Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 3,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
I figured I'd give this a try. My Dad is the hardest person to shop for. Maybe there are more guys out there like him who can give me gift ideas of what they'd want for Christmas. All the stores (real and online) have these "gift ideas for Dad" but none of them fit my Dad.

Dad is in his late 60s, retired, in good health.
No real hobbies, no golf, will watch Philly sports, but not really a big Eagles or Phillies "fan," so no jerseys, etc.
Not into any kind of exercise or sports.

Very handy--can fix anything in the car or house--but he already has nearly every possible tool. I've gotten him all kind of power tools, screwdriver sets, pocket multi-tools. Those damned Leatherman tools are guaranteed for like 75 years, so all the ones I've bought him will outlast him and not need replacing any time soon (should have gotten him cheap ones, right?)

Very simple in his clothing, and will say he doesn't need any clothes. My mom, sister, and I have already bought him a complete wardrobe over the years, from Eddie Bauer, L.L. Bean, and he lives in plaid flannel shirts and jeans or khakis. We've already gotten him nice leather belts, and he has a pretty new wallet.

Not into high-tech things. Doesn't use a computer (no interest). Uses a very simple cell phone and doesn't want a "fancy" one. Likes oldies music (50s and 60s) but no interest in an ipod or a music collection.

Will drink a beer once in a while when at a restaurant, but not a big "beer guy."

Definitely not into pipes/cigars/tobacco.

Loves Consumer Reports, but already has a subscription and an indexed file of back-issues.
Likes car magazines, but I've already gotten him Motor Trend and Car & Driver subscriptions for his birthday or Father's Day.

No cologne/after shave. He's very simple and doesn't like "smelly" toiletry supplies. Ivory soap, Barbasol, that's about it. No personal grooming devices like nose hair clippers or ear hair trimmers. He goes to a barber regularly and has everything neatly attended to.

Likes duct tape. He's probably the guy all the duct tape jokes could be about. But we've already gotten him every comedy/joke book about duct tape, and duct tape in every color and pattern.

Spends his time puttering with the cars, fixing little things in the house, watching my sister's kids (being a Grandpa), eating at restaurants with my Mom, and watching TV. Reads the newspapers (actual paper version, already has subscriptions), watches DVDs (finally replaced his VCR a few years ago) takes care of the dogs, picks up dog poop in the back yard (already got him some innovative mechanical pooper-scoopers).

Already got him some DVDs--likes mob movies, the Sopranos, Dexter, any police-related TV series, Rodney Dangerfield comedies from the 80s, Abbott & Costello. Lately he's been into watching Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and Storage Wars, so we bond over that. I was thinking maybe buying him DVDs of TV series' he might never have seen, but that are in his genre. Not sure what though...

Last year I got him some special super-duper windshield wipers that were supposed to be the coolest invention since rocks, but I think they are still int he package on the peg board over his workbench 11 months later. Again, he doesn't like "fancy" or high-tech, "It's just more stuff that can break."

He's super-organized, but I think I've already gotten him a bunch of organizational/storage supplies. He does like the Brother P-Touch label maker I got him a few years ago (finally gave up the dymo punch-label maker from the 70s, even though "it was still perfectly good.")

He always says he doesn't need or want anything when holidays come up. He's very generous with all of us, so it sucks that we can never think of good gifts for him.

My sister has it easier, since she has kids. She just has to have calendars and mugs made with pictures of the grandchildren for him, and digital photo frames that will magically show pictures of the grandkids. B*tch. I don't think pictures of my dogs and cats would have the same effect.

I'm a lot like my Dad, but I at least have hobbies, and people always know what to get for me.

HELP!!!!!!!!

There must be other guys out there like my Dad! Advice please???????????
Old thread but I thought this was warranted. It really sounds to me the most impactful thing you can do for him is just to say "Hey Dad, let's spend some time together." Whatever you decide that to be whether its fishing; just talking about what it was like growing up/raising the family or the things he found hard/or easy to deal with family or whatever; hanging out in the garage and just working on the latest project together <-- these things really sounds like the best thing to do.

How I know this? My mom is older and she has gotten tireder over the years. The time I spend with her washing the dishes for her, talking to her or massaging her achy muscles is the most sane I have felt all pandemic and really recent memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 09:29 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,155,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
McCallan 21 is always nice.

If he does not like it, send it to me and i will adopt you.
Made me laugh!
He would love that McCallan! I have bought him some pretty rare alcohol. There have probably been 3 times that really blew him away. It's like a game trying to outdo my previous finds. I do have a great friend in the business that has helped me get my hands on a few of them that I would not have been able to get by myself.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:23 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,051,679 times
Maybe you could try a gift from the heart. If he is in relatively good shape, maybe you can treat him to an entire day with you. Take him for a nice lunch and then a movie and spend qualitey time with you. I'm sure he won't care what yall do, as long as he is with you, that is what matters the most with parents.

My kids ask me what I want for Mother's Day. I always say "quality time with all of you" and that means everything to me.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:50 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,964,873 times
I'm like your Dad. I have everything I want and if I don't I'll buy it myself. Is their a restaurant he likes to go to? Get him a gift card. We got a $100 gift card to a chain steak house we enjoy and got several enjoyable meals out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
I figured I'd give this a try. My Dad is the hardest person to shop for. Maybe there are more guys out there like him who can give me gift ideas of what they'd want for Christmas. All the stores (real and online) have these "gift ideas for Dad" but none of them fit my Dad.

Dad is in his late 60s, retired, in good health.
No real hobbies, no golf, will watch Philly sports, but not really a big Eagles or Phillies "fan," so no jerseys, etc.
Not into any kind of exercise or sports.

Very handy--can fix anything in the car or house--but he already has nearly every possible tool. I've gotten him all kind of power tools, screwdriver sets, pocket multi-tools. Those damned Leatherman tools are guaranteed for like 75 years, so all the ones I've bought him will outlast him and not need replacing any time soon (should have gotten him cheap ones, right?)

Very simple in his clothing, and will say he doesn't need any clothes. My mom, sister, and I have already bought him a complete wardrobe over the years, from Eddie Bauer, L.L. Bean, and he lives in plaid flannel shirts and jeans or khakis. We've already gotten him nice leather belts, and he has a pretty new wallet.

Not into high-tech things. Doesn't use a computer (no interest). Uses a very simple cell phone and doesn't want a "fancy" one. Likes oldies music (50s and 60s) but no interest in an ipod or a music collection.

Will drink a beer once in a while when at a restaurant, but not a big "beer guy."

Definitely not into pipes/cigars/tobacco.

Loves Consumer Reports, but already has a subscription and an indexed file of back-issues.
Likes car magazines, but I've already gotten him Motor Trend and Car & Driver subscriptions for his birthday or Father's Day.

No cologne/after shave. He's very simple and doesn't like "smelly" toiletry supplies. Ivory soap, Barbasol, that's about it. No personal grooming devices like nose hair clippers or ear hair trimmers. He goes to a barber regularly and has everything neatly attended to.

Likes duct tape. He's probably the guy all the duct tape jokes could be about. But we've already gotten him every comedy/joke book about duct tape, and duct tape in every color and pattern.

Spends his time puttering with the cars, fixing little things in the house, watching my sister's kids (being a Grandpa), eating at restaurants with my Mom, and watching TV. Reads the newspapers (actual paper version, already has subscriptions), watches DVDs (finally replaced his VCR a few years ago) takes care of the dogs, picks up dog poop in the back yard (already got him some innovative mechanical pooper-scoopers).

Already got him some DVDs--likes mob movies, the Sopranos, Dexter, any police-related TV series, Rodney Dangerfield comedies from the 80s, Abbott & Costello. Lately he's been into watching Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and Storage Wars, so we bond over that. I was thinking maybe buying him DVDs of TV series' he might never have seen, but that are in his genre. Not sure what though...

Last year I got him some special super-duper windshield wipers that were supposed to be the coolest invention since rocks, but I think they are still int he package on the peg board over his workbench 11 months later. Again, he doesn't like "fancy" or high-tech, "It's just more stuff that can break."

He's super-organized, but I think I've already gotten him a bunch of organizational/storage supplies. He does like the Brother P-Touch label maker I got him a few years ago (finally gave up the dymo punch-label maker from the 70s, even though "it was still perfectly good.")

He always says he doesn't need or want anything when holidays come up. He's very generous with all of us, so it sucks that we can never think of good gifts for him.

My sister has it easier, since she has kids. She just has to have calendars and mugs made with pictures of the grandchildren for him, and digital photo frames that will magically show pictures of the grandkids. B*tch. I don't think pictures of my dogs and cats would have the same effect.

I'm a lot like my Dad, but I at least have hobbies, and people always know what to get for me.

HELP!!!!!!!!

There must be other guys out there like my Dad! Advice please???????????

Old 12-08-2021, 11:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Made me laugh!
He would love that McCallan! I have bought him some pretty rare alcohol. There have probably been 3 times that really blew him away. It's like a game trying to outdo my previous finds. I do have a great friend in the business that has helped me get my hands on a few of them that I would not have been able to get by myself.
Gettin your hands on an extra $600 might be more diccifult than finding Macallan 21.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I'm like your Dad. I have everything I want and if I don't I'll buy it myself. Is their a restaurant he likes to go to? Get him a gift card. We got a $100 gift card to a chain steak house we enjoy and got several enjoyable meals out of it.
Cleaning up my dad's house we just found a $50 gift card to outback steakhouse that my in-laws got for him about 20 years ago. I hope it is still good. Does outback still exist?

Old 12-08-2021, 12:03 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,964,873 times
Quote:
Cleaning up my dad's house we just found a $50 gift card to outback steakhouse that my in-laws got for him about 20 years ago. I hope it is still good. Does outback still exist?
Well if he drinks, get him a couple of bottles of his favorite brand. That won't go to waste.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:17 PM

3,275 posts, read 1,754,718 times
Old thread but seasonal. I'd say find a steakhouse which has dry aged steaks and either take him to dinner there or buy a gift certificate for a dinner there. A good dry aged steak can be pricey but it'll be the best meal he's had.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:48 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,155,103 times
Quote:
Gettin your hands on an extra $600 might be more diccifult than finding Macallan 21.
He would be upset with me if I spent that much on a single bottle for him. We have a rule. He doesn't get to know what it cost me but I can't go crazy overboard. We have differing opinions on what that is lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships