Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 02:31 PM

538 posts, read 1,012,950 times

Advertisements

I have a good friend that has a niece that spends the night with him on Friday nights sometimes. They usually do something together at his house. Well I have a bunch of wood that needs burning so I was going to start a bonfire and might have a couple friends over. Well he wants to bring his 8 year old niece to the fire. I like to drink and have a good time after working all week. I was thinking about canceling because who can have fun with their friends with an 8 year old around?

I'm 27 and there is a reason I don't have kids. I honestly feel like a dick but I really don't want to accommodate a child on my time off. I've never been good with children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
No, you're not selfish. You want to host an activity that involves behavior not exactly suitable for children. So... either explain to your friend it's an adult event, or reschedule so friend can attend when he doesn't have niece.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:46 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
It's your party, so you can do what you want, but there can probably be a compromise. The kid most likely has to be in bed early anyway, so could she not come for an hour or so to toast some marshmallows, and then you could be as rowdy as you want from 8:30 onward?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
I like to drink and have a good time occasionally myself, and we've always had young ones around, they can really enjoy a bombfire as well, and when they start running out of steam they can go inside for a movie or whatever, and you adults can "let it all hang out"...I do feel it's selfish of you to not want to include this child on the "sometimes" Fridays she gets to be with her uncle.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:09 PM

175 posts, read 315,445 times
If someone would have told me that there was an "adults only" party going on and I had a kid around, I would simply decline. If you come straight out and say the kid is not welcome, you could be straining your friendship. I agree with the others, the kids will poop out early then ya'll can get plastered and stupid as you want.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
It's your call, but all my relatives had kids from there twenties on up (I have no children). It never stopped any of us getting together, having BBQs, and getting our drink on.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I have a good friend that has a niece that spends the night with him on Friday nights sometimes. They usually do something together at his house. Well I have a bunch of wood that needs burning so I was going to start a bonfire and might have a couple friends over. Well he wants to bring his 8 year old niece to the fire. I like to drink and have a good time after working all week. I was thinking about canceling because who can have fun with their friends with an 8 year old around?

I'm 27 and there is a reason I don't have kids. I honestly feel like a dick but I really don't want to accommodate a child on my time off. I've never been good with children.
Nope. Go get wasted. Tanked.

In 8-10 years every activity will consist of little children running around and making you want to puke. So take advantage of the opportunity to get sh@tfaced now.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,791,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post

Am I the only one who thinks a niece spending the night with an uncle is inappropriate...?

An eight-year-old girl should not be sleeping over at her uncle's house.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Am I the only one who thinks a niece spending the night with an uncle is inappropriate...?

It's really sad that the media has somehow given some the idea that something like this is automatically suspicious. Or maybe it just gave those with naturally prurient minds an excuse to be more public about it.

Maybe the uncle is the designated guardian in the parents' will and if something happened to them, she'd be living with him ALL the time - would you have issues then and she should go to a foster home instead? Maybe the parents get a night out occasionally without having, or both work the kind of jobs where they are both on a night shift on Friday nights and he's babysitting, or any number of things.

Get your mind out of the gutter, really. Or at least don't think everyone else's mind is in the gutter with you.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

Well, maybe YOUR kids spending the night with YOUR brother would be. Quit the paranoia. It's off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships