Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:33 PM

38 posts, read 197,410 times

Advertisements

Hello... I am moving up to Warwick in 2 weeks..I just bought a home there and I have the same questions you do..as per what is there to do with kids. I have a 12 and 4 year old and I wonder where are my boys gonna make friends besides school..I visited the park a few times and encountered the same no one there...I am coming from new york so it's a big adjustment for me...Please if you have already moved or have any information please send it to me..Thanks and good luck to you and your family...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 06:38 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
Where in Warwick?

Old 08-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Hello...Jackie..I am moving up to warwick in 2 weeks from the Bronx as-well...Can you tell me a little bit about Warwick...I have looked around to find things to do with the kids but I haven't been to successful...I found a drive in but my 4 year old doesn't care to much for that..What about supermarkets..I can't find a keyfood or pathmark...I am stressed..This will be a big adjustment i think...Please help..

Old 08-05-2007, 06:52 PM

Hello... I am moving to Warwick in 2 weeks.. I have wondered about this all along about where will my kids meet friends and as well as myself..Have you gotten use to living there yet? What is there to do? Do you like it though? I know that it has to be a better place to raise children though....Let me know.. I would love to hear from you...

Old 08-05-2007, 06:55 PM

Hi near the ski resort...

Old 08-05-2007, 07:41 PM

Mt. Peter? Well, the village isn't all that far, but otherwise there isn't much. I wouldn't let my kid ride a bike on 17a. The traffic is nasty and people drive fast on it. The side roads aren't bad though. The one place you might find some kids, besides Mt. Peter itself in winter, is in the Hillside development. Older kids with cars like to party around Cascade Road. Bellvale itself, as you likely know, has only a general store which is now a pizzeria/deli (still with post office) and two restaurants. It's pretty dull for kids in that area unless they have friends within safe bikiing distance.

In the village there's a skateboard park at Memorial Park. Stanley Demming Park, also in the village, is generally for younger kids but older ones will hang out at the basketball court there too. On weekends Demming usually has quite a few kids playing there.

If your sons are jocks, there are some after-school sporting activities such as wrestling, soccer, football, and baseball. Warwick also has a good swimming team, the Aqua Gems. There are also the usual round of private lessons in tennis, dressage, music, dance, and other arts and sports. I suggest looking at the Warwick Advertister Community Guide (http://www.strausnews.com/warwick_advertiser/ - broken link) weekly for potential activities. There are three scout troops near you. Two in Warwick, one in Greenwood Lake. YMMV on that.

Naturally, all of these require you or someone else to play taxi driver otherwise your kid's best friend in the neighborhood may be a an internet chatroom, the TV, his game console, or a tree.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if your kids plan to attend public school. Private school is more difficult as there tend to be animosities between the two groups and a potential pool of fewer friends. Once he figures out where he fits-in, he'll find friends and you'll be driving him all over. Be aware that many Warwick kids get cars when they turn 16 or 18; some of these cars are very expensive. There's definitely a nouveau riche element in Warwick so if your son starts begging for a BMW when he turns 16, don't be too shocked as some of his friends may be getting one for the same occasion. My mom didn't want to give me a car, but when all was said and done, between work and all the places I needed to go, it just ended-up being more practical (fyi, it was a used Dodge Aspen wagon. The most recalled car in history ).

If you have other questions or specifics, I'm happy to help you out. Welcome to Warwick!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi28 View Post
Hello...Jackie..I am moving up to warwick in 2 weeks from the Bronx as-well...Can you tell me a little bit about Warwick...I have looked around to find things to do with the kids but I haven't been to successful...I found a drive in but my 4 year old doesn't care to much for that..What about supermarkets..I can't find a keyfood or pathmark...I am stressed..This will be a big adjustment i think...Please help..
The drive-in is a lot of fun for teens. Too much fun perhaps . Check out the links I posted in my previous post. You should get some idea from those.

There is ONE supermarket in town, a shockingly-overpriced ShopRite that manages to be the butt of numerous complaints despite the prices. The town has tried to attract other supermarkets but ShopRite manages to keep them away. Hannaford's attempted to build across the street but then an endangered turtle miraculously appeared when ShopRite did their own environmental assessment. There is no supermarket in Florida or Goshen. Most people either travel to Middletown, Monroe, Chester, or Vernon for big trips and use ShopWrong, er ShopRite, for quick unplanned purchases. A very large number of people like to buy produce from the local farm stores. You won't find a Pathmark or Keyfood near here. Closest stores are Grand Union and A&P plus more ShopRites.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:44 PM

Hello again you just are to funny.. I am very grateful for the info.. My kids are 19, 12,and 4.... As for a BMW lol I guess he be riding that bike where ever he gotta go..As for my daughter she will be commuting on metro north..At 16 I couldn't ask for a gift for my birthday. I had to be grateful with whatever I got and it was pretty much a cake and 20 bucks if that lol...I have taught my kids that they must work hard for the things they want becuase mommy and daddy will provide for what they need....They don't need the BMW to get around they can get that 2001 mini van that serves the same purpose lol... Thank you so much really you have helped so much....

Old 08-05-2007, 09:05 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
The drive-in is a lot of fun for teens. Too much fun perhaps . Check out the links I posted in my previous post. You should get some idea from those.

There is ONE supermarket in town, a shockingly-overpriced ShopRite that manages to be the butt of numerous complaints despite the prices. The town has tried to attract other supermarkets but ShopRite manages to keep them away. Hannaford's attempted to build across the street but then an endangered turtle miraculously appeared when ShopRite did their own environmental assessment. There is no supermarket in Florida or Goshen. Most people either travel to Middletown, Monroe, Chester, or Vernon for big trips and use ShopWrong, er ShopRite, for quick unplanned purchases. A very large number of people like to buy produce from the local farm stores. You won't find a Pathmark or Keyfood near here. Closest stores are Grand Union and A&P plus more ShopRites.
Jason,

I couldn't give you any rep points, but I did just want to drop in and say absolutely awesome job on this thread.... you pretty much covered everything!

~Joey

Old 08-05-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks to happi and Joey for the kind comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York