Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:55 PM

306 posts, read 1,620,526 times

Advertisements

Hi, RNG.

Before you value my opinion too much, you should know that I just spilled my coffee on my desk for the 2nd time in an hour.

Well, we ARE moving back to NY state ASAP. Just gotta build more equity in our current house and get my career-change really moving. (Going from long-time college teacher to a 1st grade teacher, if you can believe that. NY state doesn't make it easy, though.) But we're determined. Partly 'cause we dislike like where we are in Virginia (though big parts of Virginia we much love--we're just not in any of those parts now). But mostly 'cause of what NY state has to offer. Even more than nostalgia and dreaming to cope with present pressures, that's why I read this forum so avidly. I'm looking for sage advice, too!

Our searching and weighing aren't done, but if we had to move tomorrow, these would be our choices, roughly in order:

Cooperstown, Skaneateles, Hammondsport, Hamilton, Clinton, Canandaigua, Naples, Homer, Aurora, & Cherry Valley.

Some of these are pretty pricey, as you say, but we're really drawn to them. Other posters could address this with more certainty, but offhand I'd say that Hammondsport, Naples, Homer, and Cherry Valley are the more affordable on this list.

While living in-town is our first choice, we're also considering living just outside or between preferred towns. It is amazing what great old places you can get for good prices just outside even pricey towns, and our kids would be as happy with a pony as they would be a block from an ice cream shop. Probably happier.

Two small places I really like but my wife, who likes bigger places, balks at: Angelica over in Allegany County and Gilbertsville in Otsego County. I liked Earlville, too. And Trumansburg, outside of Ithaca. She agrees that great places, both natural ones and towns/small cities, seem very close-by just about every small town I've really liked. After our years within a drunken prison of 14,000 college students within the darkbasement of Appalachia, we wouldn't feel isolated in such small towns. But she prefers larger places more than I do.

Remember, though, that as you said, the area is vast, and the choices almost overwhelming. Every time we've been up there zeroing in on this place or that, we've seen great houses in great towns that we thought we would just be passing through, but then had to add to our "Maybe" list. We haven't even been to half the places we want to check out before we make a final decision--places such as Cazenovia, Oneida, Canastota, etc., and the towns closer to Rochester & Syracuse that would fit our criteria. (We haven't been to Saratoga Springs, either.) We've thus far set aside whole regions--closer to Lake Ontario, in between Buffalo & Rochester, north of Syracuse--that we really should consider & explore. And, of course, it all depends on what you're looking for, and how well it truly fits you.

But we are leaning most heavily toward Cooperstown, and have been for some time.

I hope you post your perceptions of things once you get a chance to explore around up there! And best of luck in your own searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 08:19 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,786 times
Not to be a damper guys, we relocated a year ago to Delaware County and we LOVE IT, but I see several towns on both your lits that are on the "hit list" for Wind turbine development. Please, for your own sanity and investment, check carefully before you decide where to move and before you make an offer on a home. The development of turbines WILL affect home values and property taxes. Weather you are for or against this industrial development, remember knowledge is power and I want you both to know everything that effect your decision. So many of us were blindsided by this issue and I want to help people in the future so the same thing does not happen to them.

Also, I went to School in Saratoga Springs, it is a beautiful place with lots to offer. FGreat homes, great culture, beautiful downtown, and the economy is supported both by the College and by the Tourist/racing in the summer. YOu should check it out!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:24 PM

306 posts, read 1,620,526 times
Thanks, JustSayNo, will do.

Which are the towns on my list that are possible wind turbine sites?

Thanks.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:58 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,786 times
Hey Homeward, check this link out, which is a list os potential/targeted towns in NY

http://www.savewesternny.org/proposed.html

To save you time, on the list that is on your list is Hamilton, Cherry Valley, Clinton, Canandaigua.

Check out the link, please, as you must remember it is not ONLY the specific town that is important but the neighboring towns as well. I am less than 1,000 feet from the town line, and if the neighboring town passes the turbines and my town does not, well.........I still get turbines as neighbors (the targeted ridge behind my house is where the town line runs) So, really distance is everything, so be aware of not only your town but surrounding towns.

Hope this helps. Also there may be other towns that are targeted that are not on the list. The best thing to do is ask point-blank the RE Agent, and I would call Town Hall as well to ask if there are turbine projects in the future.

Also, big lessen we learned, even if officials say no turbines projected, look carefully at ZONING LAWS in the town, many small towns don't have any zoning-which makes industrial development easy to push through. If your town has a comprehensive plan, don't count on it. Our town has a very thorough comp. plan (which was part of our decision as the conp. plan outlines the feel and future of the town) BUT, the plan does not specifically discuss turbines so the plan is being ignored by the town officials.

If you want more tips and tricks, and lessens I have learned the hard way, ask away-I'll tell you all I know

Old 01-28-2007, 08:58 PM
RNG RNG started this thread

31 posts, read 129,994 times
Thank you Homeward Bound and Justsayno for your comments and thoughts. I am grateful for all of the information I have received on this forum. It will help me narrow my search when I am finally able to visit this summer, which I am very excited about. Thanks again!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,558 times
I Live In Corning Ask What You Want

Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,461 times
Default Corning is great

I read your inquiry, and though you posted it almost a year ago, if you are still looking at moving here I will put forth some information.
Currently I teach in the district, and math teachers are always needed. At the very least if a job is not found right away there are several districts within a 30 mile radius. I have no doubt he could find a position.
Corning offers so many things to do from cultural to art, athletics and clubs, to restaurants and activities.
A short drive to Seneca, Keuka, and Cayuga lakes offer shopping, wineries, and many summer acivities.
Market street is always adding new places and recently has opened The Palace Theatre, Thali of India and many little shops.
you can check it at...
www.gafferdistrict.com

Tourism brings many festivals and events in the late spring to the early fall. Famous for Jazz and art festivals.

A large mall 15 minutes away and several shopping complexes offer many stores, including a few pet stores that sell high end animal products; including food!

There is a store located on Market as well. Wegmans is a wonderful store, and will soon be adding on with several new departments!

Corning is affordable, and currently the real estate is at a low making housing a great find!

hope this helps!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:54 PM
RNG RNG started this thread

31 posts, read 129,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownmindy View Post
I read your inquiry, and though you posted it almost a year ago, if you are still looking at moving here I will put forth some information.
Currently I teach in the district, and math teachers are always needed. At the very least if a job is not found right away there are several districts within a 30 mile radius. I have no doubt he could find a position.
Corning offers so many things to do from cultural to art, athletics and clubs, to restaurants and activities.
A short drive to Seneca, Keuka, and Cayuga lakes offer shopping, wineries, and many summer acivities.
Market street is always adding new places and recently has opened The Palace Theatre, Thali of India and many little shops.
you can check it at...
Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food

Tourism brings many festivals and events in the late spring to the early fall. Famous for Jazz and art festivals.

A large mall 15 minutes away and several shopping complexes offer many stores, including a few pet stores that sell high end animal products; including food!

There is a store located on Market as well. Wegmans is a wonderful store, and will soon be adding on with several new departments!

Corning is affordable, and currently the real estate is at a low making housing a great find!

hope this helps!

Thanks for the info! I haven't checked the forum in a while and it was nice to get some more info. I am still interested, but my mom's mental health has deteriorated (Alzheimers) and I am trying to place her locally in a nursing home. I am not going to be able to relocate as soon as I would like but NY and Corning are still areas I am interested in visiting and learning more about. Thanks again!!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:34 PM

9 posts, read 52,564 times
I saw the date of your last post so I wanted to also encourage you to the city of Corning! I live in near-by Watkins Glen, but have spent ALOT of time in Corning, was married at an AMAZING church I was going to there and have many friends there. If I would live anywhere else in NY state, Corning would be on the top of my list. Unfortunately my husband and I are sick of NY state and want to take our new son somewhere further into new england or out west in the next few years so we're not going to bother leaving WG till then. I am SO sorry about your mom!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,211 times
Just wanted to piggy-back on this thread. I have just accepted a position in Corning and we will be looking to rent initially - we have a 6 year old and two well behaved dogs (everyone says that :-) we can supply references).

Any leads would be appreciated

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York