Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it, but there's nothing so special about NY State (and even NYC) that makes it worth the tax rape. What can be had here can easily be found somewhere else with lower taxes. I'm in DFW now, and with the tax money saved my move paid for itself in just a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,328 times
I know this is off topic but I'm putting it here anyways. It is April 12th and we have school closing and delays because of ice. And I pay more to live here?

Ok I'm being a negative Naley so I do have to say I love where I live, I have great neighbors and this is an excellent community. I'm 20 minutes from Canada, very rural, and it's the only place I would want to raise my daughter. I like going grocery shopping and knowing I'm going to see at least 1 person I know, or going into the local pizza place and knowing that I will most likely be joining another family for dinner. But I hate NY State's politics, taxes, and weather.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:15 AM

26 posts, read 33,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I hate to say it, but there's nothing so special about NY State (and even NYC) that makes it worth the tax rape. What can be had here can easily be found somewhere else with lower taxes. I'm in DFW now, and with the tax money saved my move paid for itself in just a few months.
Congratulations on the move. You are definitely in one of the states that is booming right now.

The Dallas-DFW has a varieties of different restaurants not to mention the quality of good food unlike someone who kept saying how good the restaurants are in Syracuse. And that is the same person who has been denying about the high tax in Upstate NY as well as high cost of living in that region. I am glad he is no longer arguing and a part of this discussion because he always tries to twist the fact to glorified Upstate NY.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I know this is off topic but I'm putting it here anyways. It is April 12th and we have school closing and delays because of ice. And I pay more to live here?

Ok I'm being a negative Naley so I do have to say I love where I live, I have great neighbors and this is an excellent community. I'm 20 minutes from Canada, very rural, and it's the only place I would want to raise my daughter. I like going grocery shopping and knowing I'm going to see at least 1 person I know, or going into the local pizza place and knowing that I will most likely be joining another family for dinner. But I hate NY State's politics, taxes, and weather.
Thank you very very much for sharing your experience. You sound like a very genuine person who is just another victim of the high cost of living and the bureaucracy in Upstate NY. I can picture the charming and the friendly environment you have just described. But it is time to stop this high taxes and bureaucracy by leaving the state when you have a chance because I only see things get worse. I have a friend who has a house worth around $350k and she is paying over $14,000 in property taxes in Rochester NY. By the time she finishes that mortgage, she can buy another house with the amount of taxes she has paid in 30 years.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 AM

Thank you shariff! I try to be as honest as possible, but I have come to realize that our emotions color our experiences.

I'm just starting to realize there is a different, lower tax way of life. I've lived in some part of upstate NY all my life. Now I'm trying to imagine what life would be like without the high property taxes, or the other fees that are a part of living in NY. But its such a foreign concept to my, I can't really picture what that would be like.

ETA: I didn't explain that clearly, I mean what life would be like here, where I live, without the high cost of living. Would it make winter more bearable? Would people be less stressed? Would we loose services and be more stressed? IDK what that world would look like.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Quote:
Thank you shariff! I try to be as honest as possible, but I have come to realize that our emotions color our experiences.

I'm just starting to realize there is a different, lower tax way of life. I've lived in some part of upstate NY all my life. Now I'm trying to imagine what life would be like without the high property taxes, or the other fees that are a part of living in NY. But its such a foreign concept to my, I can't really picture what that would be like.

ETA: I didn't explain that clearly, I mean what life would be like here, where I live, without the high cost of living. Would it make winter more bearable? Would people be less stressed? Would we loose services and be more stressed? IDK what that world would look like.
Another thing that becomes more and more urgent as you age is losing the time of every Winter. When I was 20 I didn't even think about it. When I was 30 I realized it was happening but life goes on forever so who cares?? When I was 40 it hit me and grows every year. For 6-9 months of every year I'm a shut in. Close the shop down, put the lawn furniture away and basicly say goodbye to everyone til next Memorial Day.

Just sit in the heated house and run to the heated car to the heated store/store. Thats no way to live and once it hits you that life has a beginning AND and an ending you see wasting half of every year is not how humans are supposed to live.

NY's brutal crushing taxes just makes it that much worse.

BTW I do know people who like to just watch TV in there apartments and wait to die and they are happy with NY so it is out there its just not for me.

Mid-April and its very cold, rainy, gloomy and haven't seen the Sun in weeks and snow for the weekend. Ya we really get four seasons here. Almost Winter, Winter, still Winter and road construction.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:20 AM

I have to laugh Sean cause this morning Beth Hall on channel 7 news said "well there are only 2 seasons in the north country" and her co-host chimed in with "winter and road construction". Oldest and most truthful joke in upstate.

And I know exactly what you mean about being a shut in 6-9 months out of the year. I will try to do winter activities and "live life" in the winter but I do not enjoy them and can't wait for them to be over. 10 years and I will be leaving, as soon as my daughter graduates. In the mean time I will make sure my certifications and trainings stay current and valid, take classes as needed so when we are ready I can easily find a job in a warmer local, within 30 minutes to the ocean.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:

I want to thank you for your great gesture, honesty and class act. You and Sean are the reason why information stay accurate on this forum unlike ckhtankgod who has a tendency to twist facts.

Life would certainly be better in Upstate NY without high taxes but the winters will always be long and the negative economic growth as well as people moving away are the depressing facts. I love the little town feel you have described above but you could find a place like that say in New Hampshire which is close to the ocean (think beach) and less than 1 hour away from a city lime Boston. If you want cheap cost if living then Delaware is a great place. I have a friend who just bought a house worth $380k and she is only paying $3,000 for property tax not to mention there is no sales tax.

I think you are an intelligent person will be happy with your future decision due to your honesty along with a positive plan to make yourself valuable in the job market. You can not change the general environment as well as the politics in Upstate NY but you have impressed me by willing to step up to make a change. May your story be another inspiration for people who are in denial like ckhthankgod to finally wake up and do something for themselves as well as their children.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:56 AM

40 posts, read 86,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Another thing that becomes more and more urgent as you age is losing the time of every Winter. When I was 20 I didn't even think about it. When I was 30 I realized it was happening but life goes on forever so who cares?? When I was 40 it hit me and grows every year. For 6-9 months of every year I'm a shut in. Close the shop down, put the lawn furniture away and basicly say goodbye to everyone til next Memorial Day.

Just sit in the heated house and run to the heated car to the heated store/store. Thats no way to live and once it hits you that life has a beginning AND and an ending you see wasting half of every year is not how humans are supposed to live.

NY's brutal crushing taxes just makes it that much worse.

BTW I do know people who like to just watch TV in there apartments and wait to die and they are happy with NY so it is out there its just not for me.

Mid-April and its very cold, rainy, gloomy and haven't seen the Sun in weeks and snow for the weekend. Ya we really get four seasons here. Almost Winter, Winter, still Winter and road construction.
Thank you for verbalizing what i have been feeling for years. I have relatives who live upper middle class on LI. I see them working into their 80's (basically working until they die) so that they can maintain their lifestyles, (one of them pays over 28,000 just in property taxes). It becomes a vicious cycle, make more, spend even more, pay even more taxes and work even more to pay the bills. That's one cycle I want to break for myself soon. The only way to do it is retire and move from NYS. That may not be for everyone, but its sure is for me!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 AM

Thank you but I have to disagree with your assessment of ckhthankgod's honesty. I know many people who love NY state and love winter. I've tried to refer them to mental health professionals but apparently loving winter is not a mental disorder defined by the DSM. No place is wholly good or bad, and different strokes for different folks.

However this thread inspired me to check out career opportunities in my field in other locations. And now I am truly inspired, my field is booming globally. By the time my daughter graduates I will most likely have a doctorate and enough experience to choose my job. That's quite an inspiration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York