Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:55 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,589,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Retired teachers are used to controlling the conversation. I used to lead a discussion group and hated to see retired teachers show up. Every retired teacher I know is like this to a certain degree.
I think this is true. I am a teacher, not retired yet, and I am known for "lecturing" at inappropriate moments. I try to put a lid on it, though, since I've become aware of how annoying it is. I suspect the OP's Mrs. Yakkity hasn't figured it out yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 12:15 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I think this is true. I am a teacher, not retired yet, and I am known for "lecturing" at inappropriate moments. I try to put a lid on it, though, since I've become aware of how annoying it is. I suspect the OP's Mrs. Yakkity hasn't figured it out yet.
Military officers are like this, too. It's as if they think they still have a captive audience or something.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,733,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I know someone who is like this and I suspect she drives the home improvement people away with her ramblings. It is unfortunate because she has a lot of work she needs to have done on her house.

The woman I used to know did this with painters. They were coming over to paint the apartment. She told me she was going to stay to "help" and "let them know what to do". I told her to leave them alone and let them do their job! They are PROFESSIONAL PAINTERS and know what they're doing and don't need her input.

Nope. She INSISTED on staying and yapping at them and telling them exactly what to do and how to do it. The result? They slapped on one coat of paint and high-tailed it out of there.

A few weeks later, the paint started peeling off the walls and coming off in huge pieces. She took the opportunity to let me know that "see? they needed my help". I told her "NO, your help is what made them slap on the paint and run out the door! Had you left them alone, they would have cleaned and primed the walls and done the job perfectly like they do in every other apartment in the complex!"

Could you imagine??? How freaking ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,172,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I handle auto claims, and there was a claimant who kept me on the phone for at LEAST 45 minutes at a time. One time I clocked it as over an hour. And this was all her talking. I don't know how she expected me to process her claim or get ANY work done, for that matter. One time I literally told her that I had to go to the bathroom & that I was hanging up. I curse the day she comes back with another claim (fingers crossed).

My husband has a friend who is a grown man...yet he's like a big child. He talks non stop, half of the time it doesn't make sense, and he can be down right offensive at times. I've told my husband several times that I can tell he hates women...to which he responds 'well he's been burned by quite a few women before.' Sorry, they 'burned' him because he's a complete idiot who has no social skills. He moves a lot too...ticks, squirmish. I really think there's something wrong with him.
I would be more understanding if I knew the yakkety person had some sort of bona-fide personality disorder and talked non-stop because of that. I deal with crazy people quite well.

It's people who appear to be high-functioning, yet have utterly zero interest in others except as sounding boards for their own droning on, that I have a hard time understanding. Or liking or tolerating, for that matter.

Anyhow, I did work at this job all afternoon and was amused by the fact their cleaning lady (who they pay by the hour) was there and most graciously accomodated the non-stop droning on. Of course, she is being paid by the hour!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,332,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I would be more understanding if I knew the yakkety person had some sort of bona-fide personality disorder and talked non-stop because of that. I deal with crazy people quite well.

It's people who appear to be high-functioning, yet have utterly zero interest in others except as sounding boards for their own droning on, that I have a hard time understanding. Or liking or tolerating, for that matter.

Anyhow, I did work at this job all afternoon and was amused by the fact their cleaning lady (who they pay by the hour) was there and most graciously accomodated the non-stop droning on. Of course, she is being paid by the hour!
Im a cleaning lady and that is exactly why I charge by the hour.
You might try what I do. I look at my watch and say "I" need to quit talking and get to work because they are paying by the hour and I should be working not talking. In your case I would put it on the GC. Gotta get busy George wants this done by....... Remember "you" are the chatty one who needs to shut up. So if they try it again you interrupt with another apology. Sometimes it takes a few.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 PM

23,238 posts, read 29,080,592 times
I only make a phone call to my cousin in Milwaukee once a year. And when I do, I get my crossword puzzle book out, as I'll need it, as she talks in a monologue for over an hour, occasionally asking: Are you listening?

It's hard for me to believe people can talk nonstop like that, and seemingly, not even take time to take a breath!
It's like all the sentences run together without periods or commas!

I once read, for whatever it's worth, these types harbor a lot of anger!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,183,178 times
I have a coworker like this. And to make it so bad, she is AWARE of her behavior - she has actually said stuff like, "I know I never shut up! At least I'm aware!" When I first started working with her, I did EVERYTHING I could to avoid her. However, I've gotten to know her, and OTHER than this (which is annoying), she's a good person, has led a sad life, has been mistreated/taken advantage of, has NO friends, and all her family/parents are gone. Hell, I just let her talk, she needs a friend and a listening ear. Sometimes when I'm driving or don't have anything to do, I just call her and let her talk and talk and talk. I listen to the radio and throw in "Uh-huh" or "OMG!" every now and then.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:54 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,169,153 times
LOL I have wondered this for years. I think I've been trapped by the best. When I was 25 I worked for a woman who was known for this, and everyone avoided her. She got me one night as I was pulling out from the office in my car. It was 7 pm and I'd stayed behind to finish working on some documentation with her. She ran out of the building and waved my car down, to tell me that she had an idea about the manual we were writing. After 5 mins, I asked her if I should stop my car and park again, and come back into the office. She said no, no, but kept talking. At that age I was too wimpy to interrupt her and ended up pulling out of the parking lot more than TWO HOURS later.

I don't know how these people go through life without being able to guage the interest of their audience. Sleepy eyes, yawning, looking away a lot, edging away, walking backwards... looking at your watch and saying OMG!!! That CAN'T be the time, can it?

So what has caused them to not learn the art of conversation? Why do they think monologues are conversations? And why don't they read discussion forum threads like this?

We know why.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:19 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,179,371 times
I'm chatty myself but am VERY cued into social cues, so I only get talkative with other talkative people - and it has to be about something SUBSTANTIAL. I have an older neighbor whose husband is one of those monosyllabic grunters, so when she and I are visiting I get an earful. I wouldn't mind it except the conversations are about the most mundane things like a mirror in her family that an aunt got instead of her mother so now it should be her daughter's, not her niece's, and that kind of thing - which I MIGHT be mildly interested in if it were my family's mirror, but probably not even then. My SIL is even worse, but thankfully she lives 2500 miles away and I can see it's her when she calls, so I can decide whether I want to take the time to hear about her shopping trip to Target, what she made for dinner last night, and her two cats' latest antics. I find it really exhausting, but she's family, so I put on a brave face (or ear) and let her chatter away,

On the other hand, when I go visit my two closest friends who live 4 hours away, I stay for the weekend and we blab nonstop - about science-y things (we're all scientists), cultural topics, and that sort of thing. I can do that with them for 2 days straight and not get my fill.

We all talk about what's important to us, I guess, but the trick it to gauge whether it's important to your audience, and sadly, some people just can't do that.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:32 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,955,482 times
I had a friend like that who talks incessantly. I say 'had' because she took a few verbal shots at me and I told her where to take her judgmental self. Whenever I would say anything she would talk louder. It was extremely annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships