Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:34 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
Well, I'm from NY and I currently live in SC. I HATE IT. If I could remove the cold, bitter winter from NY I'd move home in a snap. With my neurological pain and asthma issues brought on by the cold, unfortunately, that won't be happening.

• The food prices are very high here. Produce prices are outrageous, and some things you are accustomed to finding easily, you can't even find. Thats ONLY if you dont know how to shop.
  • The local governments are very corrupt. This includes the police, who get arrested daily here for all kinds of things including public nudity; the mayors who get multiple arrests for DUI, etc.Every day? I do believe you're exaggerating.
  • The schools are horrid. You won't see education anywhere close to what you're used to if you live in the Hudson Valley. (can't speak for anywhere else in NY, I don't know anything about the education there)Yet they still manage to produce people capable of going to college. I know several people that graduated from my high school to go on to Ivy League schools.
  • , Race is definitely an issue, unfortunately.If it is, I have yet to witness it minus a couple of morons here and there...but morons are everywhere.
  • There is absolutely no culture here. No decent museums, no true ethnic areas, etc. Because you're in stinkin Myrtle Beach...not exactly known for things of the higher-class variety.
  • Where I am in SC (Myrtle Beach area) there is nothing to do outside of toursity stuff. And golf. Again, youre in MYRTLE BEACH! What do you expect in an area that depends so heavily on tourism? Where it is swamped with tourists every year and the population deflates heavily in the off-season? Did you not do your research BEFORE moving here?
  • Bugs/mosquitos the size of mini airplanes. NY cockroaches have nothing on the ones down here (I never even saw a cockroach til I moved here!!). They have their own names. Palmetto bugs. Another DUH. Google is a lovely thing before moving somewhere...
  • 3 summers ago we hit 115. Was brutal!! Someone I worked with died due to heat exhaustion that week.
I could go on, but I want to watch the last 5 mins of the Olympic hockey game
I'll never understand why someone would move to a place without researching the crap out of it first, then biotch about what it lacks.

The one thing I can agree on is I hate summer...I dont like roasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 12,081 times
I live in the NC triangle and often think of moving back to Westchester (NY) since I miss my smaller town, church, smaller school system, individual towns, some family and friends and some of the NY weather events. The weather here is beautiful but always the same. The school system here is huge and the neighborhoods although nice are lacking individuality.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:25 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardening331 View Post
I live in the NC triangle and often think of moving back to Westchester (NY) since I miss my smaller town, church, smaller school system, individual towns, some family and friends and some of the NY weather events. The weather here is beautiful but always the same. The school system here is huge and the neighborhoods although nice are lacking individuality.
Lets trade places.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:19 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
Default True !! Sooo True !!

[quote][quote=pburgess68;13088367]Well, I'm from NY and I currently live in SC. I HATE IT. If I could remove the cold, bitter winter from NY I'd move home in a snap. With my neurological pain and asthma issues brought on by the cold, unfortunately, that won't be happening.

[list][*]The food prices are very high here. Produce prices are outrageous, and some things you are accustomed to finding easily, you can't even find.
[*]The local governments are very corrupt. This includes the police, who get arrested daily here for all kinds of things including public nudity; the mayors who get multiple arrests for DUI, etc.
[*]The schools are horrid. You won't see education anywhere close to what you're used to if you live in the Hudson Valley. (can't speak for anywhere else in NY, I don't know anything about the education there)
[*]Race is definitely an issue, unfortunately.

Quote:yhwhshalomjr
ROFLOL!! BECAUSE WHAT YOU ARE STATING IS SOO RIGHT ON>>DETAIL BY DETAIL... I AM SICK OF IT HERE!!!! NOTHING TO DO BUT EAT AND GOSSIP (WHICH I CHOOSE TO STAY AWAY FROM) AND GO TO CHURCH!! NO wonder obesity is prevalent here..BUFFETS BUFFETS AND SITTING AROUND..IF YOU ARE EVER DISABLED FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME !! fORGET ABOUT IT HERE..
i BROKE MY FOOT AND AKMOST HAD HELL TO PAY..NO GOING ACROSS THE STREET OR SHORT ORDER AND DELIVERY!! iNLES OF COURSE IT WAS PIZZA
HUT....LOL......CULTURE...PHEWY!!...i'LL cUT my losses and high tail it out of here while I still have my health,,,,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-13-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I thought about that and the only other area I mentioned that might have some is the Auburn-Opelika area. I only know that is because a lot of Black folks from the Syracuse area have roots in that area and some have moved back there and it is growing.
That's going to be practically most places you go nowadays especially since there is more bi-racial marriages and relations..so get used to it!!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:38 PM

Default Goggle til' the cows come home

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I'll never understand why someone would move to a place without researching the crap out of it first, then biotch about what it lacks.

The one thing I can agree on is I hate summer...I dont like roasting.
From my experience in the military and living in just about every CONUS state
possible!! You can google, until the cows come home research all you want..but until you live in a place you only see the surface...... same goes for New York how people have said to me it's dirty and a lot of trash.. only because they have not been to all areas.. There is a lot left to be desired to
things to do culturally..period....The OP is pretty acurate IMO!! It Sucks It IS WHAT IT IS!!....

Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 AM

93,377 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
That's going to be practically most places you go nowadays especially since there is more bi-racial marriages and relations..so get used to it!!
What does this have to do with the statement I made?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 12,739 times
Cause the south sucks to hot rednecks diffrent culture ignorant people no good food you feel like ypu are inthe middle of nowhere
i could keep going on STAY UP NORTH

Old 06-17-2010, 02:43 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
In 1983 as a young man I moved to Jacksonville Florida for work. I found cultural shock from the southerness, from the small city aspect, from the sprawl. Also being relatively far from friends and family (though I had some relations in South Florida I visited) Being Jewish (and single) in a town with a small Jewish community did not help.

In fairness had I been in a larger more cosmopolitan southern city like Atlanta, I might have felt differently. Also, I found almost as much culture shock when I encountered other northern transplants - those who had not moved for jobs had often moved for the climate and beaches, and i felt little in common with them - among the native southerners I was more likely to find people with intellectual interests.

I moved to Baltimore after three years, and was very happy.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:34 PM

75 posts, read 170,399 times
I recently moved from the capital region back to the Adirondacks, before that we lived in a wonderful area of Colorado for 10 years. I never thought I could love NY again after Colorado but I must admit I love being back! It is beautiful here! There are so many cool places to visit within a 6 hour drive. I love that there is history and old architecture in the Northeast. Snow may be a pain but it is beautiful, I'll trade cold winters for humid hot miserable summers down South any day. Beautiful falls, no hurricanes... yeah New York can be pricey and politics are outta whack but at least our real estate markets aren't completely in the toilet. Many areas of NY are actually in a growth phase. I can see why people move back, I'm glad I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York