Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 06:28 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,787,877 times

Advertisements

College is a scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,706,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
College is a scam.
I disagree but that's a matter for the Education forum

Old 07-23-2011, 08:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,196,850 times
I didn't read all the posts - but I just wanted to share my experiences. My freshman year - I was miserable. I had a few friends - one of my roommates and I got along really well and I got along well with the people on my hall. Actually, the girl across the hall from me became my best friend - but I didn't know her all that well freshman year. I was so homesick - I missed my family, my friends, my boyfriend. It was really hard for me. I also had an eating disorder - so people didn't really enjoy my company that much. I can understand why - it's really annoying to be around someone who can only talk about how fat they feel! But after my freshman year, things really started to improve. I started to feel more comfortable in my own skin and I started making more friends. By the time I graduated - I was having a ball!

I think lots of people hate their freshman year. It's a hard adjustment to make sometimes. Just hang in there!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:13 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,706,032 times
Thanks dewdrop

I'm moving in to a house with some other undergrads and a few grad students. Should be somewhat fun.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:20 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,285,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm entering my second year in college and I have not made a single good friend. Maybe one solid one and that's it. I am not an unpleasant person in real life, at least I don't think I am. I've explained this plenty of times on here actually.

Did anyone else have similar trouble? These... charlatans in high school all promised me that college would be, socially, a hundred times better than high school. No greater lie has ever been told if you ask me. I enjoy the courses I take and I enjoy the sense of freedom but otherwise it's been pretty similar to high school in terms of social life for me. Maybe it's because I commuted last year (I am moving on campus next semester) but there are plenty of commuter students who don't have ****-all for a social life.

Would just be nice to know I'm not the only one and how, if you didn't make many or any friends, how you coped with it.
I had tons of friends in high school but did a 180 in college and focused on my studies. I really didn't have much interest or time. Thinking back, I might not have a been a fit, socially, at the colleges in my area.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:49 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,983,629 times
I hated college. Horrible experiences. I regret every semester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm entering my second year in college and I have not made a single good friend. Maybe one solid one and that's it. I am not an unpleasant person in real life, at least I don't think I am. I've explained this plenty of times on here actually.

Did anyone else have similar trouble? These... charlatans in high school all promised me that college would be, socially, a hundred times better than high school. No greater lie has ever been told if you ask me. I enjoy the courses I take and I enjoy the sense of freedom but otherwise it's been pretty similar to high school in terms of social life for me. Maybe it's because I commuted last year (I am moving on campus next semester) but there are plenty of commuter students who don't have ****-all for a social life.

Would just be nice to know I'm not the only one and how, if you didn't make many or any friends, how you coped with it.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:39 PM

133 posts, read 331,127 times
I hated high school. I was a bookworm, worked 2 jobs on the weekends, and maintained an A average. I had a few close friends, and that was it. At the time, my only goals were to get into college, and save money.

I promised myself that when I entered college, that I can start with a clean slate. My first year, I lived on campus. I met a few people during orientation, and went to parties. It was great socializing.

From my second year to graduation, I transferred to a commuter college close to home. I got involved with a couple of student activities, and made friends there, as well as people I would see in my business classes.

So for me, socially, college was a LOT better than high school.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:41 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,215,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I hated college. Horrible experiences. I regret every semester.
Is working life a bit better?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:36 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,983,629 times
100x better because all of the colleges I've been to are consist of snooty self-segregated cliques and herds. Real life is a lot better than that.

But I'm not really friends with people at work considering it's a business to complete tasks at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Is working life a bit better?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,553,974 times
I had no trouble at all except with certain overly ignorant people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships