Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 05:50 AM

485 posts, read 1,840,082 times

Advertisements

It is only a couple of months to the Holiday Season. Many of you will be traveling to the in-laws or immediate family for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I wonder what the average person does during these out of town family get togethers.

Do you sleep in the guest room, or on the floor during these out of town family get togethers? Or do you spend your time at a local Hotel so you can have some private time away from the conflict, small talk and lumpy mattress?

If you spend your evenings at a Hotel, how does it impact your RELATIONSHIP with your family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 06:59 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
Yes, we stay with my parents for 2 weeks over Christmas. It is a wonderful time and we wouldn't do it any other way. There is never any conflict. Small talk? My family loves getting together and spending time together, no such thing as small talk with us. The only bad thing may be a lumpy mattress. My family members also come visit us and stay in our home, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
anywhere we go, if family is nearby we are almost obligated to stay with them--but that is a good thing. we are italian, we would be offended if someone decided to stay at a hotel
during our honeymoon, we went to italy and were planning to meet some new cousins my father had lost contact with for many decades, so while passing through we wanted to visit them--mind you we never laid eyes on eachother. we were told in no uncertain terms that we MUST stay with them---it was wonderful

Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
I am soooo glad that all of my family are here in Los Angeles so there is no "traveling for the holidays" unless its a vacation getaway. The wife's family all live in Moscow or they are traveling for work so holidays are great for us.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:52 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
Depends on whom I was going to be visiting.....if it was my parents or brothers we'd definitly stay with them......grandparents, probably......aunts uncles cousins i'd probably get a hotel.......and in-laws?? DEFINITLY A HOTEL!!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:10 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Most of the family all lives close so it's not an issue.

This Thanksgiving we'll be at our son's and I believe we're staying at his place. It will be in his extra room on a real bed!!

If dil's parents are coming for the same event, we get a hotel room. Not because we don't like them because we do, but a two bedroom apartment gets smaller the more people you put in there.

Personally?? I'd rather stay in a hotel. I like my "me" time.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 AM

303 posts, read 1,386,118 times
Now that I live across the country from my family I have to do the obligatory holiday visit. At first I stayed with relatives and hated it! Due to that fact I counted down the days till the visit was over and started making them shorter I now stay at a hotel.

It's like 1/2 a mile from some relatives. At first they were offended but I simply explained my point. Like... I don't enjoy staying with a smoker being a non-smoker. I don't enjoy staying with someone that likes to keep the heat at 100 when I wouldn't run it at all. I don't enjoy staying with someone who has several small children who are not very well behaved. I could go on and on. It might seem like small things to some but both sides enjoy the visit more when I'm at a hotel. Besides, all they are missing is me getting a good night sleep which I need to make it a good visit.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
It is only a couple of months to the Holiday Season. Many of you will be traveling to the in-laws or immediate family for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I wonder what the average person does during these out of town family get togethers.

Do you sleep in the guest room, or on the floor during these out of town family get togethers? Or do you spend your time at a local Hotel so you can have some private time away from the conflict, small talk and lumpy mattress?

If you spend your evenings at a Hotel, how does it impact your RELATIONSHIP with your family?
We choose the hotel route for many reasons:

1. Reason you mentioned above: so that we can spend quality time w/ my family and relatives, and then escape to our hotel room to escape the family drama

2. Some parents (like ours) just don't get the idea that we are adults -- they still think that we're minors, even though we've been living together for years now. So, the hotel route is a good idea to avoid the "fight for control" drama.

3. The family and relatives snoring

4. Will write more when I have the time...

Old 10-02-2008, 09:55 AM

53 posts, read 332,100 times
Stay with the family! We would stay at a hotel if there was no room!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 PM

485 posts, read 1,840,082 times
Default No one sleeps at the relatives house

When I go to the relatives house it seems like there is alot of shouting, yelling and anger. Everyone sleeps so little that the day is full of short tempers. The houses are small, so if there is some tension in the air there is no place to escape.

At my wife's family, everyone sleeps at her sisters house except for us. They put 14 people in a one thousand square foot home and there is only a few hours of quiet. By 5 am, the early risers are up and they turn on the TV, expecting everyone who is trying to sleep will not be bothered. When I complained they looked at me like I had two heads.

Also with only one shower the place gets a little smelly with many people skipping the bath and that will cause people to have BO.

A hotel at what ever the price is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships