Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times

Advertisements

Beside taking care of my parents my plan would be take $20 million for myself then give reasonable amounts of money to those who ask and by reasonable I mean not several million dollars.
The conditions would be:
They
would have to ask, I would not offer-
would only receive the amount requested-
cannot not ask for more-
can spend it as they choose-
cannot tell anyone where the money came from-
one request per household-
would be responsible for any additional taxes-

Naturally this would be on a form signed and notorized by all parties. Once the funds were depleted to the $20 mil mark that would end the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,150,276 times
I'm sure I will never have to make this decision but in a way it does worry me. My husband plays the lotto every week. Personally I think its a waste of money but like my husband says, if he wins I will be glad. lol. Anyway, we have talked about what we would do with lotto winnings and what worries me is that my husband and I dont agree on a lot of things. So if by some chance we actually won, I think we would have problems.

I dont like my in-laws. They have treated me like crap over the years and it would kill me to hand anything over to them. So obviously this is going to be a problem because my husband would want to help out his family. He also is a bit blinded by how they actually are. I can see him giving them some money and them coming back for another hand out later. He wouldnt be able to say no. He has one sister that has filed bankruptcy 3 times, it appears they may be heading for their 4th. Whatever money he would give her and my BIL would get blown. On the flip side, I dont think I would want to help out my siblings since they dont even really talk to me. I haven't seen my brother in a long time and he doesnt even know where I live. So I guess I dont deserve to win since I dont want to share. lol.

Ideally, I would like to win and not have a soul know.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,178,863 times
I sort of daydream about this though I shouldn't since I don't play lotteries......but...
...the only help will be setting up tuition & room/board funds for my two nieces and nephew for college, 4 years plus 2 years grad school. Thats it.

Otherwise the money would be used for philanthropy...and would be used only in Dayton and Louisville, the two cities I'm familiar enough with to where I'd feel comfortable with nonprofit & charitable giving to know where & what the impact would be. Keep the benefit local.

$200M. You can't realistically spend that kind of money during a lifespan, esp if middle aged.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
I would help myself and my family and my church family.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:10 AM

741 posts, read 1,289,004 times
Other people...hmmmm.
I would pay off school loans for my brother, and pay off a chunk of my two sister in laws loans (unless my husband really wanted to pay them off in full).
I would pay to fix up my In Laws home, I don't think I would hand cash over to them as they are terrible with money management.
As for my parents I would pay for a professional organizer / therapist to come in and help with my mom's moderate hoarding behavoiur and try to get the house back in order. I would possibly get my DaD a time share or small property in Flordia as he's always wanted.
I would pay to put down sidewalks on both sides of my town's "downtown" area so kids could walk to and from the elementary school and library easier, I'd try to set up some fund where the town could maintain these sidewalks from the fund's interest, as opposed to property taxes. I'd also set up a wireless "hotspot" in the town library and purchase them new computers / flooring / furniture and just a general cleaning and sprucing up inside.
I would try to develop a scholarship program with the local school so I could give out help in various amounts to kids going off to school.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 AM

11 posts, read 16,918 times
I love fantasizing about winning, even though I don't play!*lol*

Off the top, I would give 10% to my home church. I don't go anymore, but I know the pastor and his wife would be excellent stewards. I would then have trust accounts set up for my grandkids and niece and nephews. My parents and in-laws would have all their debts paid off and set up in nice homes of their choosing with full-time help. They would each have accounts with plenty of cash to spend as they choose.

I would set up funds to allow my children and stepson to live comfortably on the condition that they remain employed, even if it's just part-time.

I would give my brother and sister $10 million each.

My husband may or may not want to share with his siblings, but that's on him!*lol*

My husband and I would each get new cars, probably buy property in different places and travel the world.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Beside taking care of my parents my plan would be take $20 million for myself then give reasonable amounts of money to those who ask and by reasonable I mean not several million dollars.
The conditions would be:
They
would have to ask, I would not offer-
would only receive the amount requested-
cannot not ask for more-
can spend it as they choose-
cannot tell anyone where the money came from-
one request per household-
would be responsible for any additional taxes-

Naturally this would be on a form signed and notorized by all parties. Once the funds were depleted to the $20 mil mark that would end the program.
Interesting...is there a particular reason that you would only give to those who would ask?

Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
I would help my 4 children in different ways, depending on their needs. I would ignore my siblings as they would do the same to me if they won.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
Hmmm-first, get a good lawyer with experience in such matters.

Then, help relatives with serious chronic health needs and financial issues, pay off a few mortgages for other kinfolk, establish college scholarship funds for younger relatives, contribute to my church for a specific need already made known by the church, generously contribute to some worthy child-related charities and ministries for which I already advocate, ditto with some conservation/preservation, animal welfare, literacy and health related non-profits, take care of some needed household repairs and updates, purchase some nearby scenic but costly rural land I have my eye on, improve that property and perhaps build a getaway cabin, replace my aging car, travel abroad and domestically without having to economize quite so much, pay for cleanup and restoration and establish ongoing upkeep of a couple of old, neglected out-of-state family cemeteries, ensure ongoing annual donations to the better-maintained church cemetery where I'll eventually end up, indulge in a few hobby-related purchases, establish a foundation to continue the good work after I'm gone.

And please don't even think of trying to diagram that run-on sentence!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
After making sure enough is put away for my immediate family, I'd start up a college scholarship for children of distant relatives or close friends. Then I'd buy some farm and establish a dog rescue named after my late dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships