Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 09:21 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,614 times

Advertisements

I am retired and my wife will be retiring at the end of the year at which time we will be moving from Long Island. Saugerties is one of the towns that we are considering and I would appreciate if someone could let us know the pros and cons of living there.

Norm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 02:33 PM

35 posts, read 157,962 times
I lived in Saugerties all of my life. My husband and I just moved south 1 1/2 years ago. Both of our families are still in Saugerties. It is a great town with a lot of diversity. My biggest gripe was the outrageous tax hikes and the cost of living after 9/11, which I am sure you probably saw in LI. The village has some great little shops and restaurants. I am assuming you have visited as not many people pick Saugerties without seeing it first. It is hard for me to really give some info without knowing exactly what it is you are looking for. If you could be a little more specific I will try to provide you with as much info as possible.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,614 times
Hi bzmom,

We used to have a vacation house in E. Jewett so we've been to the shops in Saugerties fairly often but that was 0 years ago and things change. We would like:

House priced $250K and under
Near a good sized library
Don't want our neighbor's houses to be right on top of us
Must be a close drive to a major hospital.
Large supermarket nearby
Not too far from a good sized mall
A safe place to live

How much are real estate taxes?

Old 04-04-2009, 02:58 PM

35 posts, read 157,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Hi bzmom,

We used to have a vacation house in E. Jewett so we've been to the shops in Saugerties fairly often but that was 0 years ago and things change. We would like:

House priced $250K and under
Near a good sized library
Don't want our neighbor's houses to be right on top of us
Must be a close drive to a major hospital.
Large supermarket nearby
Not too far from a good sized mall
A safe place to live

How much are real estate taxes?
I am so sorry it has taken me so long to respond! With Saugerties as your choice for location it may be a bit hard to meet all of your "wants". Like I said I have been gone for almost 2 years so I am not sure how the home prices have been. When we sold our home it was a basic 3br/1bath 1300 sq ft house and we sold it for just under that. Our taxes were pushing 4,000 a year. The only library in Saugerties is right in the village on Washington Ave. If I do remember correctly there was talk of building a new one but I am not sure where that location would be. The two major hospitals in the area are actually in Kingston which can vary in distance anywhere from 10-15 minutes to 30 minutes depending on where in Saugerties you chose to live. The largest supermarket in Saugerties is Price Chopper on Ulster Ave. This is the only supermarket in Saugerties so their prices are sometimes a bit up there. The closest mall is the Hudson Valley Mall on Ulster Avenue in Kingston. There is also a supermarket (Hannaford) across the street from the mall in Kingston. With all of that said, you may be able to find something in your price range on the outskirts of Saugerties. These areas are still considered Saugerties and when looking online for homes they will more than likely still be listed as Saugerties addresses. One area that is quite nice is Blue Mountain. It is a nice quiet area on the outskirts of Saugerties. You may or may not be at the top of your price range in this area. The homes in this area are usually more spread out and you can sometimes find a pretty good size of land with them. This area would put you further away from Kingston and the village of Saugerties. Another area is the Glasco area. This area is along the Hudson River and is also a nice area. I personally would stay out of the heart of Glasco as the homes are close together and let's just say, everyone knows everyone! I personally would stay away from Barkley Heights. This is also in Saugerties. It is close to the village, just over the bridge, but it is known for troubles with the younger crowd. A friend of mine lives there and her and a few of her neighbors had their cars spray painted. Just a little FYI for you. There is also Malden which is also along the Hudson River. This is also a nice area and is close to the village, though the home prices may be a little pricer since they are considered river location. West Camp is a nice area. This is on the outskirts of Saugerties as well. There are so many little areas throughout Saugerties that are still considered Saugerties yet they have other go by names. I hope this gives you some information that can help you with your choice. If I can be of anymore help, please let me know. Good luck with everything!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:32 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,156 times
Saugerties is a great place to retire to from LI! I grew up around there and I miss the area immensely!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 10,627 times
I grew up on Long Island, and loved the climate. Now it is too built up--the sixties and seventies still had a lot of open space. I lived on skirts of village of Saugerties for ten years--because I could not afford Woodstock. The only area I liked in Saugerties was West Saugerties (Blue Mountain as mentioned), because it is very rural and beautiful, near cold and beautiful Plattekill Clove. Cannot stand antiques--Saugerties was loaded with them, could not stand the vibe there either, do not like it at all, but it is such a personal thing, you'd have to visit. Convenient to stores in Kingston. Close to Hudson River which I would never risk swimming in. And freezing cold winters, so different from Long Island climate. Barely a Springtime. I would never choose to live there, though I understand it's trying to become more hip...haven't been back in ten years so i assume my opinion is worthless! People who cannot afford Woodstock often live in West Saugerties. The village of Saugerties is more for people who do not want to be in Woodstock.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
I am retired and my wife will be retiring at the end of the year at which time we will be moving from Long Island. Saugerties is one of the towns that we are considering and I would appreciate if someone could let us know the pros and cons of living there.

Norm
My husband and I are also living on Long Island, and have been thinking of retiring upstate, and are looking at Saugerties. Just wondering, did you retire there? We would be interested in any thoughts or information you could give us. Thanks

Old 06-12-2018, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,512 times
I'm born and raised in saugerties and this town has become a mecca for ricj long island tast less sleeze bags. Ever since HITS moved in all these wealthy *******s c mae here to have there daughters horse jump a field. There tasteless big SUV driving conservative polo shirt wearing smug snobby people. And the real locals have been pushed out. But we stay here and fight the gentrification. NO MORE LONG ISLAND FOLK. although thos towns been raped by gentrification for over 10 years now. Just 8 years ago it wasent this bad. My neighborhood is now air bnb long island folk and NYC people. ATLEAST IF MADE OUR PROPERTY QUADRUPLE IN PRICE. so we can sell the stunning Victorian house iv lived in my whole life to u guys for massive high price compared to what we bought rot for in 1990. Hopefully no sleeve yuppies move into our special home. That would be depressing. but money talks and the crowd coming to saugerties are tatstless wealthy people. If u are rich don't be tatstless. But it's kinda hard when ur urban ur whole life and u move to the country. Just have taste atleast.thanks for genttrifing my home town we will move out. After 27 years here. And u can give us the $$$ and we will go somewere deeper into the woods. This town is a gem. Next to the great Hudson river sadly it's no secret anymore. Money talks now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York