Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 PM

190 posts, read 814,093 times

Advertisements

I lived in Newburgh from 94-95 for my junior year of high school. That experienced left me changed. On one hand I became increasingly intolerant but on the other hand my mind was opened to new music, the beauty of the Hudson, and I read a lot.
I lived on Grand Street, near the Hudson, a couple of blocks from the cemetery and library, and down the hill from that college (Mt. St. Mary's or something).
Anyway, I remember that I never, ever wanted to go back to Newburgh. NFA was full of pregnant teens, racially motivated fights at least once a week, me getting harassed by security because I had the audacity to hang out with a white kid during recess (they assumed I was selling him drugs). There were a lot of burned out buildings. Packs of stray dogs preying on me while I waited for the school bus. Despite all the crap, it was a very beautiful place and there were some very nice people there. I remember grabbing something to eat for lunch over at Craccolicci's. The view of the Hudson from the library. I'm wondering, how is Newburgh now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:37 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,529 times
Hasn't changed since you left. Problems are getting worse, not better. Recently since the start of the year, a 13 year old murdered another 17 year old teen. A convenience clerk was shot in the arm. A 4 year old boy has been missing since December-they've yet to charge the person who was watching him. Seems to me a life long HV resident, that the dregs of NYC moved up here and have set up shop. I had to go do a business down by South Street. I was completely shocked at how poorly the whole neighborhood now looks. Garbage on the roads, houses that don't look kept. It's so sad. Back when I was a kid-no one every worried about going down Broadway at night to go shopping-there was a Sears there we went too. Everyone took care of their homes with pride. There's no pride now from what I can see. Just vagrants who cause trouble because they can. I avoid going there at all if I can. People seem not to want to better it-because it keeps happening. My biggest pet peeve is that too many over there are on Section 8 and the landlords don't do a background check to see who or what is moving in. That was the biggest mistake that the city ever did was letting housing convert to that. Not everyone who is section 8 is a bad egg-but the ones that are-give everyone else a bad name. Liberty St just below the college is a prime example of the garbage that goes on over there. The college kids are warned to stay away from that street. I had to get my child there one night-some questionable people were cutting through the campus-security had to chase them out. It's a shame-Newburgh used to considered a jewel on the Hudson-you can't say that anymore.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:04 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Hasn't changed since you left. Problems are getting worse, not better. Recently since the start of the year, a 13 year old murdered another 17 year old teen. A convenience clerk was shot in the arm. A 4 year old boy has been missing since December-they've yet to charge the person who was watching him. Seems to me a life long HV resident, that the dregs of NYC moved up here and have set up shop. I had to go do a business down by South Street. I was completely shocked at how poorly the whole neighborhood now looks. Garbage on the roads, houses that don't look kept. It's so sad. Back when I was a kid-no one every worried about going down Broadway at night to go shopping-there was a Sears there we went too. Everyone took care of their homes with pride. There's no pride now from what I can see. Just vagrants who cause trouble because they can. I avoid going there at all if I can. People seem not to want to better it-because it keeps happening. My biggest pet peeve is that too many over there are on Section 8 and the landlords don't do a background check to see who or what is moving in. That was the biggest mistake that the city ever did was letting housing convert to that. Not everyone who is section 8 is a bad egg-but the ones that are-give everyone else a bad name. Liberty St just below the college is a prime example of the garbage that goes on over there. The college kids are warned to stay away from that street. I had to get my child there one night-some questionable people were cutting through the campus-security had to chase them out. It's a shame-Newburgh used to considered a jewel on the Hudson-you can't say that anymore.
don't forget the high number of sex offenders living in the city of newburgh. as for the town of newbugh, I would consider moving there if we weren't planning on moving to the sout west.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 PM

47 posts, read 100,166 times
what about the town ??? is it really worth it?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRoldan70 View Post
what about the town ??? is it really worth it?
the town is much bigger than the city, and there are some really nice area's in the town. You also have the convenience of all the shopping stores on rt. 300 & on 17k in the target plaza.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 PM

47 posts, read 100,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
the town is much bigger than the city, and there are some really nice area's in the town. You also have the convenience of all the shopping stores on rt. 300 & on 17k in the target plaza.
how are the schools? i have a 10th grader and one in kindergarten and there schools are excellent here in the bronx .. how are they in newburgh? i heard the arlington schools were better ...

Old 02-07-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRoldan70 View Post
how are the schools? i have a 10th grader and one in kindergarten and there schools are excellent here in the bronx .. how are they in newburgh? i heard the arlington schools were better ...
Depending where you live in the Town of Newburgh, your child would either go to Valley Central or NFA if I'm not mistaken.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:44 PM

162 posts, read 601,952 times
No wonder that apartment on Carpenter Avenue near North Plank Road was so cheap, I guess even that area of Newburgh has went down since my last visit. It's a shame as the city provides a beautiful view of Beacon across the river and could become a great place to live if more people started to take some pride in it. Perhaps Newburgh's mayor should shift all of his efforts from holding the 9/11 trial in the city to lowering crime in the city and improving the quality of life for the many residents that work hard and actually take pride in the city?

Old 04-21-2010, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,211 times
The city of Newburgh is like a formerly healthy animal that is close to death due to a parasite infestation. The parasites in question are people who are basically marooned in a city without the manufacturing jobs that have always sustained smaller urban communities. Uncle Sam seems to the only dependable man in the lives of these mostly single mom households, whether the source of support is welfare, Section 8, food stamps, and Medicaid. Worse, the property owners in the city (like me) pay twice the school tax compared to the Town of Newburgh, all to support a rotten school system that can be better described as a child care center for future criminals. However, the worst of all of it is the abandonment of properties by Section 8 landlords due to the non-enforcement of HUD laws regarding the upkeep of these buildings. As for the drugs, it is an open secret that the police ignore most of the transactions due to the perceived and actual danger of interfering. Here's my solution: flood the Mayor's office with demands to remedy the Section 8 problem and copy in the Section 8 HUD administration; limit all forms of welfare assistance (subsidized housing, foodstamps, etc.) to five years for non-seniors and match every head of household to a job training program with mandatory participation; oblige Albany to squeeze out as many hardcore parasites as possible and settle them elsewhere. Newburgh is a small city with a rich history and amazing historic district badly in need of renovation and upkeep. With two nearby golf courses and recreational activities nearby, this should be a great destination for retirees and creative people. However, until the government is prodded by its working class to reduce the dead weight and bring more tax revenue into the city, Newburgh will remain a promise wasted.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 PM

Newburgh seems like a dumping ground for human waste, recently released from fishkill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York