Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2022, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,181 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Recently we had moved to New York with a 4 year old child.

My husband and I are immigrants and our total annual compensations are 350k(before tax), and we have some savings. Hope to find a place safe, affordable, and having a great public school system to settle down.

My questions are as follows:

1.Which is better choice, Forest Hills, Great Neck or Short Hills in New Jersey?

2. Rent or buy?

Appreciate any thoughts to reply. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 05:11 PM

93,214 posts, read 123,819,554 times
What about employment? Budget?

Old 12-12-2022, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about employment? Budget?
My husband works in Manhattan, and I can work from home for most of the time.

For buying, our budget are less than or around 1.3m. Hope that the property tax could be affordable.

For renting, no clear budget, just sustainable for 35k (tax before )total compensation.

Thanks.

Old 12-16-2022, 12:56 PM

19 posts, read 19,325 times
You should post this in both the New York City and Long Island sub forums to get more responses and opinions for forest hills and great neck neighborhoods. Both are good neighborhoods, but great neck may have better parking options and schools. Forest hills has better nightlife, but more parking and traffic congestion. Both have lirr train stations to get into the city, forest hills also has the subway and bus lines. I think that it depends how much of an urban / suburban feel you want. Not sure about the New Jersey neighborhood.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:13 PM

317 posts, read 311,531 times
You'll need a car in Short Hills or Great Neck. You can live without a car in Forest Hills. You will have to pay a NYC tax of ~4% in Forest Hills. Property taxes in NJ and LI are higher than in FH, if you decide to buy, but FH real estate is more expensive per sq. foot and the inventory is limited. Schools in Short Hills and Great Neck are better than those in Forest Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York