Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:40 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times

Advertisements

It wouldn't bother me at all. One of my friends is prett damn rich and successful. I'm not envious and in fairness, he is completely humble and down to earth and has never rubbed it in my face. So yes, of course it can work, but not if you are a naturally envious person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 03:41 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
It may be a problem if the only thing you two have in common is going out and spending money. However, if you have something else in common that is not beyond your financial means, I can't see why it would be a problem. You may not hang out as often.

Things are things. People are more important.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:43 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Rarely. I went to 2 different Catholic high schools. The first one was a stuffy "prep school" and I then, not so easily, got my wish to transfer to a run-of-the-mill archdiocesan one. Kids are really able to smell out socioeconomic status very quickly. At the first school, the "ultra rich" hung out with the "ultra rich," and on down. Economically similar people banded together, even the kids who were poor and had scholarships. My second school was thankfully not as diverse...it really only spanned from upper middle class to lower middle class, and there was some "layering," though not as much.

As you get into the world of work, the income disparity causes more of a rift, because people can't spend at the same level. I doubt the doctor hangs around the high school industrial arts teacher, unless they were really, really good friends as kids.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-11-2012 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoxy View Post
If you lived in a small $100k house, struggled, but really good nice person met a friend you really liked and she lives in a huge home with new cars new everything. Would you still be her friend? Will it work out? Will you judge her for being successful? She hasn't judged me for being "poor". Seems down to earth, very cool. Wondering why co-workers are wiser to make friends with cause youre (most of time) in the same financial range.
What if I feel intimidated by her wealth?
How do you know she is rich? What if her house is underwater and car upside down? She could be living with her parents?

How does she know you are rich or poor?

How do you know how much wealth she has?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
I think "poor" and "rich" are subjective, but I don't think people intentionally segregate by economic status, especially friends. I think what happens is that based on what you can each afford to do, socially, it becomes challenging to hang together. For instance, I have a friend who struggles financially and even going to happy hour or the movies with her is challenging because she would drink water, or not want to go. This made it uncomfortable for both us. On the flip side, I am not really trying to hang out with Kate Middleton because I definitely could not keep up with her lifestyle, or social circle nor would I want to. So by default I end up spending most time with people around my same socioeconomic grouping, which I think is similar for others. I'd say don't let what she has bother you, just don't try to keep up with the Joneses and get yourself into trouble.
This is very true. I think we'd be happier in America if our social lives didn't revolve so much around spending money, but that is the current reality, unfortunately.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,592 times
Not with all. Rich people tend to wait too much... One get pissed of for getting something too cheap, lol ... Then he regret of it later when he understood what I meant by saying I am poor.... Well... This poor girl though his soul is not rich enough to being with her.... .

Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's just kind of hard to do some activities together - like dining, shopping, vacations, etc.
Sierra nailed it here. "Friends" usually do things together, but if one of them can't afford to do what the other enjoys, that will limit the scope of the relationship. It doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't be friends.

I'm not sure what you mean about judging someone for being successful. Like it's a bad thing? It's not. And there's no reason to be intimidated by a friend's wealth. Just be who you are, and let her be who she is.

I've had friends who were 10X wealthier than me. I've been 10X wealthier than some of my friends. There were limits to what we could do together, but we had some similar interests that tied us together -- hobbies, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:41 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
I think "poor" and "rich" are subjective, but I don't think people intentionally segregate by economic status, especially friends. I think what happens is that based on what you can each afford to do, socially, it becomes challenging to hang together. For instance, I have a friend who struggles financially and even going to happy hour or the movies with her is challenging because she would drink water, or not want to go. This made it uncomfortable for both us. On the flip side, I am not really trying to hang out with Kate Middleton because I definitely could not keep up with her lifestyle, or social circle nor would I want to. So by default I end up spending most time with people around my same socioeconomic grouping, which I think is similar for others. I'd say don't let what she has bother you, just don't try to keep up with the Joneses and get yourself into trouble.
Well said. I concur.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
It wouldn't bother me at all. One of my friends is prett damn rich and successful. I'm not envious and in fairness, he is completely humble and down to earth and has never rubbed it in my face. So yes, of course it can work, but not if you are a naturally envious person.
I agree....I would also add that when you first become friends...that friends income would probably not come into the equation...so don't let it ever...and you could have a good friend based on compatibility...not finances.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 PM

438 posts, read 1,352,620 times
It should not be an issue. You don't say if you may be far more cultured/educated and a struggling business owner trying to get over the crisis. Don't measure people by their ostentation - she may owe the bank a couple of million - and many actually do. If the glove fits and you guys get along fine, and there is a sincere interest between the two of you I would not even worry about it.
On the other hand, I know many millionaires/ess in a situation who do not like to attract attention to themselves and thus live very simple, humble lives without ostentation of any sort. Their needs are not materialistic apart from the occasional visit to an "ill relative" when they travel abroad or to other neighboring states for a "splash" and get to climb out of the mold of being that "person in the 100K house"
Looks are deceptive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships