Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
People telling me to smile!

By nature I'm one of those annoying happy people. When my face is not animated or in repose for some....to me it just sits there. So many people thinks it's their duty to make me smile.

Smile!!! What's wrong? Well to be honest nothing was wrong, I was just working/thinking/sitting here and now you insist I smile. why must you do this?
Oh Gosh yes,that's describes me.
Just because I have a neutral expression on my face doesn't mean I'm sad or mad.
People act like everyone is supposed to be smiley all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 08:11 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
1) Lazy Pessimists: Those who automatically see the negative in anything and everything without thinking about it for a minute.

2) People who automatically assume things about you: these are way more common on discussion forums but I tolerate it more there than in real life.

3) People who buy expensive things to show off to others: This is to be expected of most people to a small degree but I can't stand those who take it to the extreme.

4) People who invite you to events along with countless other people, most of whom you don't know.

5) People who don't respect your time.

6) People who try very hard to pry little details out of your life.

7) People who talk about Sports constantly (or Anime, Cars, Computers, Church, School, Work, Girls, etc.) I like some variety in conversational topics, please.

8) People who insist on using one particular communication medium to keep in touch with you (usually it's an old email you rarely check anymore or an old cell phone) after repeatedly telling them to use other contacts (i.e. Facebook, an email your check regularly now, your main cell phone, etc.) Then they wonder why it took you 2 months to respond to their email...

Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Lets see..Most is work related, as that seems where I spend most of my life, but can also apply elsewhere.

People who are nosy and want to know my business. In general, those who simply don't respect the boundaries of others.

busybodies

People who ask ME about other people's business or what they are like. Good grief!!

Tardiness..if you ask me to pick you up, PLEASE be ready. I don't wan't to sit in my car for 10 minutes waiting for you. If I were in a bad mood, I would leave your a## and make you find another ride.

Moochers who don't pay their fair share when going out, esp in groups or those who come to a potluck emptyhanded AND eat most of the food.

Unannounced visitors at home..This is self explanatory.

Folks who MUST insert or eavesdrop on every little conversation, including telephonic ones.

Just because YOU have a problem with someone doesn't mean I should.

Yappers and people who talk non-stop about NOTHING.

High maintenance people who always want constant attention and special treatment

Those who always want respect, but never give it themselves

Touchy feely people..If I don't know where your hands have been, please keep to yourself.

I'm not perfect, but just a few of my own..

Last edited by Gil3; 12-17-2012 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM

559 posts, read 1,395,021 times
Quote:

By nature I'm one of those annoying happy people. When my face is not animated or in repose for some....to me it just sits there. So many people thinks it's their duty to make me smile.

Smile!!! What's wrong? Well to be honest nothing was wrong, I was just working/thinking/sitting here and now you insist I smile. why must you do this?
Yes! In my case it's always strangers telling me to smile. This has happened when I've been walking down the street by myself or shopping in a store by myself. A strange man will tell me to smile. At what???

The last time this happened I was in my car by myself at a red light. A man in the car next to me honked - I thought he was going to say can you give me directions to..... or your tail light is out or something along those lines. I lowered my passenger side window and the first thing he said was "Why you look so evil?" How am I supposed to look when I'm waiting for a light to turn green? What is the proper facial expression for that?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:01 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Oh, and those who don't get a clue when I try to bean dip them..An Ehell goodoe for changing the subject

Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Not much bothers me. If it does, I walk away. I guess ignorance bugs me the most. I mean read a book, go to a play, visit a museum....do something besides talk about FB, Twitter, or reality television.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Tardiness. I am and have always been extremely punctual and people being late drives me nuts. I find it so rude and inconsiderate to make other people wait for you. We all have busy lives,so consider other peoples' when not bothering to turn up on time ( often with no warning at all)

Ill mannered people. I was always brought up to open doors, give my seat to elderly people, pregnant women, send thank you notes for gifts or dinner parties and respond to correspondence. I simply cannot comprehend how anyone can ignore basic rules of etiquette and manners.

Racists, Homophobes, Xenophobes,Bigots basically. All show an intense degree of stupidity and ignorance for which frankly I have little to no patience or tolerance for.

Shallow people. People who care more about appearance, someone's bank account or what designers they sport than the content of their character or their intellect. I find it irritating in the extreme and those people are the dullest on the planet.

Self obsessed /vain/selfish people - See above as those traits usually go hand in hand.

Fussy eaters. I could not care less what people eat as long as they do not expect people to cater to their whims. And never say "eeewwww gross" in front of me if you have never even tasted whatever thing you are dissing because that to me is a cardinal sin. If you tell me you hate parsnips, fair enough but at least try them first.

Snobs. This includes reverse snobs. Snobbery is another example of stupidity,shallow behaviour and arrogance. A dangerous and most unattractive combination.

People who brag about money, possessions, etc...or love displays of wealth and conspicious consumption. I find it vulgar and crass. And once again shallow and stupid.

Drunks. Boring at best, offensive or even dangerous at their worst. Nothing appealing about it.

People who brag about how uneducated they are and think that knowledge , culture, education and a good mind are not cool and a negative ( and I don't necessarily mean education in an academic sense, one can be educated and have no formal education to speak of, it is all about intellectual curiosity)

Macho men. I don't find posturing attractive in any way whatsover. A real man does not need to exhibit his manliness to one and all....

Swearing. I just find it crude, un-necessary and to me over-used . I prefer someone who has a wider vocabulary and is a little wittier than having to say the "f" word every two words to make a point.

Dirty, unkempt people. Unless you are homeless there is no reason for anyone to smell, be dirty outside of the gym or manual work. Also not keen on people who live in a mess.

People who mistreat animals, elderly people, bullies basically. If you mistreat anyone, but especially vulnerable people or creatures, you are the scum of the earth as far as I am concerned. Only cowards bully.

Women who use their sexuality to get by in life. I would like to believe we women have more to offer than what we look like and how we can service men in life.... They do a disservice to womankind IMO. And women can be beautiful and brainy and do not need to offer themselves on a silver platter to men simply to get ahead.

One of my biggest bugbear though is when talent and hard work is not rewarded but shallow, stupid behaviour is. For example "reality" tv "stars"who become millionaires and seem to be worshipped for having the intellect of pond slime and the moral backbone of jellyfish... That really, really bugs me.

Our society looks up more to actors , athletes and musicians than it does to scientists, surgeons or brainiacs. I cannot fathom how anyone like Paris Hilton can be considered more interesting than Richard Dawkins. The mind boggles.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Oh I almost forgot this one. People at work who talk to me when they see that I am on the phone. If you see me holding my phone to my ear and I'm not talking that means that I am listening. I might be listening to a an actual person, I might be listening to a voice mail greeting that says when someone will be back in the office, I might be listening to a recording that says press 1 for this, press 2 for that......

I've started playing my voice mail messages on speaker phone so that my coworkers know that I'm listening to my messages. I hate having to play my messages 2 or 3 times because people keep talking to me while they're looking at me and they see that I'm on the phone.
There's an easy solution to this. I worked on a project long-distance. For our weekly meetings, which were held by phone, I put up a "teleconference in progress" sign in my cube so my co-workers would know that I was otherwise occupied.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:23 AM

840 posts, read 1,147,380 times
Quote:

Give them the most condescending smile you could manage.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Oh Gosh yes,that's describes me.
Just because I have a neutral expression on my face doesn't mean I'm sad or mad.
People act like everyone is supposed to be smiley all the time.

Its usually men who say it to me. I was in a crisis counseling course once where someone mentioned how annoyed this made them. Our instructor asked us to think about why. There are a lot of issues underpinning this (if it comes from a man to a woman)-- that women are expected to always be attractive and therefore if you aren't smiling, you aren't doing your "job" by making yourself as pretty as possible, that women's concerns aren't real or worth bothering about, so they should always be a happy airhead, and that women should jump to do whatever a man requests of them.

After this analysis, I get SUPER annoyed when someone does this to me-- even if it is another woman. I think telling someone "Smile!" when you have no idea what is on their mind is flat out rude. They could have just gotten fired or lost their house or family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships