Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:26 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,972 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had a dispute with someone who was infringing on your rights and they got so angry that you dared to stand up for yourself that they started doing things to punish you?

I have.

I'll remove my example because I'm not interested in 'advice'

Last edited by TumbleBug; 12-23-2011 at 04:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 03:35 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Have you ever had a dispute with someone who was infringing on your rights and they got so angry that you dared to stand up for yourself that they started doing things to punish you?

I have.

I'll give you my example first (in case you're interested)

My next door neighbour was married to a politician (who died 4 years ago)
She arranged with the local gov't to put a sign in his memory in our waterview.
We have asked for it to be moved but local gov't said no.
She has lots of power because her late husband did.

Now because we tried to fight the decision (even though we lost) she is doing nasty things - the latest being putting up xmas lights in her backyard - right outside our bedroom windows, and leaving them on all night.

First year she has done this and we have been neighbours for 12 years.

She is mad because we dared to oppose her and she has threatened to do even more things which I won't get into... too depressing.

Can we share the misery? Have you ever been at the mercy of someone like this?

So call the cops on her.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:37 AM

As for the view situation if its on your property then you have the right to take it down. If it's hers there is not a whole lot you can do. If its in the public are you legally can take her to court however. And just make her miserable right back and she will stop doing it.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:41 AM

sign is on public property. xmas lights are in her backyard. might call the cops at 10pm tonight.
I texted her politely to please turn the lights off as our daughter is having trouble sleeping with them on all night.
Not sure if there's a law against it.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
sign is on public property. xmas lights are in her backyard. might call the cops at 10pm tonight.
I texted her politely to please turn the lights off as our daughter is having trouble sleeping with them on all night.
Not sure if there's a law against it.

Nuisance laws should cover it yes. If she doesn't stop then buy a spotlight and point if at her window and turn it on . Talk to a lawyer about taking it to court due to diminishing property value too.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:51 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,856 times
Get your daughter one of those sleeping masks that covers just the eyes. Problem solved.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:53 AM

Not really looking for advice peeps - looking for similar stories. If you have them.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:00 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,825 times
If your daughter has trouble sleeping maybe playing a lullaby would help. Just turn it up and put the speakers close to the window. On her side. Did I mention turn it up? On iTunes you can get "Led Zeppelin for Babies". It's so soothing, she'll love it. Your daughter I mean.

I feel your pain. We have part-time neighbors next to our 90acre isolated block who think it's ok to come onto our land because they don't mind if we go onto theirs. Or, they didn't realize we were there at the time. What that has to do with us being entitled to our privacy on our land I don't know. I wish fences weren't so costly and time-consuming. I wish I had the courage to do a sky-clad pagan ritual when they ride their dirt-bikes near the boundary. Sigh.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:02 AM

I'm not interested in revenge, not interested in escalating the conflict.
Just want to be left the hell alone to enjoy my own home.
Not going to happen because my neighbor is a spoiled entitled *****.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:12 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
I don't see anything wrong with what she is doing unless there is a local ordinance about having lights on her own property.

Regarding the sign on public property... think of this way. She gets her way because she has higher social hierarchy. It's nothing personal. Just an important fact of life.

Regarding my story, I can't tell you how many times my parents have infringed on my rights.... sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships