel in our lives for work, we are looking to relocate to the Finger Lakes so we can have mini vacations on weekends and holidays. We love the area and used to go every other weekend when we lived near Albany.

Oh if you did move to Queensbury, you'd fly out of Albany unless you drove to NYC or Newark. Albany isn't a bad airport. Now we we use the airports in Augusta, GA and Columbia, SC the Albany airport is like JFK!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the Utica-Rome area could work too. It is in between Syracuse(about 45 minutes or so away) and the Albany-Schenectady-Troy(about an hour or so away from the closest point) areas, but has all of those things within its metro area. Places like New Hartford, Whitesboro/Whitestown, Clinton/Kirkland and maybe parts of Utica and Rome would work for you. You have Old Forge, which is a nice, little community in the Adirondacks and northern Herkimer County in the metro area. Access to great fishing, hiking and rafting, there are about 3-4 hospitals in the area, shopping in New Hartford and even some good food.

Watertown is another area that comes to mind. It has the mix of a military town with the presence of Fort Drum, but you also have the 1000 Islands, Lake Ontario and the Adirondacks close by. You would probably like communities like Sackets Harbor, Clayton, Alexandria Bay, Henderson Harbor and Cape Vincent. Watertown has some nice neighborhoods and the villages of Carthage and West Carthage are very family friendly and is very close to outdoors based offerings. There has been an increase in shopping on Arsenal Street on Watertown's West Side near I-81. Syracuse is only an hour or so away too. Ottawa is about an hour and a half north of there.

Here are some other shopping areas in different parts of Upstate NY too: COR Development Company, LLC | Home

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-10-2012 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps the Utica-Rome area could work too. It is in between Syracuse(about 45 minutes or so away) and the Albany-Schenectady-Troy(about an hour or so away from the closest point) areas, but has all of those things within its metro area. Places like New Hartford, Whitesboro/Whitestown, Clinton/Kirkland and maybe parts of Utica and Rome would work for you. You have Old Forge, which is a nice, little community in the Adirondacks and northern Herkimer County in the metro area. Access to great fishing, hiking and rafting, there are about 3-4 hospitals in the area, shopping in New Hartford and even some good food.

Watertown is another area that comes to mind. It has the mix of a military town with the presence of Fort Drum, but you also have the 1000 Islands, Lake Ontario and the Adirondacks close by. You would probably like communities like Sackets Harbor, Clayton, Alexandria Bay, Henderson Harbor and Cape Vincent. Watertown has some nice neighborhoods and the villages of Carthage and West Carthage are very family friendly and is very close to outdoors based offerings. There has been an increase in shopping on Arsenal Street on Watertown's West Side near I-81. Syracuse is only an hour or so away too. Ottawa is about an hour and a half north of there.

Here are some other shopping areas in different parts of Upstate NY too: COR Development Company, LLC | Home
Here's more information: Visiting the Mohawk Valley NY - Central NY

Mohawk Valley Living

Visit Watertown NY located in Upstate New York along the Canadian Border and close to Fort Drum Home to the 10th Mountain Division

1000 Islands

Thousand Islands | 1000 islands | Tourism Info | Images Thousand Islands Region
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York