Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:05 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times

Advertisements

Its tough to terminate a relationship with a family member or close friend but sometimes it has to be done to save what little sanity you have left. Im on the edge & its getting worse but i am maintaining my cool. The world is full of "haters".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I just had a big time argument with a relative & needless to say we will never talk to each other again. Its just something that has been brewing for years & i finally let loose & so did she. Has anyone else "terminated" their relationship with a relative (blood relative or step mom, step dad, etc) ?
I've never "terminated" a relationship with a relative...though I've been mighty angry before......but as time goes by, the anger becomes less...and then forgiveness sets in...which really is the best thing for ones own peace and well being....at least that's what I've found.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Not through a fight, but my sister and i last talked in June 2006. I don't miss her. She is passive -aggressive and has OCD/hoarding.

I email my brother when necessary as I am his financial trustee. He is a slick piece of work. Don't miss him either.

I have my "made" family(both parents dead) and they plus my kids/grandkids are plenty!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:22 PM

My step mother hasnt treated us like family in years. Maybe because we arent blood related. Some steps (mom,dad,bro & sis) are like that. I havent talked to or seen her 2 kids in years & dont really care to. They are quite selfish. Thanks for all the posts & advice. As far as im concerned its over.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:36 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
Yes, it's currently ongoing and mutual.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:42 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
Yep. I asked my sister to stop calling me when she was drunk. She didn't take it well.
She hasn't spoken to me in several months. OTOH, I felt it was high time someone told her that the drunk dialing was not appreciated.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:50 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Yes I have after years of trying to have a civilized relationship. In my case it was the smartest and most healthy thing I could have done years ago. I know though I forgave and gave it my best effort before chucking it.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:21 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
OP, you did the best you could for yourself. Of course, I love the positive advice from other posters but I do have to say this.

I wrote a letter to a relative that basically made clear what everybody knew, that she didn't like me.

It was really the first time in my life that I felt like I needed to do that. My point is that sometimes experience really is the best teacher and up until that point, I was not forced to interact with a person who clearly showed she didn't like me.

So I wrote her the letter and now she claims that she doesn't care ever since I wrote that letter. That if that was what I wanted, I got it. Ha! What she doesn't realize is that they way she behaves now after the letter was how she behaved before the letter.

There is only one difference. She knows I am not afraid to be more proactive.

My overall point: people don't change so we have to be more proactive in caring for ourselves instead of just tolerating other people's behavior. Hopefully, anger won't be allowed to build up.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:45 PM

It was very stressful around my step mother over the years. We always had to be cautious of our words cause she would often use them against us. Working for her was tough but ill NEVER work for or with a relative again (ex relative too). Our relationship is officially over & i think my fathers as well. I have rarely talked to or seen my father over the yrs anyways. When i did try i got the run around or some excuse. Im used to it.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:00 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
My step mother hasnt treated us like family in years. Maybe because we arent blood related. Some steps (mom,dad,bro & sis) are like that. I havent talked to or seen her 2 kids in years & dont really care to. They are quite selfish. Thanks for all the posts & advice. As far as im concerned its over.
I see alot of problems with steps because some people want to think of them as family. They have their own family. They have parents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, and cousins that are nothing to you. People keep forgetting that no ones marriage adds relatives, including your own. (in laws are not relatives)

My sister married a man with kids. I am not their uncle and they are not my nieces and nephews. We get along great. We aren't related and don't act like we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships