Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 05:12 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Why do we care? The Utica School District and and all school districts are seeking the best teachers they can find. If the best teachers were 100% female, black and Muslim, so be it. And I think typical parents of a minority student would love to here their kids come home and say they love their teacher, who just happens to be white.

Sick of this issue.

As for not having the resources, my parents had parents who immigrated from eastern Europe speaking no English, and having no money. Somehow, it all worked out for my parents and their siblings. Education was paramount and teachers were respected.
The article isn’t just about the Utica City SD, but about the state as a whole.

I think a part of this is due to the change in demographics in terms of students, but not so much in terms of teachers. So, the article is addressing or is just wondering why there hasn’t been as much demographic change in terms of teachers. It is a legitimate question, but like any topic like this, it isn’t going to have a simple or cut and dry answer. With this said, I personally think it is a matter of time just from looking at college demographics and as demographics continue to change throughout the state, including suburban and even small town/rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 12:27 PM

5,743 posts, read 4,120,674 times
I worked at the big 3 employers in Rochester, and one thing I noticed universally was that as the blacks rose up the ranks, they dressed very good, and got into their BMW's or Lexus and went home to one of the "P" towns. What a shame they abandoned the old neighborhoods.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I worked at the big 3 employers in Rochester, and one thing I noticed universally was that as the blacks rose up the ranks, they dressed very good, and got into their BMW's or Lexus and went home to one of the "P" towns. What a shame they abandoned the old neighborhoods.
What does that have to do with the thread? To be fair, a hall director I knew at Oswego State previously worked for Kodak and lived in Perinton, if I'm not mistaken, after coming out of Delaware State, an HBCU(and an example of the type of institution SD's should also be looking for some teachers, in relation to the thread).

Also, some lived in the nicer outer city neighborhoods in the SW and NE Quadrants or suburbs with substantial black populations like Henrietta, Chili, Gates or Greece. Henrietta in particular is known for being the "original" suburb black people would move to. If you look at an older Rush-Henrietta(Sperry or Roth) yearbook, like this one from 1975: https://www.classmates.com/siteui/ye...18385?page=155 You'll already start to notice a visible black student population already there.

Same here in 1979: https://www.classmates.com/siteui/ye...221186?page=91

and in 1982: https://www.classmates.com/siteui/ye...721858?page=55

So, many went all over the area, but Henrietta was ahead of the game in that regard.

I only know this due to my sibling in law's family moved from the 19th Ward to Gates(their dad worked at GM, I believe).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-21-2020 at 01:03 PM..

Old 02-21-2020, 01:22 PM

5,743 posts, read 4,120,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What does that have to do with the thread? To be fair, a hall director I knew at Oswego State previously worked for Kodak and lived in Perinton, if I'm not mistaken, after coming out of Delaware State, an HBCU(and an example of the type of institution SD's should also be looking for some teachers, in relation to the thread).

Also, some lived in the nicer outer city neighborhoods in the SW and NE Quadrants or suburbs with substantial black populations like Henrietta, Chili, Gates or Greece. Henrietta in particular is known for being the "original" suburb black people would move to. If you look at an older Rush-Henrietta(Sperry or Roth) yearbook, like this one from 1975: https://www.classmates.com/siteui/ye...18385?page=155 You'll already start to notice a visible black student population already there.

Same here in 1979: https://www.classmates.com/siteui/ye...221186?page=91

and in 1982: https://www.classmates.com/siteui/ye...721858?page=55

So, many went all over the area, but Henrietta was ahead of the game in that regard.

I only know this due to my sibling in law's family moved from the 19th Ward to Gates(their dad worked at GM, I believe).

I believe it has everything to do with it. Wouldn't you think it's good to have positive, successful role models of your own culture in your neighborhood?

Old 02-21-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I believe it has everything to do with it. Wouldn't you think it's good to have positive, successful role models of your own culture in your neighborhood?
That is assuming that they aren't already there or said people just stay in those areas for all aspects of life. Many of those same people are likely to go to church/worship, mentor, get their hair cut/done, etc. in an urban area. Especially when you are talking about Upstate NY, where you are likely to go for "community" based things.

Also, that may be a point that the article is making in regards to the classroom/public schools as well. So, in that instance, that is where recruiting comes into play.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:27 AM

A related article...

New York Senate Approves Education Diversity Measures: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...rsity-measures

Old 02-05-2021, 07:02 AM

20,114 posts, read 20,915,876 times
Math doesn’t lie. You just don’t have the numbers for widespread diversity.
Numbers dictate majority vs minority.
There are just way too many white folk to have “diversity”.
It’s all identity politics. They use race and “diversity” as a marketing scheme to get votes.
I just don’t understand why people can’t grasp that concept. We are all being played.
If these jerks would stop with this crap and just let people be people and not pit us against each other, we might just exist a little better, but that would be a bad business model for the politicians.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:29 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,829,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It’s all identity politics. They use race and “diversity” as a marketing scheme to get votes.
I just don’t understand why people can’t grasp that concept. We are all being played.

If these jerks would stop with this crap and just let people be people and not pit us against each other, we might just exist a little better, but that would be a bad business model for the politicians.

^This. Until identity politics ends, America will always be in turmoil. We're letting the media pit us against each other, black/brown vs white, when they only truly care about green.

Also, I don't identify as "White". "White" and "Black" were terms that ramped-up during the Civil War, because at that time, wealth was concentrated in the hands of a few white (predominately English) landowners. 90% of "White" people were dirt-poor farmers just like the recently-freed "Blacks", so the oligarchs at the time couldn't have poor blacks and poor whites unifying and revolting against them. So, they separated us out by "black" and "white" to make a "us vs them" divide. Its all 100% BS. And it continues to this day. Green is the only color that matters to those in power, and it has been that way since the beginning of time.

I know this is true because I got banned from Facebook for posting this. That tells me its 100% true.

Before the 1860's, the vast majority of people identified by where they were from: "Scottish-American", "French American" etc. Europe is not a cultural monolith, and should not be treated as such. Nor is Africa.

Do people think all problems will be solved when its 25% white, 25% Asian, 25% Hispanic, and 25% black? Nope. They have to keep us at war with each other. It drives advertising, fear, and you buying more plastic garbage from slave labor in China, that you don't need.

I am Italian American, not white. My ancestors had nothing to do with slavery in this country, as they came after the 20th century began. So, I refuse to be lumped in with the White, Black or brown categories. Most likely, I am a mix of all of these anyway, so who cares? I cannot and will not be categorized, and people need to push back and not allow this either.

Last edited by VintageSunlight; 02-05-2021 at 09:42 AM..

Old 02-05-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The point of the article is that the demographics in the school enrollment is quite different than the teacher demographics. I think some play into it, but some don't as well and just want more examples for the student enrollment can relate to in terms of visibility. Everything in this regard isn't political for people, but more social in terms of role models/examples that do the work at a high level. Some of this depends on the school district/location as well. I don't believe this is about having an even amount of different groups of teachers either.

Here are the demographics for the state in terms of public school enrollment: https://data.nysed.gov/

State demographics: https://data.census.gov/cedsci/profile?g=0400000US36

Some of this also may come down to what may occur in terms of workplace connections and similar aspects(networking, where districts look for teachers, etc.) as well.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:53 PM

20,114 posts, read 20,915,876 times
right, I get it, but it still comes down to numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York