Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:38 AM

67 posts, read 335,490 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I are thinking of moving to Pearl River. Any information would be most helpful. Would we feel out of place since we are not Irish Catholic (some have told us almost the entire population is Irish Catholic)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 06:05 PM

277 posts, read 773,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springcheer View Post
Hi,

My family and I are thinking of moving to Pearl River. Any information would be most helpful. Would we feel out of place since we are not Irish Catholic (some have told us almost the entire population is Irish Catholic)?

Thanks!
I don't have any statistics to back this up, but in my opinion, PR is diverse enough that not being Irish Catholic would not pose an issue. Yes, EVERYBODY associates PR with being that, but its not like people will look at you funny if you don't have red hair and freckles

My wife lived in PR during her high school years, and even then (circa 10 years ago) there were plenty of Italian, Jewish, Asian, etc. in her class. You will not find too many African-Americans, however.

As for PR itself, it's a wonderful town to live in. If you can afford the area, then be all means go for it. The only thing I'm not a fan of are the streets with the older ranch/cape cod style houses from the 50's. The newer neighborhoods are beautiful, however.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 24,999 times
Default Some help ..

I live in one of the newer developments (1984) in Pearl River. You couldn't ask for a nicer place to live. Our development is completely diversified. All types of people live here. As long as you can pay the high taxes, you can live anywhere you want. Everyone around here, gets along peacefully. If you have 700k, my neighbors house was just put back on the market.

Al ..

Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,692 times
http://www.city-data.com/city/Pearl-River-New-York.html - from 2000

Old 04-01-2007, 05:52 AM

11 posts, read 48,755 times
Grassroot and Frogboy - where are the newer developments in PR? I am currently looking at homes in PR but don't know the areas to well. I was told that Nauraushawn was the better area of PR. What area should I look at that have the newer homes? Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:57 PM

277 posts, read 773,302 times
TT
Thats a little tough to answer, as they are kind of spread out. For the most part, the neighborhoods closest to Central Ave. (the "downtown" part of PR) are the older ones, and the further you venture out, the newer neighborhoods you will see.

There is a really nice neighborhood built in the 80's that is right off of Townline Rd. (Exit 7 PIP). If you are looking for newer, then you should drive down Sickletown Road (also right off Townline Rd/Exit 7), but these are approaching McMansion style/price.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 35,821 times
Default Pearl River

It is true there are a lot of Irish Catholics in Pearl River but they are less than 50% of the population. The town has become more integrated in recent years. There are excellent schools, reasonably priced homes and we are near many amenities in the county and in Bergen County New Jersey. I am a realtor here and I would love to show you some of the homes available in the "Town of Friendly People" Please call me Maureen 845-735-4110

Old 08-16-2007, 08:08 PM

39 posts, read 208,571 times
Default Fond Memories...

Pearl River was my childhood home -- lived there for 16 years before moving away in 1980. I can't think of anywhere I would like to live more. Regardless of your heritage, I think you'll be made to feel very welcome in "The Town of Friendly People."

Good luck ...

D. Jordan-Knight

Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,083 times
Default Pearl River or Piermont

Hello, we're thinking of relocating in the near future from nyc to Pearl River or Piermont. Have visited Piermont and it's a lovely place with friendly people (at least the ones we met). Great schools are important as well as diversity, and a main street area that you can still get a great cup of coffe or a great meal. Found this in Piermont plus the close proximity to Nyack's restaurants also makes it appealing. Have not visited Pear River as of yet but plan to do so very soon. Would appreciate suggestions from anyone very familiar with both places... Thanks.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 9,027 times
Hi...My family and I moved to Pearl River/Orangeburg about 8 years ago and it was the best move we ever made. Excellent schools and a great sense of community! Our taxes are high but it is worth it. We're not moving out of here until we have to!!!! Good luck and let me know if I can help with any questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York