Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 05:38 AM

2 posts, read 11,224 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I need your advice.
A year ago I moved to another country for my ex-boyfriend, it's far away from my own country, even another continent. To be more specific, I'm from Europe and I moved to South America.
Of course my parents freaked out when I told them I would move there. I lived there for a year and my parents could never get used to it, although I lived in other countries before (I haven't lived in my own country for 3 years). They said it's too far and too dangerous etc. They never stopped telling me I should come back to Europe, although I had a boyfriend. When I broke up with my ex I returned to Europe without much thinking, I just wanted to be far away from him and be around my friends. I didn't go back to my own country though, but to another European country where I have many friends.

I told my parents that I'll stay in Europe and there were super happy. Later I realized that I made this decision way too fast and that I actually don't wanna leave South America yet. Not for my ex, but for my life. I built a life there, I have friends there, I have a great job there. And I wanna travel more. If I leave that country now I know I'll never return. So I'd like to live there for at least another year. I didn't tell my parents yet though because I know they'll freak out, especially my mom. I cannot even describe how much against they are about me living in South America. And they were so happy that I told them I'll move to Europe permanently.

So yea, I really don't know how to tell them. Has anyone ever been in a situation like that? Any good advice? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 06:50 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I have never been in that situation, but honesty is the best policy. Tell them you thought you wanted to stay in Europe but have built a life and miss South America. I assume you are fairly young and you are only young once in your life. Once you are married and have children it is unlikely you will be able to travel the world like you can now.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:08 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Do what YOU want. Your parents will get over it, or they won't. Either way, it is your life to live how you please. Your parents do not own you and they cannot tell you how to live your life.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:40 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times
Set up a Skype account for them and let them know that you'll be able to Skype frequently so that they can see you. Maybe that will make them feel a bit better about you being so far away.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
How old are you? Just curious. When I was 20 I wanted to do a semester abroad. It was to a safe country, with a group from the US, and was temporary. My mom freaked out. To this day, I have no idea why she was so against the idea. I went anyway without their support, and had the time of my life. Her attitude at that time still affects our relationship to this day.

Go where you will be happy.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:26 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
In staying in South America, will you be able to budget visiting your parents once a year? It sounds like they are upset having you so far away from them and just miss you a lot. And being a young woman, of course they worry for your safety.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:24 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Are you currently employed still at that job? Do you support yourself without the help of your parents? Your parents said it is not safe in the area you are so is there a near area that you could live that is with less crime?
I agree with others to be honest with your parents. If you are an adult you have to find your own path. Unless it is dangerous or that you cant support yourself your parents should be happy for you even if they would rather you live near. There are always visits.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:37 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
I find most people never travel far from home and they are the very ones who have no understanding of anyone wanting to travel and experience life!!! Especially parents though. Especially parents of a daughter
And see, I love to travel. Am a fearless,yet cautious traveler but gotta tell ya there is nothing I wanna do or see in South America. Just like some of my family and friends don't "get" that I love,love Manhattan and parts of Europe. Different strokes......
Now having said all that--the point is-only YOU know how YOU feel about what you want out of life. It's your journey. Your Path. Try to assure your parents you will be very cautious. Try the Skype idea.
One of my friends is working in South America right now and he got a Magic Jack with International calling so calls to or from that number are like local calling. Is that available to you guys?
I say Go For It but don't hesitate or act unsure because that sends red flags to your parents. Be assertive and firm but kind and understanding of their concerns.
Go-enjoy!!!!!

Old 08-25-2013, 01:08 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
I moved abroad when I was 20. Came back, moved again at 25. Parents had their opinions about it, fair enough. Did it stop me? No. Did they stop loving me and caring for me? No.

Think simply, live simply.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 11,224 times
Thanks for your answers!

I'm 25 years old. I'm not dependent on my parents, I'm making my own money, selfemployed and I also do have a job in that South American country.

Sure, South American cities are not as safe as Europe or the US, but I'm not naive, I know what I can do and what not. In the whole year I was living there nothing ever happened to me because I'm careful.

And my parents already have Skype. My mother even has Whatsapp. I'm permanently in contact with my parents, at least every couple of days, via Whatsapp, Facebook or Skype. So they cannot even complain that I don't contact them enough.

Plus, in the whole year I was living there I visited my parents 3(!!!!) times. That's a lot for that distance. Plus, they even visited me once, so they saw me 4 times in one year, which is more than some people who live in the same country.
I also plan to do it like that in the future. Fly home at least twice a year. And I'm not really planning on staying there forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships