Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times

Advertisements

My approach?

1) Get an unlisted number.
2) Hire a crack attorney.
3) Move to a discreet location, preferably out of town.
4) Give every head of household in my family and my wife's family a check for $500,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 AM

198 posts, read 468,944 times
IDK, I'd have to go over it with my newly acquired accountant(s).

I'd definitely know there are some people I wouldn't help, because they've already had substantial opportunities presented to them already.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
Lets say you are the only winner of the 545 Million Dollar Lottery and collect about $200 Million after taxes and fees. Who are you going to help, bail out, and ignore from your long list of relatives, friends, coworkers, neighbors and acquaintances now that you have the money and they know you are rich?

How are you going to say no to the people who want your help that were once friends or relatives who would not give you the time of day before you won the lottery?

PLEASE, lets keep the discussion to only how you are going to help or ignore people in your life, nothing about what you are going to do with your life. Lets keep the discussion to how you will work with the people with their hand out that you had a relationship of some kind before you were rich.
First of all, I won't tell anyone except my wife and mom. By "help", that means to me you are losing your home or need a life saving or sustaining medical procedure. I'll do that..for friends (close) and family(close) that I have had a REAL life relationship with. I would also make sure that children in my community have a nice Christmas.

If I had a relationship with someone, that means just that..had. Were done. BYE

You also have to flip this around..I have a few people in my family I haven't seen for years. They wouldn't **** on you if you were on fire. Yet, they would be the first to have their hands out. The gimmie pigs.

Other than that, I don't owe anyone who thinks they are entitled S##t.

Last edited by Gil3; 11-28-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
My brother first and foremost. Physical and mental problems have left him in a bit a financial mess as he nears retirement, after a life of "doing things right" and having his future planned out. Things don't always go as planned do they?

I'd give some to my kids and my sister/brother in law and my nieces. The older generation wouldn't want for anything and would have the best care possible. Some friends and family would get a one-time chunk of money "just becasue" to share the wealth, since I wouldn't want to be responsible for all that money by myself. They can decide how to use it.

The rest would be set up in some fashion with the help of financial planners/a legal team.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
I would spend a lot of money on micro loans in the third and developing worlds as it makes such a huge difference to people's lives and would also set up a credit union to lend money to people avoid the loan sharks which populate the financial sectors and prevent decent people in difficult situations to help themselves.

Also some scholarships to the best schools and universities for exceptional students from poorer backgrounds.

And I also like the concept of social entrepreneurships and not for profit investments where you help people develop businesses and inventions with the capital they can't always raise themselves. I would also give money to my favourite charities, including Amnesty International, Survival, Medecins sans Frontieres, Sight-Savers, Shelter ( for homeless people) and Greenpeace. And a lot of money would go on Medical Research too.

On a personal side I would ensure my Great-Uncle and Aunt ( in their 90s ) have everything they wish for ( which knowing them would be virtually nothing !) and would buy my best friend a nice house of her choosing and give her some nice holidays as she has been having a rough time lately. No other family to speak of and no friends in need otherwise....

I would make my money work for me so I can give more away and it does not run out by being careless and profligate with useless stuff and bling.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
My, oh my. Vengeance!

My ex is a miserable f'ing human being. And a lawyer. She had us back in court just because there were clouds in the sky that day. Thought she was very cute. Cost her nothing due to her legal community relationships, and cost me a bundle..and then some.

I'd put my legal team on retainer and find any (and there are MANY) excuse to torment the ex. She likes court? We'd be there if there was even a hint of rain! Secretly funded by my winnings. Torment her until she screamed for peace.

But just like her, i wouldn't even think about stopping just because it is inhumane. Ten million ought to bring some degree of satisfaction.

Help out is easy: My family who stood by me. My kids that were never judgmental. My S/O who had to bear this burden in my life at every turn.

God, it feels good just to think about it!

Nah. Never happen. But is sure is a nice thought.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
My, oh my. Vengeance!

My ex is a miserable f'ing human being. And a lawyer. She had us back in court just because there were clouds in the sky that day. Thought she was very cute. Cost her nothing due to her legal community relationships, and cost me a bundle..and then some.

I'd put my legal team on retainer and find any (and there are MANY) excuse to torment the ex. She likes court? We'd be there if there was even a hint of rain! Secretly funded by my winnings. Torment her until she screamed for peace.

But just like her, i wouldn't even think about stopping just because it is inhumane. Ten million ought to bring some degree of satisfaction.

Help out is easy: My family who stood by me. My kids that were never judgmental. My S/O who had to bear this burden in my life at every turn.

God, it feels good just to think about it!

Nah. Never happen. But is sure is a nice thought.
I must admit there would be a couple of people on my "retribution" list and vengeance would be sweet !! I would consider it money well spent to ruin the life of my Husband's last boss for example and making his life as miserable as humanly possible ( long story but the bastard has got it coming...). I could buy all the properties around his house and maybe start a youth detention centre, or a race track, maybe a dog kennel with very loud occupants, and make his house totally worthless if he ever tried to sell it again.

I could also ensure he never works anywhere ever again ,buy the company and keep on dissuading people from ever hiring him or buy the company and make his own life a total misery.... So many, many ways to ensure he gets what he is owed... I fancy the long game , a kind of "Count of Monte Cristo" revenge epic adventure. Edmond Dantes has always been a great hero of mine.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times
Besides the obvious, (set up college funds for all kids, nieces and nephews, take all family on dream vacation, pay off all their debts), I would have REAL FUN with the money.

Every week, I would go to a random inner-city high school and set up an appointment with the principal and front office staff. I would find out about a family that is struggling. Maybe a single mother with two jobs, but the kids are hard-working, good grades, etc. I would do an "Extreme Makeover" for them. Maybe back to school for Mom, new car, house, etc, awesome exotic vacation. Just basically restore their faith in humanity.

Then move on to the next one. How fun would that be??!!!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 AM

987 posts, read 1,387,042 times
I would first figure out how much money I will use to help family, relatives and friends depending on their financial present situation and keep the rest! I'd keep it private to myself, I wouldn't let them know who gave them the money! It's just my way!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
I would financially help my immediate family: My kids and grandkids, siblings and their children and one cousin and one neighbor who have helped me in my time of need. I would give four of my co-workers two years salary so they could quit our company and find other employment.
Screw everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships