Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times

Advertisements

Pet Peeves -- Reasonable

-- Showing up on time. By that I don't mean on the dot, but within a couple of minutes. Time is the stuff that life is made of, and a chronically late person is really only thinking of himself. People who claim some kind of mental defect that prevents them from being reasonably punctual are, in reality, self-centered rubes who just don't care enough to try.

-- People who inject their political views into every discussion, regardless of how unrelated the current subject might be to politics. Conservatives and Liberals are equally obnoxious in this regard. Don't even try to convince me otherwise.

-- People who don't have conversations, but rather have monologs. Conversation is pretty simple. You talk and then you actually listen to the other person, not just fidget around while the other person gives you an opening to talk about yourself some more.

Unreasonable Pet Peeves

-- I admit to getting annoyed by relentless optimists.

-- Dog people who talk about their mutts as if they were substitute children. They're not, you know.

-- People who love to talk about what they saw on television last night. There are a total of three shows I watch (Although Game of Thrones is about to become #4). I just think that watching six hours of television every night is a poor substitute for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 06:32 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Cashiers who put the receipt (or the bills) in your hand first when giving you change, and then drop the coins on top of the paper so that they slide off and scatter all over the floor. Use your head - how do you think that's going to turn out? And how many times does it have to turn out that way before it dawns on you that maybe you should put the hard, heavy coins in the hand first, and then set the smooth, slippery paper on top of them?

Old 06-11-2014, 11:41 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
two things -

The common phrase nowadays used to start a sentence "I mean". as in when a person asks another person something, then the answer begins with "i mean".. I think it is replacing "you know". Because if you really use "I mean" in a sentence, you are clarifying the previous sentence. but here, no previous sentence was given in order to clarify.

Also, when someone sneezes with a scream, do they really need to do that?

Old 06-11-2014, 11:46 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
happened to me, recently, i know how you feel.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:27 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Cashiers who put the receipt (or the bills) in your hand first when giving you change, and then drop the coins on top of the paper so that they slide off and scatter all over the floor. Use your head - how do you think that's going to turn out? And how many times does it have to turn out that way before it dawns on you that maybe you should put the hard, heavy coins in the hand first, and then set the smooth, slippery paper on top of them?

I think that came from cashiers no longer having to make change the way they used to.

It used to be that if your purchase came to $12.32, and you paid for it with a $20, the cashier would make change this way, handing you the coins and bills in order and counting it as they go -

three pennies - "33, 34, 35"
a nickel - "40"
a dime - "50"
two quarters (or a half-dollar) - "13 dollars"
two one-dollar bills - "14, 15"
one five-dollar bill - "20"

Now, the register does the math and tells them that the change is $7.68, so they give you the receipt and the bills, then plop the coins on top and say, "Your change is $7.68."

Old 06-11-2014, 12:47 PM

165 posts, read 194,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
two things -

The common phrase nowadays used to start a sentence "I mean". as in when a person asks another person something, then the answer begins with "i mean".. I think it is replacing "you know". Because if you really use "I mean" in a sentence, you are clarifying the previous sentence. but here, no previous sentence was given in order to clarify.

Also, when someone sneezes with a scream, do they really need to do that?
This reminds me of something I commonly hear when I am on the phone, when I try to get a word in edgewise, some people will reply "Because . . .", as if I didn't say a thing. They just didn't get the answer they had hoped for immediately.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:49 PM

165 posts, read 194,470 times
Actually, I think we could all do with a few more drama queens these days IRL. Too many people (OK, count this as a pet peeve) are so stoic and uncommunicative. I open up more to people who confide in me. If it gets to be too much, then I say something. Big deal. Or I turn away.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:53 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
You share that one with movie director John Waters. He mentions it on his DVD "This Filthy World".
LOL. I'm in good company!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships