Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:08 PM

71 posts, read 212,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Not for anything-you sound like a very angry person. Being raised in the area all my life-Beacon is much better than it was 25 years ago. If your poorly educated-some of it lies on the kids shoulders don't you think? Dutchess County has been for the last 15-20 years a bedroom community to people who work in Westchester/NYC. The majority who live in the county are middle-upper middle class. Yes, there are some areas where people are poor-but in a area with as much as this has to offer-it's more by choice not to get ahead. And for you to not know why Dutchess is spelled the way it is, shows that you've not learned your history about the area you live in. If you didn't know-why didn't you find out yourself? Also go read up on the history of the area to know why it was originally called "Fishkill Landing".

As to "crap parts in Fishkill", no not at all. I've lived in Fishkill for 44 years there my friend. While Dutchess park has more affordable housing-aka $215-300000 homes, you aren't exactly poor to live there now are you? Just because your not living in a $60000k home, doesn't mean it's ghetto. And there are drugs in every school here in Dutchess County-it's been moving up here for 30 years-just more since the larger influx from Westchester who have access to it and bring it up the Taconic/684 corridors.

The schools in Beacon have improved over the last 20 years. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, I'd have said why would anyone have gone there. Now there's a turn around. But it's as only as good as what the students take out of it-don't do your homework, study, yeah, it'll seem like a lousy place. Any school will. Beacon does have advantages over the bigger districts-lower school budgets, smaller sized classes, more course offerings, new high school and facilities. John Jay 2200, RCK 2000 and Arlington has 4000 plus in their high schools. They are small cities each day. Beacon's advantage is that their high school isn't at monstrous and or have as many house principals. As to specialized services for autism, all schools offer it to a degree. If they can't handle the spectrum, they'll be bussed to districts locally that have the capabilities to meet those IEP's. I know a few that go to Arlington for services as well as a few that go schools in CT or The Devereux school in Rhinebeck for services for autism. Help is there, someone has to be your advocate and get you the best services.
I can't make a full reply without my head pounding and getting myself banned, so I'll calmly as possible reply to this ridiculous neurotypical post.

Beacon is beacon, it does not have ANY services outside of it's school district, but read below, and Beacon IS racist don't kid me.

As for my post for Fishkill, I may have said what I wanted to say wrong. Fishkill is pricey and educated, "honey" I know that. What I said that towards was the COMMUNITY. Sorry if I misspoke.

Also, Fishkill Landing was, with Mattewan, one of the villages the formed Beacon. I'm not stupid, I wish to call that waste of land, IMO, a certain name. Fishkill may not be a waste, but current-day Beacon, to a great extend is as I will explain in opinion and fact below is.

I saw on the newspaper today someone from Beacon High School who lived in Fishkill died. The girl who was not responsible for his death, but her car was technically due the impact the guy slammed into the car at coming down the hill, not wearing a helmet thinking he's a big shot, and the Beacon community is tearing that poor, innocent girl through bullying through text, in person, every way they can. What sadists! Some people say that poor girl, a senior just days left of her High School years, will end her life because of the sheer disgustingness of the community at Beacon, and I'll be damned if someone is going to talk good about that city without mentioning the bad, and if I do say so myself, they're treated me just like that girl, only in a racist manor because I'm Autistic (several others suffering in the city can agree with me), and instead of wanted to know what's wrong with me, they treat my like a dog and enjoy it, and everyone who wants to raise kids in Beacon needs to know the drug problems there (Marijuana is huge, over 75% of kids ADMIT to using it), the community problems, and yes I know that city is a jewel waiting to be polished, but not yet, not yet, It has too much Marijuana tar that needs to be cleaned off with the dust. And if someone in that city is tortured enough to kill themselves, which I don't know how that hasn't happened yet, if it does happen, I will talk on this forum and warn people of the community of Beacon. I don't mean to outweigh the positives of Beacon with it's negatives, but it's an uneven balance, and it's not just such a great place to live. It has a LOT of problems. Also, I am SO tired of Poughkeepsie being stereotyped as "such a bad place to live" and Beacon being stereotyped as "such a GREAT place to live a raise kids, the schools are great." They are one both good and bad places to live, and I wan't no more bias, I'm just trying to spread the truth about the community at Beacon, and I'm sorry if I fail miserably and loose the respect of the forum. So "Honey", check not only the lowest in the county test scores but the parents with half brains that don't bother MOVING to Dutchess county if they don't move to Poughkeepsie for Arlington schools.

Warnings for those who want real information, I get this from families and friends and have seen the half of it in Wappingers first-hand as well:

Beacon City Schools is "working" on Autism support. Be warned and IEP is all you get from them. The community at Beacon has denied Autism donations for obvious Racist reasons and choose that same week to support breast cancer all of a sudden, and wear t-shirts that read "I love boobs" and hats the read the same. Truly disgusting, I've seen it with my own eyes and my apologies for not having pictures of these subhumans (subhumans possibly not being a stereotype if you read my post above) The kids are horrible towards people with disabilities.

Wappingers Central Schools aren't giving IEPs to numerous people(s). They have also denied Autistic kids admission to the Honors Society for obvious racist reasons. Like Beacon, the kids are horrible towards people with disabilities.

If you want to put your kids in at least Beacon Schools, which I have experienced first hand, be prepared for them to not have any friends, be miserable, and scream at the school and district until your head pounds for weeks. I went through it, others did, why wouldn't you? Please research Beacon schools first, I can't stress it enough.

Also, a quick note, it's funny when I've gone up to the Galleria and Poughkeepsie, City of itself I am treated like a human and decent, I bring my same attitude. That could be just me, but I always notice that.

I know I share too many opinions about Beacon, Fishkill, and Poughkeepsie, but I've said it again and again, people need to be aware about how bad the Beacon community really is. Does the City of Poughkeepsie community have lots of crime, drugs, problems, as do others places of it's caliber, and everywhere else to some extend: YES! But please, stop stereotyping places people, tell if it's your opinion, but don't ruin posts and my posts with your opinions you want to be made look fact so people can't get information.

I admit to the above may just be my opinion, and some may be fact.

SO finally I say this: Do not raise kids in Beacon if they are not born the Beacon way, please do your research and heed my warning.

Some problems with your description of BCSD / schools I would like to personally address:
"As to specialized services for autism, all schools offer it to a degree."
Wrong. Go down south is my argument. That's an understatement. The word "most" or "some", which I prefer, is the best word here.

"smaller sized classes"
The smallest class I've ever had exceeded 30 kids and didn't have less than 20. I guess big classes have 40-50 kids and really small classes have 10-15 kids to you. A classroom should seat 10-15 kids min and max. I've never seen that in Beacon.

"If you didn't know-why didn't you find out yourself?"
Because I have been, and am being tortured AND neglected by the community at Beacon. Socailly, bullied, you name it, makes me want someone down in the Bronx to jump me, beat me, handcuff me to a fence and urinate all over me. That would make me feel accepted and loved compared to how the community at Beacon has treated me. Get the picture yet? I think you do. At least I have my family which do love me. I hate those people so much I apologize if any of my posts reflect it too much.

Last edited by VanillaCoffee; 06-08-2010 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:48 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoffee View Post
I can't make a full reply without my head pounding and getting myself banned, so I'll calmly as possible reply to this ridiculous neurotypical post.

Beacon is beacon, it does not have ANY services outside of it's school district, but read below, and Beacon IS racist don't kid me.

As for my post for Fishkill, I may have said what I wanted to say wrong. Fishkill is pricey and educated, "honey" I know that. What I said that towards was the COMMUNITY. Sorry if I misspoke.

Also, Fishkill Landing was, with Mattewan, one of the villages the formed Beacon. I'm not stupid, I wish to call that waste of land, IMO, a certain name. Fishkill may not be a waste, but current-day Beacon, to a great extend is as I will explain in opinion and fact below is.

I saw on the newspaper today someone from Beacon High School who lived in Fishkill died. The girl who was not responsible for his death, but her car was technically due the impact the guy slammed into the car at coming down the hill, not wearing a helmet thinking he's a big shot, and the Beacon community is tearing that poor, innocent girl through bullying through text, in person, every way they can. What sadists! Some people say that poor girl, a senior just days left of her High School years, will end her life because of the sheer disgustingness of the community at Beacon, and I'll be damned if someone is going to talk good about that city without mentioning the bad, and if I do say so myself, they're treated me just like that girl, only in a racist manor because I'm Autistic (several others suffering in the city can agree with me), and instead of wanted to know what's wrong with me, they treat my like a dog and enjoy it, and everyone who wants to raise kids in Beacon needs to know the drug problems there (Marijuana is huge, over 75% of kids ADMIT to using it), the community problems, and yes I know that city is a jewel waiting to be polished, but not yet, not yet, It has too much Marijuana tar that needs to be cleaned off with the dust. And if someone in that city is tortured enough to kill themselves, which I don't know how that hasn't happened yet, if it does happen, I will talk on this forum and warn people of the community of Beacon. I don't mean to outweigh the positives of Beacon with it's negatives, but it's an uneven balance, and it's not just such a great place to live. It has a LOT of problems. Also, I am SO tired of Poughkeepsie being stereotyped as "such a bad place to live" and Beacon being stereotyped as "such a GREAT place to live a raise kids, the schools are great." They are one both good and bad places to live, and I wan't no more bias, I'm just trying to spread the truth about the community at Beacon, and I'm sorry if I fail miserably and loose the respect of the forum. So "Honey", check not only the lowest in the county test scores but the parents with half brains that don't bother MOVING to Dutchess county if they don't move to Poughkeepsie for Arlington schools.

Warnings for those who want real information, I get this from families and friends and have seen the half of it in Wappingers first-hand as well:

Beacon City Schools is "working" on Autism support. Be warned and IEP is all you get from them. The community at Beacon has denied Autism donations for obvious Racist reasons and choose that same week to support breast cancer all of a sudden, and wear t-shirts that read "I love boobs" and hats the read the same. Truly disgusting, I've seen it with my own eyes and my apologies for not having pictures of these subhumans (subhumans possibly not being a stereotype if you read my post above) The kids are horrible towards people with disabilities.

Wappingers Central Schools aren't giving IEPs to numerous people(s). They have also denied Autistic kids admission to the Honors Society for obvious racist reasons. Like Beacon, the kids are horrible towards people with disabilities.

If you want to put your kids in at least Beacon Schools, which I have experienced first hand, be prepared for them to not have any friends, be miserable, and scream at the school and district until your head pounds for weeks. I went through it, others did, why wouldn't you? Please research Beacon schools first, I can't stress it enough.

Also, a quick note, it's funny when I've gone up to the Galleria and Poughkeepsie, City of itself I am treated like a human and decent, I bring my same attitude. That could be just me, but I always notice that.

I know I share too many opinions about Beacon, Fishkill, and Poughkeepsie, but I've said it again and again, people need to be aware about how bad the Beacon community really is. Does the City of Poughkeepsie community have lots of crime, drugs, problems, as do others places of it's caliber, and everywhere else to some extend: YES! But please, stop stereotyping places people, tell if it's your opinion, but don't ruin posts and my posts with your opinions you want to be made look fact so people can't get information.

I admit to the above may just be my opinion, and some may be fact.

SO finally I say this: Do not raise kids in Beacon if they are not born the Beacon way, please do your research and heed my warning.

Some problems with your description of BCSD / schools I would like to personally address:
"As to specialized services for autism, all schools offer it to a degree."
Wrong. Go down south is my argument. That's an understatement. The word "most" or "some", which I prefer, is the best word here.

"smaller sized classes"
The smallest class I've ever had exceeded 30 kids and didn't have less than 20. I guess big classes have 40-50 kids and really small classes have 10-15 kids to you. A classroom should seat 10-15 kids min and max. I've never seen that in Beacon.

"If you didn't know-why didn't you find out yourself?"
Because I have been, and am being tortured AND neglected by the community at Beacon. Socailly, bullied, you name it, makes me want someone down in the Bronx to jump me, beat me, handcuff me to a fence and urinate all over me. That would make me feel accepted and loved compared to how the community at Beacon has treated me. Get the picture yet? I think you do. At least I have my family which do love me. I hate those people so much I apologize if any of my posts reflect it too much.

I have a feeling there's more to this than your actually letting on. I know for a FACT kids from Beacon are bused daily to Union Vale Middle School for they are autistic. I know because I ate breakfast with them in the mornings! NYS education department guarantees that your taken to the school that best services a child with special needs-it's why Arlington, Wappingers, Beacon all serve roughly 80 different schools per day with transporting kids to numerous schools with services! It's a FACT I drove a child to Litchfield CT daily ON a school bus for a private school for autistic children-all paid for BY the district that child lived in. As to class sizes-I grew up here and none of my classes ever had less than 30 kids-most were 35. I also had a class size of 686 when I graduated from high school-larger than most around here now. It's behavior in classrooms that cause the problems-not the size. I've seen that first hand.

Beacon has it's good and bad points-just like ANY town here in Dutchess County. As I've got friends with children in Beacon with Autism, I asked them about their experiences. And they've had nothing but good things to say-yes-there are naive people all over and ignorant. That's their problem-not yours. As to IEP's some parents won't classify their children-either they are in denial that their child does have a problem,don't want their kids to be labeled "different" or the child doesn't meet the criteria. I've dealt first hand with getting a child services for a IEP-so you can't tell me that it's not work-you have to be pushy to get what services you want for your child. That's the key in any district-be pushy, be the squeaky wheel. Being I've also worked in school districts here for 23 years, I've got a lot of insight too.

As to the girl who was involved in the accident-she was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's not her fault. Period. The kids in school are ignorant of the facts and should be ashamed of their behaviors. But being kids-they are thinking with emotions, not common sense. Hopefully this young lady will be going away for college next year and make real friends-not ones who've stabbed you in the back when you needed them most. But it's not limited to Beacon-Jay had a student 2 years ago-where a passenger was killed in the car-not wearing a seat belt. The driver had the same problems of the girl in your school of people berating him, name calling and threats. He's moved on out of here and away from those people. He has to live with it daily-so will this girl. It's her support system that will get her through this.

I'd never recommend anyone to move to either Newburgh or the City of Poughkeepsie. They are havens for gangs, drug dealers, thieves to boot. I'll lay the blame on landlords coming in from out of the area-renting to lowlifes and ruining our areas. If we drug tested everyone on welfare-we'd save millions for the ones that didn't pass that test and we'd not have the garbage in our neighborhoods. IMHO. That goes for a few areas in Beacon I know of too.

Let me tell your a story-back when my late Father moved to Beacon back in 51 from down south-he was asked if he was a member of the clan and if he was did he know where they met here in Dutchess. He told them he never was part of it(they assumed he was because he was from the South) and he'd never be part of it-period. The ones that use the racist card are usually more racist than anyone else. I've friends from all backgrounds-by the way-I am American Indian so I know all about discrimination and racist remarks. But I take the high road and ignore people who can't see beyond skin color, differences and such. Learn to do the same and you'll see that you'll attract a different set of people who accept you for who you are, not what your differences are.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
I have a feeling there's more to this than your actually letting on. I know for a FACT kids from Beacon are bused daily to Union Vale Middle School for they are autistic. I know because I ate breakfast with them in the mornings! NYS education department guarantees that your taken to the school that best services a child with special needs-it's why Arlington, Wappingers, Beacon all serve roughly 80 different schools per day with transporting kids to numerous schools with services! It's a FACT I drove a child to Litchfield CT daily ON a school bus for a private school for autistic children-all paid for BY the district that child lived in. As to class sizes-I grew up here and none of my classes ever had less than 30 kids-most were 35. I also had a class size of 686 when I graduated from high school-larger than most around here now. It's behavior in classrooms that cause the problems-not the size. I've seen that first hand.

Beacon has it's good and bad points-just like ANY town here in Dutchess County. As I've got friends with children in Beacon with Autism, I asked them about their experiences. And they've had nothing but good things to say-yes-there are naive people all over and ignorant. That's their problem-not yours. As to IEP's some parents won't classify their children-either they are in denial that their child does have a problem,don't want their kids to be labeled "different" or the child doesn't meet the criteria. I've dealt first hand with getting a child services for a IEP-so you can't tell me that it's not work-you have to be pushy to get what services you want for your child. That's the key in any district-be pushy, be the squeaky wheel. Being I've also worked in school districts here for 23 years, I've got a lot of insight too.

As to the girl who was involved in the accident-she was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's not her fault. Period. The kids in school are ignorant of the facts and should be ashamed of their behaviors. But being kids-they are thinking with emotions, not common sense. Hopefully this young lady will be going away for college next year and make real friends-not ones who've stabbed you in the back when you needed them most. But it's not limited to Beacon-Jay had a student 2 years ago-where a passenger was killed in the car-not wearing a seat belt. The driver had the same problems of the girl in your school of people berating him, name calling and threats. He's moved on out of here and away from those people. He has to live with it daily-so will this girl. It's her support system that will get her through this.

I'd never recommend anyone to move to either Newburgh or the City of Poughkeepsie. They are havens for gangs, drug dealers, thieves to boot. I'll lay the blame on landlords coming in from out of the area-renting to lowlifes and ruining our areas. If we drug tested everyone on welfare-we'd save millions for the ones that didn't pass that test and we'd not have the garbage in our neighborhoods. IMHO. That goes for a few areas in Beacon I know of too.

Let me tell your a story-back when my late Father moved to Beacon back in 51 from down south-he was asked if he was a member of the clan and if he was did he know where they met here in Dutchess. He told them he never was part of it(they assumed he was because he was from the South) and he'd never be part of it-period. The ones that use the racist card are usually more racist than anyone else. I've friends from all backgrounds-by the way-I am American Indian so I know all about discrimination and racist remarks. But I take the high road and ignore people who can't see beyond skin color, differences and such. Learn to do the same and you'll see that you'll attract a different set of people who accept you for who you are, not what your differences are.
Stop, stop stop stop. I'm ending this dispute here.

Your post is way off tune with reality. Autistic kids from Beacon go to Beacon High School unless they are too severe.

I just walked with the Autistic and ADL kids today I associate with. We're not really friends, but we talk about how we all hate Beacon, and we are working hard to move out of it. We make fun of the drugadicts that live here, but we know there's more good to the city, but we all live in a situation where the bad outweighs the good. Not a single one of us has many positive things to say about Beacon, or it's schools. We're tired of it we long to move out, so I'm glad I have them to talk to.

"I'd never recommend anyone to move to either Newburgh or the City of Poughkeepsie."
The Town of Newburgh can be an absolutely decent and nice place to live. Even some areas of the City of Newburugh, so saying Newburgh as a whole shows your true colors. Do I know the City of Newburgh is a complete and utter donut-syndrome, gang infested mess. Golly gee yes. Anyways. Oh my god, poor Poughkeepsie! I feel so bad it gets criticized so much! If it wasn't a piece a land I'd hug the poor thing. You neglectful people. Yes, the City of Poughkeepsie isn't a good place to live as a whole at all, but it has good areas. And the Town of Poughkeepsie, I'm glad you didn't touch on that, that Town as a whole is spotless, it has a couple areas near the City of Poughkeepsie, namely for drugs, but the Town as a whole is the place I'd live in if I had to stay in Dutchess, but I'm not, LOL not over my dead body. That or probably East Fishkill or Hopewell Junction, I like those area. Sorry for rambling, but anyways.

"NYS education department guarantees that your taken to the school that best services a child with special needs"
Pardon my french, but New York State, you ****ed me dry!, your goddamn liberal-run mess of government has ****ed me and my life. Thousands other too!

"It's behavior in classrooms that cause the problems-not the size. I've seen that first hand."
Autistic people(s) function better with a smaller amount of kids. Namely my 10-15 I mentioned. Therefore, a big, well-behaved class is useless, but your point is accurate.

"Beacon has it's good and bad points-just like ANY town here in Dutchess County."
Funny how you said this before you degraded poor Poughkeepsie.

"you have to be pushy to get what services you want for your child. That's the key in any district-be pushy, be the squeaky wheel."
That's America's problem. America also has horrible schools compared to the rest of the world, I'm embarrased to be an American as it is. I'm Italian, and I wish I was born in Lo Stivale. You have to give your self a heart-attack to get what you want. In any other developed country with services, I doubt you'd have to do more than request what you want then be a squeaky wheel too, but not start to decapitate and fall off the wagon.

I know for a FACT kids from Beacon are bused daily to Union Vale Middle School for they are autistic.

I am Autistic. I am NEVER went to Union Vale Middle school or was even offered. Was I just pissed upon? Possibly. May not.

Anyways, this is the end of this destitute on forums. For the good of both our forum reputations, please take this to PM from now on.

"Learn to do the same and you'll see that you'll attract a different set of people who accept you for who you are, not what your differences are."
Had to add this in. I have, all my life, and the community at Beacon has sadistically neglected me. Just like kids in Wappingers, and around Dutchess. It's not in Orange County as whole for example. That I've seen first hand in Newburgh Enlarged City Schools. Why is it here? Dutchess is racist, and I am not racist for saying such a thing.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:59 PM

14 posts, read 122,651 times
My take on Beacon, NY

Old 07-05-2010, 09:44 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasiia View Post
Your right, this is a post from a young 23 year old. Most people may move to beacon because of work and the terrific train into the city...but once that family starts...I have yet to meet someone and say

"I moved to beacon because of the great schools, low crime rate, beautiful homes (yes there are small handful of new mcmansions..that have beacon as there school, but most send there kids to private schools), low drug/gang rate, and the abudance of shopping."

Most who will choose to stay in dutchess or the otherside of the river, head quickly a couple of miles north to arlington/spackenkill/ and the "better" wappingers districts in the areas of east fishkill and hopewell junction.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Your right, this is a post from a young 23 year old. Most people may move to beacon because of work and the terrific train into the city...but once that family starts...I have yet to meet someone and say

"I moved to beacon because of the great schools, low crime rate, beautiful homes (yes there are small handful of new mcmansions..that have beacon as there school, but most send there kids to private schools), low drug/gang rate, and the abudance of shopping."

Most who will choose to stay in dutchess or the otherside of the river, head quickly a couple of miles north to arlington/spackenkill/ and the "better" wappingers districts in the areas of east fishkill and hopewell junction.
Correct, and I noted how her post was WAY WAY WAY too positive. It captured everything possibly good about the city. Once people snap into reality, Beacon's just a wasteland if you want to raise a wholesome family. Here's the not positive reality (once you put all those 'wonderful' positives aside): The crime isn't low, the schools, which I experience(d), are a complete nightmare and not fair to put a human being through. They just suck, PERIOD. Kids are trying not to kill themselves, that's Beacon's wonderful community, okay? I've meet like 2-3 of those people, I can only feel bad they have to live like that. Beacon itself has the LOWEST education level in Dutchess and is on the top list for both the Hudson Valley and Southern NY under LOW EDUCATION LEVEL. It's a jewel that simply fails to be polished, and I think it's too late. The crime was cleaned, what they could do was done, but now it's slowly getting back up, and guess what, this time, Beacon's crime rate ain't goin' down folks, it's done, Beacon's had it glory days. Beacon's dinky little shops are going to go out of business in this economy because Beacon is a ghost town, go down it on Sunday night past, what, 4-5 PM? Sunday night 9PM and tell me that's not DEAD. Potheads and other drug-addicts lurk threating each other with pistols, jumping each other, and pulling guns at night. Sorry to scare you, but that's reality in Beacon. If a village like Fishkill with 8% as many people has 8 TIMES more a potential "nightlife", Beacon is seriously in doubt. I'm sorry, but Beacon has NO nightlife btw. Nightlife in Beacon is a bunch of uneducated catholic delinquents smoking pot. I'm sorry to break to truth to you, but Poughkeepsie and Beacon aren't cities anymore, they're gritty factory town's gone in reverse, but the thing is, Poughkeepsie still has good and life to it ready to be explored, which Dutchess seems to lazy to do so, and I think it's just going to let Poughkeepsie become a CERTIFIED Newburgh, which wouldn't surprise me, Beacon needs some pot and drug tar wiped off before it's jewel self can be dusted. It has a BIG drug problem. Pot is huge. They named it Tree City, that's not just a fact, that's my conclusion...

Old 07-18-2010, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 14,458 times
I have lived in Beacon for 42 years. I came from New Rochelle and the Bronx. I raised 3 children here. It has been safe and friendly. 2 out of 3 of my grown kids have chosen to continue to live here with their families. The mountain in our backyard is gorgeous in every season. It was a source of fun for the family. It is close enough to NYC to go in for shows and restaurants. The waterfront of the Hudson is beautiful and enjoyable on warm days.
My children were educated in the schools here with smaller classes and teachers that knew and cared for them. We still the 3rd grade teacher in church and she asks how they are. The neighborhood we live in was friendly and the children had playmates next door and down the street..no commuting for playdates! Those who have run the city actually know the people and listen to their comments. This has been a good place to live!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM

18 posts, read 74,040 times
I would advise anyone who is looking to move to a new town to go there for an afternoon. I was considering Ossining and Peekskill (when I saw them online), but I changed my mind once I got there. All the forums said they are great places, and I am sure they are, but I knew the "feeling" wasn't for me. Everyone is different. It's hard for a stranger to know what is best for you. I like Beacon because when I go to the yoga studio in town, I feel like the people around me are good people, and into the things I am: close to city access, pretty scenery, similar interests, etc. It is incredibly more affordable than Westchester. The people are down-to-earth.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgari View Post
I would advise anyone who is looking to move to a new town to go there for an afternoon. I was considering Ossining and Peekskill (when I saw them online), but I changed my mind once I got there. All the forums said they are great places, and I am sure they are, but I knew the "feeling" wasn't for me. Everyone is different. It's hard for a stranger to know what is best for you. I like Beacon because when I go to the yoga studio in town, I feel like the people around me are good people, and into the things I am: close to city access, pretty scenery, similar interests, etc. It is incredibly more affordable than Westchester. The people are down-to-earth.
Good for you, I'm a Westchester person, but as you said it's hard to afford Westchester. I like Ossining! Much better than Tarrytown :P, okay let's not go there, but yeah, so instead of going to Dutchess, being that I lived in this dump my whole life, I said, hmm what's on the OTHER side of the river, ohhh ORANGE! And I was like, hmm, this is nice, so I said, hmm If I'm going to stay in the Hudson Valley, I'll go with Orange and the towns I'm interested in said county. People are nicer over there too than in Dutchess and less pot (Marijuana) problems, but that's just me and my opinions and observations.

When you rule out the Burg and even bad parts of Middletown, Orange is a bit safer than Dutchess too, again just my opinion

Old 08-02-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask1 View Post
I have lived in Beacon for 42 years. I came from New Rochelle and the Bronx. I raised 3 children here. It has been safe and friendly. 2 out of 3 of my grown kids have chosen to continue to live here with their families. The mountain in our backyard is gorgeous in every season. It was a source of fun for the family. It is close enough to NYC to go in for shows and restaurants. The waterfront of the Hudson is beautiful and enjoyable on warm days.
My children were educated in the schools here with smaller classes and teachers that knew and cared for them. We still the 3rd grade teacher in church and she asks how they are. The neighborhood we live in was friendly and the children had playmates next door and down the street..no commuting for playdates! Those who have run the city actually know the people and listen to their comments. This has been a good place to live!
Those who run the city now are the most corrupt bigoted idiots I've ever seen in my life. Locals eaisly signed a petition against the closing of Fire Engine One because the mayor's worse than Patterson in money-saving decisions. Beacon is done for, kiss it goodbye, the art groups are turning ghettoish buildings into "beacons" of idiotic and stupid "retro" art instead of doing something with the buildings. Beacon is attracting more ghetto welfare-dwelling section 8 'Ricans every day, kiss it goodbye, you conservatives failed yet another city. Beacon will worse Newburgh in under 50 years, I don't threaten that, I promise it. And if Poughkeepsie wakes up and takes advantage of itself, it will be a revitalizing city because it HAS a downtown and potential, and I really hope Dutchess let Poughkeepsie go, and Poughkeepsie will once again laugh at Beacon, but lazy Dutchess can't even keep up with it's own ROADS, so I say that's a pipe dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York