Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times

Advertisements

Recently had an issue with a group of guys. There was two of us and six of them. The issue was instigated by them.

I would back myself in self defence vs most people, my friend also but to a lessor extent.
None of us were armed, that I know of. Being armed Isn't common in my part of the world.
The situation was managed to be defused without a serious issue.

My point here is you can be as good as you like in self defence, but if you are outnumbered. In this case 6 to 2.....the odds are stacked against you.

This scenario isn't uncommon in society. Any thoughts welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Act crazy as best you can to unsettle / discombobulate them and exit the environment as deftly as possible. While acting crazy, survey any and all objects / items whatever available to use as weapon of defense and to temporarily stun any would be attackers. Depending on the situation this may mean getting loud and feigning an argument dispute amongst you and your friend or direct a loud outburst at something totally unrelated to why some group may be pursuing you with perceived bad intentions.

This could be say, in a bar with pool table (grab the stick i.e. weapon) acting like a deranged ass while loudly complaining about your last girl friend who dumped you or treated you poorly etc.... basically you want to exit any situation in which you are outmanned as quickly as possible. Loud insanity and bent craziness seems as good of an approach as any.

Fortunately, never have been in such situation. Ideally you'd want to avoid environments where such situation may occur but I realize that's beside the point of your question. It is distracting the larger forces that you want - and exiting the situation promptly while they are distracted. It could be something like starting a fire and having to grab the extinguisher and using it to fog your path out as one example, having someone fake a serious physical condition etc... use your own creativity but have a few scenarios in your playbook for the future. Obviously these need to take into account the type of environment (enclosed vs outdoors, level of security forces, if any nearby etc...) in which these situations occur.

Examples do due diligence: Sporting events attract a certian percentage of drunken brawling hooligan types itching for any reason to exert tribal posturing. Avoid most of these. If you are bent on going, do not, say, wear Yankee uniform in Red Sox bleachers the obvious rivalry type stuff. Or just being an ass toward others to provoke- some idiots ask for it with this sort of behavior and at times i have no compassion for them. That being said it appears you handled whatever the scenario that arose, so kudos to you and your friend! Stay vigilant.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,702 times
Im not quite sure I understand you post, oddly.. but this reminds me of one confrontation I had.

A regular friday night downtown New Haven, with some friends at the bar.

My female friend and I go outside to have a cigarette. Were just chilling minding our own business leaning on the wall, Theres some people at the next door bar outside sitting at tables. We are in our own world though.

4 guys are walking down the street, wasted, loud, laughing etc.

As they walk by us one guy comes up to me and point his finger at me and says to me and her, " youre a f*g and your a s**t"....The other guys are start laughing this guy thinks hes awesome... So I retort, "yea so what?"

These guys are dumbfounded, they have blank faces and keep walking. they get down the street and then they say, "omg you really have nothing to say!?" I responded by saying I dont care..

I really feel like it bothered them more than it bothered us.

Ill just say that both of us are relaxed people and a bit passive

Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM

365 posts, read 490,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
. In this case 6 to 2.....the odds are stacked against you.

The lack of detail that you've left really has me puzzled i'm a guy that loves detail. And without it I'm very stupid and cannot give opinion's or suggestions worth a damn. But I'll try.
First would be placement and Area; I would avoid being next to Ally ways even if you're walking to places. I'd Also like to point out that walking during the night time as a women is one of the worst idea's. If you need to get to under ground places; Such as not common places everyone goes to you'll be forced to go out of public. Which i'd recommend bringing others friends in a bigger group. I cannot really help much without any details sorry, Just list off basic knowledge that was maybe given before.
If you're having issues with self defensive And this has occurred more then once. Either you'll need to hire a security guard for a limited amount of time; Or even worse, take matters into your own hands. [ Don't do, But for safety reasons getting a fire arm.] Could be a good idea. Such as problems like, Breaking&Entering. Personal affair cases and such. You can get a concealed weapons permit in some parts of the world. In the US-Michigan you're allowed to have one, I take very big advantage of this.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:56 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Recently had an issue with a group of guys. There was two of us and six of them. The issue was instigated by them.

I would back myself in self defence vs most people, my friend also but to a lessor extent.
None of us were armed, that I know of. Being armed Isn't common in my part of the world.
The situation was managed to be defused without a serious issue.

My point here is you can be as good as you like in self defence, but if you are outnumbered. In this case 6 to 2.....the odds are stacked against you.

You're right, the odds are stacked against you...part of a good defense, is a good offense, even if that means avoiding confrontation when you know you're outnumbered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships