Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do women have it easier in life than men?
YES 29 33.33%
Both are equal 14 16.09%
NO 44 50.57%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
A lot of angry women on here, extolling the "difficulties" of being a woman in America. Let's keep this apples to apples, so that leaves out the singles, widows, and divorcees. Let's look at married couple. Unless they have a kid with Down Syndrome or other chronic disorder, tell me that being a SAHM is harder than being a professional man in a demanding job!
Why? Most women are single, widows or have been divorced. The wealthy SAHM is rare these days. Sure a woman who is a SAHM married to a man who can provide maid service and nannies and money for his wife to go and do as she pleases has it easer than her husband if he works a demanding career. Thats not really debatable but it is also not reality for the majority of women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:05 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You must not inquire about much, because all of my neighbors that I know are families where the husband is the sole/major breadwinner in the family. The wives often have jobs too, but they make much less money. Therefore, the men had to work far harder than the women to make those high incomes and make it possible to even have a family in the first place.

You can talk about exceptions. I'm talking about what 90% or more of society looks like today.
See theres the thing, the husband is the breadwinner, BUT THE WIVES HAVE JOBS TOO, BUT their jobs dont count because they dont make the same salary as their husbands. Why, because they are doing that second job, taking care of the kids (dr. appts., staying home when thier sick, school and extra curricular activities), cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. that limits them from the higher paying jobs that require more devotion, work hours, etc.

It dosent take those high incomes to be possible to have a family. The median family income is around 50,000. According to Dept. of labor statistics on average 65% of men are in the workforce and 55% of women. Not exactly 90% SAHMs. Im with Fleur, nearly all families I know both spouses work outside the home.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
I've also seen it in the workforce, beyond the "kept in bonbons SAHM" crowd. I've seen that most professional women and even some men seem to respectively mentor and "daddy" young women entering the workforce at the same time as young men. In my experiences, I've seen that, sometimes, actually many times, this is wasted because the woman gets married and gets pregnant, leaves, and doesn't come back - sometimes joining up with a different outfit, but cutting her teeth at the place she was mentored. I've seen it quite a bit. The guys that started with them are still there and towing the line.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:45 AM

62 posts, read 212,852 times
Men have far more pressure to achieve in financial issues and career related goals. Women have FAR MORE pressure to achieve a certain weight, appearance and "lady like" demeanor. Women are as sexual, perverted, vulgar, gassy as men when men are not looking.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesAnna View Post
Women are as sexual, perverted, vulgar, gassy as men when men are not looking.
I am absolutely sure that women are every bit as graphic amongst themselves as men are.

However, society thinks it's ok for women to be biotchy to men when not interested, but being rude to a woman when a man is not interested is not tolerated.

The list gets longer.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:31 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
Then why don't you put yourself in the shoes of us men too??

1. We have to work our butt off just because we are usually the sole breadwinner of the family.
Key word, "usually" and my husband is NOT working his butt off...that is laughable. He sits in his air-conditioned office, has a few meetings, sends a few e-mails, deals with a few idiots, goes to catered lunch meetings, travels the world...etc. He's not digging ditches in the 90+ degree heat.

2. We aren't expected to complain or cry our hearts out because we will be condemned as weaklings.
That is an expectation placed on men by other men. Thank your daddy and your own gender. If you want to cry, cry. Doesn't bother me in the least.

3. We have to serve the nation and might be mobilised for war when the need arises.
Uhhh, really? You HAVE to? Funny...guess my husband and those men in my neighbhood missed that memo. None of them have served the nation.

4. Regardless of the financial capability of either parent, the ex-wife always gets the alimony instead.
This is a "what if". Don't get married and then viola...no worry about paying out alimony.

5. While the guy is usually expected to make the first move, he could very possibly be just an option but the hot girl would always be the priority.
Seriously, are you 14? This is a "hardship"??? Poor you.

6. When an emergency or disaster arises, men are expected to give way to women but ultimately have to fend for themselves.
Ummm, no. Generalize much? When we have an emergency or disaster my husband throws his hands up and looks at me to deal with it.

7. Women always say they are fine but yet they become short-tempered and moody when we don't bother about it further. Just what do you woman want???
Again, generalize much? I know a LOT of men that are short-tempered and a lot of women that aren't.

8. In a fake rape/assault case, the girl who set the guy up usually gets away with it (at least initially).
Do you lie awake worrying about fake-rape cases against you? That's kind of mental, don't you think??

9. In certain cases, the cute blonde gets into the company without any interview whereas the guy gotta prove his worth.
Well shoot...guess I got served the short end of the stick...I'm not blonde, along with roughly more than half the female population.

10. It seems logical for the guy to pay for the date but not the other way round.
If you ask her for a date, you pay. If she asks you, she pays. That's how I always did it.
Try again. Your arguments are very weak.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
See theres the thing, the husband is the breadwinner, BUT THE WIVES HAVE JOBS TOO, BUT their jobs dont count because they dont make the same salary as their husbands. Why, because they are doing that second job, taking care of the kids (dr. appts., staying home when thier sick, school and extra curricular activities), cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. that limits them from the higher paying jobs that require more devotion, work hours, etc.

It dosent take those high incomes to be possible to have a family. The median family income is around 50,000. According to Dept. of labor statistics on average 65% of men are in the workforce and 55% of women. Not exactly 90% SAHMs. Im with Fleur, nearly all families I know both spouses work outside the home.

Breadwinner/schmeadwinner. If we're both working and our salaries aren't LUDICROUSLY disparate, then it stops there: both working.

At least in my book.

Then again I'm not the typical guy and I don't particularly care for the typical woman, especially when this sexist garbage keeps coming up.

Women have it easier in some ways, but they have it harder in others. I've never figured out why this is such a point of contention.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:57 PM

360 posts, read 982,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
1. We have to work our butt off just because we are usually the sole breadwinner of the family.
Key word, "usually" and my husband is NOT working his butt off...that is laughable. He sits in his air-conditioned office, has a few meetings, sends a few e-mails, deals with a few idiots, goes to catered lunch meetings, travels the world...etc. He's not digging ditches in the 90+ degree heat.
Your husband's case is not a true reflection of men's predicament in entirety.

Quote:
2. We aren't expected to complain or cry our hearts out because we will be condemned as weaklings.
That is an expectation placed on men by other men. Thank your daddy and your own gender. If you want to cry, cry. Doesn't bother me in the least.
It is an expectation placed by both genders. And i figured that you ended this part with "doesn't bother me in the least" because you just can't find a better way to substantiate your argument further.

Quote:
3. We have to serve the nation and might be mobilised for war when the need arises.
Uhhh, really? You HAVE to? Funny...guess my husband and those men in my neighbhood missed that memo. None of them have served the nation.

Don't assume that this issue is centred around the US. I'm referring to the entire world.

At least countries like South Korea, Israel and Singapore enforced compulsory military service.

Quote:
4. Regardless of the financial capability of either parent, the ex-wife always gets the alimony instead.
This is a "what if". Don't get married and then viola...no worry about paying out alimony.
In that case, don't bear any child and it will save you all the trouble.

Quote:
5. While the guy is usually expected to make the first move, he could very possibly be just an option but the hot girl would always be the priority.
Seriously, are you 14? This is a "hardship"??? Poor you.

And do you still manage to maintain an attractive body figure and facial features after marriage? If not, i pity you.

Quote:
6. When an emergency or disaster arises, men are expected to give way to women but ultimately have to fend for themselves.
Ummm, no. Generalize much? When we have an emergency or disaster my husband throws his hands up and looks at me to deal with it.
Your husband is just an anomaly.

You should really get out there more often, meet more male friends and get the real picture.

Quote:
7. Women always say they are fine but yet they become short-tempered and moody when we don't bother about it further. Just what do you woman want???
Again, generalize much? I know a LOT of men that are short-tempered and a lot of women that aren't.
Fair enough.

What i'm driving at is, women often don't say what they truly feel even when something about their husband/boyfriend bothers them.

Quote:
8. In a fake rape/assault case, the girl who set the guy up usually gets away with it (at least initially).
Do you lie awake worrying about fake-rape cases against you? That's kind of mental, don't you think??
It seems logical for a guy to sexually abuse the girl but not the other way round because the latter has traditionally been regarded as a weaker sex.

Though the "weaker sex" concept is not as prevalent in this day and age, it is not entirely lost.

Quote:
9. In certain cases, the cute blonde gets into the company without any interview whereas the guy gotta prove his worth.
Well shoot...guess I got served the short end of the stick...I'm not blonde, along with roughly more than half the female population.
Yeah. This is more relevant to the hot girls out there.

Quote:
10. It seems logical for the guy to pay for the date but not the other way round.
If you ask her for a date, you pay. If she asks you, she pays. That's how I always did it.
Fair enough. Good for guys whose girlfriends are reasonable enough to be willing to go dutch or pay for the date if they themselves initiated the date.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:11 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,860 times
To OP, what is the real point of your post? Do you think you have it much rougher than the average female?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:06 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Men generally make more money than women. Men don't have to endure pregnancy and delivery. Men generally don't have to deal with children all the time. Men don't have periods each month. Men don't worry about keeping the house clean. Men generally have one job, 40 hours a week and get to come home and relax. Women have a 40 hour job, come home to clean and take care of brats. They don't get to relax.

If a woman is single she is looked upon with jealously if she's young and pity if she's older. If she's older she is insecure about her future. What if she gets sick? What will she do in retirement? All kinds of stuff men don't have to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships