Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
BINGO!

That's got to be the worst ever!! :thumbup:

I can't believe you said that! My (now deceased) Father was an ex-Marine Gunny Sgt during WWII. On board ship, they were limited to two sheets regardless of the "circumstance". He thought that should be the rule in our house as well!!

Posted with TapaTalk
Well I consider myself privileged then, we were allowed 3 sheets growing up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I don't have cable and use an antenna. Cheap? I think not. Why pay for tv if you don't have to. I can watch shows
on the internet! I suppose one is considered cheap if they don't have an IPhone? I just have a regular flip phone. Boy, I must really be cheap! But I'll tell you one thing I don't live pay check to paycheck either!
If you arent making a great salary, i can understand trying to save where you can. However, if you can afford some of the nicer things in life to make things more pleasant and convenient why not have them. Make your life enjoyable without going broke because, as we all know, you cant take the money with you when youre gone.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:49 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedivec View Post
These things actually sound pretty great to me!

Anyhow, I used to rent from a guy who was so cheap, he'd reuse disposable paper vacuum cleaner bags. He'd remove the bag from the vacuum, walk it down to the dumpster (he lived right on the complex), and dump it. He'd dig out every last compacted bit with his fingers. (He never used garbage bags, either). Bits of dirt, lint, and God only knows what would fly all over him and everywhere else. Needless to say, he wasn't a very good landlord.
I've knows folks who reuse the bag. They cut it at the top, empty out the dirt and staple it back closed.
Not sanitary at all and makes me wonder if some of the dirt is getting back into the air when you try to
reseal it like that. Bags are not expensive. In the recycling bin here someone had emptied the dirt into it! Why? Dirt is not recyclable. I about gagged when I lifted the lid to put my recycling in!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:12 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I have family that are cheap but for the strangest things. My grandparents kept telling me not to spend money on things like ice for the cooler or Ziploc bags. I found it strange they didn't want me to spend money on those things because they were too expensive even though they had no problem with me spending money on the gas, food, and lodging to visit them about 1,000 miles away. My dad will tell me not to spend money on certain types of clothes or food but has told me to move to my home state even though it would be a pay cut of $12k or more.
That is not cheap that is frugal, they only want to spend money on what they see as having value to them.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:44 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
The cheapest guy I ever met would literally sit in the lunch room and when he saw someone about to throw away part of their lunch would beg them for it.

He qualified for a company car, but refused to put gas into it, instead insisted on waiting sometimes 4 hours for his roommate to get off of work for a free ride home.

On the rare occasions the boss would take us out to lunch he would order 3 or 4 meals worth of food, then have it all boxed up so he could eat it at home.

He was a smoker, but I never actually seen him buy his own cigarettes always getting them from the other smokers at work.

he would only buy his clothes at thrift stores when those thrift stores were having sales, never would pay full price for anything.

He had a roommate in a 2 bedroom apartment where they split the rent of $600 a month, and then tried to rent out his room to another guy while he slept on the couch, so that the new guy would pay him $240 rent, meaning he could live there only paying $60 a month.

Back then not many had cell phones, his roommate had a home phone that he refused to pay for, so when he wanted to talk to his family that lived long distance, he would call them collect and wait for them to get to work to call him back.

When he wanted to go visit his family for Christmas he caught a ride with a coworker half way across the state covering no expenses, then hitchhiked across 2 states with truckers who thought he was homeless.

The worst part of it was that this was in 1994, and he had a base salary of $36K a year, with bonuses he was making somewhere around $60K a year. Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:52 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
At my last job (a huge company) I could view all the conference rooms' calendars. If I saw a meeting scheduled through 12-1 I knew it would be catered (lunch included) meeting. I'd show up at 1PM to eat FREE left overs. I could see this in advance and know not to bring a lunch that day.

My favorite words: Free, cheap, 2 for 1, all you can eat
Least favorite words: tip [spits to cleanse the mouth], valet, boutique

Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM

Back in the 1970s you could make close to free phone calls from phone booths.

Let's say you wanted to make a long distance call that would cost $0.45. You need two public phones side by side to do this. You stick a dime in the phone and dial the number. The operator comes on and asks you to deposit $0.35. You get the other phone's earpiece and stick it next to your phone's mouthpiece. You stick the thrity five cents into the other phone; the operator is listening for seven dings (one ding equals five cents). She hears the dings and enables your call. You hit the change return on the other phone.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:00 AM

Here's one of my favorites.

Airline cocktails, $7 or $8 right? What a rip. Orange juice is free on the plane, right?

It is perfectly legal to bring those little unopened once ounce bottles of vodka through TSA security as long as the bottles fit in your one quart bag along with your toothpaste and stuff.

Get on the plane and order orange juice.

You can figure out the rest.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 AM

294 posts, read 372,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
At my last job (a huge company) I could view all the conference rooms' calendars. If I saw a meeting scheduled through 12-1 I knew it would be catered (lunch included) meeting. I'd show up at 1PM to eat FREE left overs. I could see this in advance and know not to bring a lunch that day.

My favorite words: Free, cheap, 2 for 1, all you can eat
Least favorite words: tip [spits to cleanse the mouth], valet, boutique
Why are you against tipping?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I don't have cable and use an antenna. Cheap? I think not. Why pay for tv if you don't have to. I can watch shows
on the internet! I suppose one is considered cheap if they don't have an IPhone? I just have a regular flip phone. Boy, I must really be cheap! But I'll tell you one thing I don't live pay check to paycheck either!
You should upgrade and get a Roku player! I gave up cable last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships